Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Episode Introductions

I'm watching my TNG Season 1 episodes... The intros are like 5 mins long. With ENT, they used to be a few mins long, now they're like 1 minute. Also, they tend to show a scene that would belong to the middle or second half of the episode! What's up with that? If they're going to show us "part of the episode" for an intro, that doesn't occur untill 30 mins into the show, then why show it?

I dunno, I'd just pre-fer longer intros that are actually the beginning of the show.

what? how do you mean....it "starts" the episode, with ENterprise, its usualy a big action sequence, or in the case of Twilight an OMG!

BORING

I'm sorry, but thats what id say to it, Earth being destroyed gets us ansy for the theme song and the ads (if you watch on TV! :laugh:) to get over and done with..Earth being destroyed is better

It would be much more effective to go into the episode "not knowing" Earth would be destroyed, promos put aside. Watch any episode of the previous Trek shows or any other TV show for that matter. The intro is allways the beginning of the show, not some "kewl" flash forward to get people hyped. I prefer quallity over hype. :laugh:

ah, but its not hype, because with the temporal nature of the episode, its not really out of place...

what about Impluse?

Well, if it were "once in a while", I don't mind. However, when they did it for "Similitude", it was just annoying. I was like "What's the point, when they'll show this again at the end of the episode? Why not give us a character moment instead?"

Exactly my point. Becuase of that intro, we know in advance that T'Pol goes nuts, taking all the suspense out of the episode. I'd rather the intro have been the NX-01 finding the Vulcan ship or whatever, and the "T'Pol screaming and raving while being strapped to a bio bed in sickbay" scene be placed later in the episode where it belongs.

I partially agree with the Captain here, they are doing a lot of that BUT the true name of the starting scenes before the credits roll is the teaser not intro. With ENT struggling for a greater audience it makes sense for them to want the most effective hooks at the start as possible but it happens alot on ENT, especially since the launch of the New Direction.

I can see the reasoning behind the way TPTB are doing the teasers. The current way is more inclined to gain someones attention quickly and make them stay tuned in for the entire episode to find out what happened, thus raising the raitings.

Stardate:213879.8

I agree they should be a little longer.Another thing I don't like is the way they just cut out real quick.In TNG the intros kinda faded out and I liked that.In ENT they just snap out.I don't know maybe I am being pickie :laugh:

It would be much more effective to go into the episode "not knowing" Earth would be destroyed, promos put aside.  Watch any episode of the previous Trek shows or any other TV show for that matter.  The intro is allways the beginning of the show, not some "kewl" flash forward to get people hyped.  I prefer quallity over hype. :dude:

It would be better to go into the episode not knowing Earth would be destroyed huh? Well I can honestly say that when Earth was destroyed at the beggining I didn't know about it before hand, so whats the diff? While I think most episodes should follow the plot chronologically, I think in this case it helped the episode. We never thought we'd see Earth destroyed during season 3. Seeing that at the beggining of the episode was such a shocker. This biggest I've ever seen in Star Trek. And because it was destroyed it created the main problem for the rest of the show for Archer, dealing with the fact that it was gone. I'm not trying to bash you opinion, I just think it was better in my opinion.

I must say though, they seem to be showing intros that should chronologically later... (similitude for example)

All in all the ENT intro style hasn't bothered me much. There have been quite a lot of the "this happened now figure out how" intros. They probably shouldn't do it the same way every time. All of the other series have done the same thing just not as often. one think that did bother me about Similtude was the teaser and the intro had the same scene. Could of done with out that.

Well, I was just using "Twilight" for an example. I don't mind it once in a while. However, a lot of episodes have had "flash forward" intro's instead of an actual beginning. I'd much rather the episode, after the tv theme and credits, pick up where the intro leaves off.

Also, is it just me, or are the episodes only 41 or 42 minutes now?

everyone has made intersting points and get this.............

Click for Spoiler:

i may be wrong and right!