Sign in to follow this  
removed

NHL or NFL?

Which is better?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

• NHL (National Hockey League)
    • NFL (National Football League)

I'm going to say hockey for sure. It's so much faster and more entertaining than football. And hockey is the king of all sports. Lol.

I used these two sports because these seem to be the two most discussed sports here in the Sports Forum.

So, what do you think?

I'm going to say hockey for sure. It's so much faster and more entertaining than football. And hockey is the king of all sports. Lol.

I used these two sports because these seem to be the two most discussed sports here in the Sports Forum.

So, what do you think?

NHL? Is it still around? People still play Hockey?? :eek:

What we could do to get a better overall look at which is the more popular sport is look at the chamionship game TV ratings. Stanley Cup vs Super Bowl. Which do you suppose would win?

NHL? Is it still around? People still play Hockey?? :eek:

What we could do to get a better overall look at which is the more popular sport is look at the chamionship game TV ratings. Stanley Cup vs Super Bowl. Which do you suppose would win?

In Canada: Stanley Cup

In America: Super Bowl

Lol

And hockey is sooo superior to football. They stop too much in the NFL. They play for 10 seconds, a whistle is blown, the players walk around doing nothing for 3 minutes, they play for 10 seconds, a whistle is blown, the players walk around doing nothing for 3 minutes, they play for 10 seconds, a whistle is blown, the players walk around doing nothing for 3 minutes...................................................... Lol.

NHL? Is it still around? People still play Hockey??   :eek:

In Canada: Stanley Cup

In America: Super Bowl

Lol

And hockey is sooo superior to football. They stop too much in the NFL. They play for 10 seconds, a whistle is blown, the players walk around doing nothing for 3 minutes, they play for 10 seconds, a whistle is blown, the players walk around doing nothing for 3 minutes, they play for 10 seconds, a whistle is blown, the players walk around doing nothing for 3 minutes...................................................... Lol.

Lets go by League Revenues if not Ratings then. You know the old saying about Hockey don't you?

"I went to a fight and a Hockey game broke out". One thing about Hockey though, they keep denture manufacturers in business :lol:

Most people I know look at hockey as Figure Skating with a stick (Just watch out for #7 Tonya Harding, she does a mean body check B) )

Seriously though, Football is a game of strength and strategy and the NHL season in all of the states I've lived in goes virtually by unnoticed, High School football gets more space in the sports pages and local news then Hockey.

Really? Because here the Oilers get huge amounts of coverage, the Eskimoes get a bit less coverage but still alot, and high school football gets virtually ZERO coverage unless it is in some high school newspaper or something like that. Lol.

Really? Because here the Oilers get huge amounts of coverage, the Eskimoes get a bit less coverage but still alot, and high school football gets virtually ZERO coverage unless it is in some high school newspaper or something like that. Lol.

The Oilers and Eskimos are football or hockey? I know virtually nothing about Hockey.

If you were to read the local newspaper here on any given day it would be filled (the sports page) with College football, Pro Football or High School football. Other sports like Golf and Tennis get a little space but in all honesty I can't say that I can recall the last time I saw anything about Hockey (in terms of an article). When I lived in the DC area there would be articles (small ones mostly)

The Oilers and Eskimos are football or hockey? I know virtually nothing about Hockey.

If you were to read the local newspaper here on any given day it would be filled (the sports page) with College football, Pro Football or High School football. Other sports like Golf and Tennis get a little space but in all honesty I can't say that I can recall the last time I saw anything about Hockey (in terms of an article). When I lived in the DC area there would be articles (small ones mostly)

The Oilers are hockey (NHL) and the Eskimoes are football (CFL). Geuss I should have specified. Lol.

You should see our papers lately. Last week the Eskies won the grey cup. There were big articles for a couple days, but then it was taken over by articles on the Heritage Classic (The world's first outdoor NHL game). The two games between the Edmonton Oilers and the Montreal Canadiens were played last night (i went. heres a thread: http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?showtopic=6965) and the newspaper today was huge. there was an enitire section on it for the last two days. You should see it now. You have to remove the front page to see it all: the picture of the outdoor hockey rink is two whole pages long and the rest of the top section is all hockey from last night. Finally, after that it actually gets into the news. lol.

I voted for the NHL because I LOVE HOCKEY and don't really care about football.

The NFL is obviously more popular because its a traditional American game and most Americans live and die by their football team. Americans just don't care about hockey (for the most part). I mean c'mon, the New Jersay Devils are unbeaten in nine and the Cup champions and they can't even fill their rink.

Hockey is the opposite, wildly popular in Canada as it is the traditional game and football has supporters but can't touch hockey.

Frankly, I don't care if Americans don't like hockey. I like it. It's fast paced unlike baseball (which I also like), its nearly constant action unlike football (I heard someone conducted a study and determined that the ball is in motion for only 8 minutes out of an entire hour of football) and hockey is relatively low scoring unlike basketball (basketball is good but just seems to be too back and forth for my tastes). Soccer is easily the most popular game on earth but it is just too low scoring for me.

These are just my views and I don't expect everyone to agree with them.

Of course, the NFL is a better league because every team has a fair chance and thigns can be radically different year to year. In the NHL, the Stanley Cup hasn't been outside of Colorado, Detroit, New Jersey and Dallas in nine years. But for my money, hockey is still more exciting.

I'm sure there's a large enough following for the NHL in the US (Though I have heard on a couple of occasions that the NHL may fold), It's just everyplace I've lived and most people I've known have all looked at Hockey as a "minor" pro sport. I think I've known more Soccer fans then Hockey fans actually, and Soccer is also seen as a Minor sport (I know it's the most popular world wide though).

Personally, I really only care about NFL Football and NCAA College Basketball. I've never been able to get into Hockey, it may be fast paced but it's not the quantity of action but rather the quality of action that I want.

I would have to say Hockey. Why did you choose the Association? You should of chosen the sport.

GO VANCOUVER CANUCKS!

I would have to say Hockey. Why did you choose the Association? You should of chosen the sport.

GO VANCOUVER CANUCKS!

To tell you the truth I have NO idea why I chose the league instead of the sport. Oh well.

Hockey for me too!! A good hockey game is a thing of beauty and a great game is magical!!!! Just thinking about the amazing gold medal game in Salt Lake City sends chills down my spine!!!!!

I've never been into NFL football. I haven't really watched it in years but when I did watch the occassional game I always found it really boring.

Of coures I don't think Americans have ever REALLY thanked us Canadians for creating their sporting culture. Afterall, baseball was played in Canada first, basketball was invented by a Canadian, a visiting Canadian football team introduced the forward pass to American football. What would you do without us!! :laugh:

Hockey for me too!!  A good hockey game is a thing of beauty and a great game is magical!!!!  Just thinking about the amazing gold medal game in Salt Lake City sends chills down my spine!!!!!

I've never been into NFL football. I haven't really watched it in years but when I did watch the occassional game I always found it really boring.

Of coures I don't think Americans have ever REALLY thanked us Canadians for creating their sporting culture. Afterall, baseball was played in Canada first, basketball was invented by a Canadian, a visiting Canadian football team introduced the forward pass to American football.  What would you do without us!!  B)

I've actually got the opposite opinion as you. Hockey and Baseball are 2 of the most boring games I've ever watched. I actually get more enjoyment watching professional poker then from Hockey.

A Canadian team threw the first forward pass?

http://www.slu.edu/publications/gc/v6-6/news_24.shtml

http://www.prismnet.com/~wonka/football/fb_history.htm

http://www.footballresearch.com/articles/f...m?topic=1stpass

All of these articles seem to point to American College and Pro teams for the first passes in their respective leagues all due to a rules change around 1905 or 1906.

Basketball was invented in 1891 by Dr. James Naismith, in Springfield, Massachusetts.

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20000822.html

And Baseball being played in Canada first? Here's an article I found on Baseball's origins:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_online.../2003/04/30/sc/

Also this:

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blbaseball.htm

It seems that Baseball has been around in one form or another for centuries.

Click for Spoiler:

Your last name isn't Chekov is it? :laugh: What would we do without you (Canada)? Well judging by the discrepancies in the above history I think we'd have more accurate history books :laugh: Just kidding of course B)

James Naismith was a Canadian though.

Born near Almonte, Ontario on November 6, 1861, James was the eldest son of Scottish immigrants John and Margaret Naismith.

From the Dr. James Naismith Foundation

I can't find my football source unfortunately. I'll give you that one until I find it.

Your information says Alexander Cartwright's rules were published in 1845. In Canada a game resembling modern baseball was being played in 1838. I think our baseball historians will always argue with American historians on this one. :laugh:

James Naismith was a Canadian though.

Born near Almonte, Ontario on November 6, 1861, James was the eldest son of Scottish immigrants John and Margaret Naismith.

From the Dr. James Naismith Foundation

I can't find my football source unfortunately. I'll give you that one until I find it.

Your information says Alexander Cartwright's rules were published in 1845. In Canada a game resembling modern baseball was being played in 1838. I think our baseball historians will always argue with American historians on this one. :laugh:

James Naismith was born in Canada but became a Naturlized American citizen and lived the majority of his life it would seem in the United States. So I would call him a Canadian born American. If he had been born in the US and then moved to Canada and became a Canadian citizen then I'd call him an American born Canadian.

For Baseball:

Forget Abner Doubleday, Alexander Cartwright and that rounders theory -- the seeds of our national pastime were planted four millennia ago on the banks of the Nile.

The Oilers? Arent they the Titans now? Just kidding

NFL ALL THE WAY, BABY!!!!!!

GO DOLPHINS!!!

Edited by 8247

Actually, this is a tough choice for me. I enjoy both Hockey and Football greatly. During this time of the year I watch Hockey on weeknights and Football on the weekends. :laugh: However, if I'm forced to pick one I would say that I like Football slightly better. I do think Hockey is an exciting sport though. I just wish there wasn't as much fighting in it as there is.

Living in Massachusetts by Hockey team is the Boston Bruins. And my Football team is the NE Patriots who managed another win today somehow. They are now 9-2.. :laugh:

I do think Hockey is an exciting sport though. I just wish there wasn't as much fighting in it as there is.

alot of the fighting is all in fun though. you can see the players talk before fighting, go at it, and then pat each other on the back later in the game. lol