Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Bauer

The Heritage Classic

Are you going to the first ever outdoor NHL game? I don't know if you actually live in Edmonton and I figure that it was very hard to get tickets. If you're not going, I'm sure you tried to.

My dad has season tickets, therefore he was able to score two tickets to the Heritage Classic (for those who dont know, the NHL's first ever outdoor hockey game). My mom wanted to go with him, but its going to be pretty darn cold (almost -15 degrees celcius) so he is most possibly taking me. The thing is that I go to all the awesome games (ex. Jarri Kuri retirement, the Grant Fuhr retirement, etc.) so my mom wants to go to this one. But I still might be able to go. I have my fingers crossed.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with what Jack is referring to, this coming Saturday is Heritage Classic Weekend. An Edmonton Oilers legends team will be playing the Montreal Canadiens legends team followed by the current Edmonton Oilers playing the current Montreal Canadiens at Commonwealth Stadium. These games will be played outdoors. Commonwealth Stadium holds around 65,000 people I think and it is sold out. This will be the first regular season outdoor game in the league's history.

I wish I could be there.

Here are artist renderings of how the stadium will look:

Click for Spoiler:

venue1.gifvenue3.gif

Oh man I so want to go.

Here's a few pics of them setting up.

Click for Spoiler:

DSCN5475.jpg

Click for Spoiler:

DSCN5493.jpg

The lines are painted on the ice, but snow covers them. Lol.

Click for Spoiler:

DSCN5517.jpg

EDIT: Ugh. Look what I just found out:

Click for Spoiler:

2003-11-20 - OILERS HOME ARENA RENAMED REXALL PLACE

The Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club and Edmonton-based Katz Group Inc., Canada’s largest pharmacy retailer, today announced a 10-year sponsorship and marketing agreement under which Katz Group will own the naming rights to the Oilers?home arena and serve as exclusive health care partner.

The centrepiece of this agreement is Rexall Place, formerly known as Skyreach Centre. Rexall Place is the home of the Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club and other exciting sports and entertainment events, including the 2004 Bank of Montreal Canadian Figure Skating Championships, the 2004 Juno Awards and the 2004 Canadian Country Music Week. The changeover to Rexall Place will begin immediately, as the Edmonton Oilers continue their 25th Anniversary season in the National Hockey League. Rexall, Katz Group’s private label, lies at the heart of Katz Group’s strategy for launching the Rexall brand across more than 1,500 pharmacies in Canada. One of the oldest and most trusted names in Canada, Rexall has offered quality health care products since 1904. Rexall will celebrate its 100th anniversary in 2004 with the launch of innovative new product lines and an aggressive advertising campaign.

http://www.edmontonoilers.com/pressbox/

Yuck. I always loved the name Skyreach Centre and when I heard Skyreach's time was up, I hoped it would be a cool name. Rexal Place? Blah!

Edited by bysty

Yeah, Rexall doesn't sound nearly as cool as Skyreach. I'm sure you'll eventually get used to it.

Man, those images Takara posted are awesome! I think it would be so cool to go. BUt Bysty, do you know why they chose a game against Montreal? Is it because they are the most successful Canadian team or is it a scheduling thing? I think if they did a Battle of Alberta thing it would be a lot cooler, maybe on Hockey Day in Canada. It would still be cold enough.

OH MY GOD! I just had the coolest idea: what if for Hockey day in Canada they had an outdoor game for each of the three matchups? A Toronto-Montreal game at Skydome, a Battle of Alberta at Commonwealth and an Ottawa-Vancouver matchup in BC (I don't know where they could do it in BC). I think that would be a true celebration of the game we love.

Edited by Jack_Bauer

Yeah, Rexall doesn't sound nearly as cool as Skyreach. I'm sure you'll eventually get used to it.

Man, those images Takara posted are awesome! I think it would be so cool to go. BUt Bysty, do you know why they chose a game against Montreal? Is it because they are the most successful Canadian team or is it a scheduling thing? I think if they did a Battle of Alberta thing it would be a lot cooler, maybe on Hockey Day in Canada. It would still be cold enough.

OH MY GOD! I just had the coolest idea: what if for Hockey day in Canada they had an outdoor game for each of the three matchups? A Toronto-Montreal game at Skydome, a Battle of Alberta at Commonwealth and an Ottawa-Vancouver matchup in BC (I don't know where they could do it in BC). I think that would be a true celebration of the game we love.

That would be amazing! A Canada-wide outdoor NHL day. Sweet!

I think they the Montreal game because they are the most successful. They planned it a long time ago and if they wanted to they could have waited for a Edmonton vs Calgary home game, but Montreal has a way better history. The Calgary all-stars team would have Lanny McDonald, but....... just look at the past heroes on Montreal. That beats the Calgary team anyday.

MONTREAL MEGASTARS ROSTER

FORWARDS

LaFleur, Guy

Brunet, Benoit

Carbonneau, Guy

Connor, Cam

Courtnall, Russ

Deblois, Lucien

Lambert, Yvon

Muller, Kirk

Napier, Mark

Nilan, Chris

Richer, Stephane

Shutt, Steve

Smith, Bobby

DEFENCEMEN

Daigneault, J.J.

Gingras, Gaston

Lapointe, Guy

Ludwig, Craig

Robinson, Larry

GOALIES

Penney, Steve

Sevigny, Richard

EDMONTON MEGASTARS ROSTER

FORWARDS

Gretzky, Wayne

Anderson, Glenn

Chipperfield, Ron

Hunter, Dave

Kurri, Jari

Linseman, Ken

Lumley, Dave

Semenko, Dave

Simpson, Craig

Tikkanen, Esa

DEFENCEMEN

Beukeboom, Jeff

Coffey, Paul

Fogolin Jr., Lee

Gregg, Randy

Huddy, Charlie

Lowe, Kevin

McSorley, Marty

Muni, Craig

GOALIES

Fuhr, Grant

Ranford, Bill

Ok. Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Semenko, Simpson, Tikkanen, Coffey, Huddy, McSorley (yuck lol), Fuhr, Ranford...

EDMONTON IS GOING TO ROCK!!!

That would be amazing! A Canada-wide outdoor NHL day. Sweet!

I think they the Montreal game because they are the most successful. They planned it a long time ago and if they wanted to they could have waited for a Edmonton vs Calgary home game, but Montreal has a way better history. The Calgary all-stars team would have Lanny McDonald, but....... just look at the past heroes on Montreal. That beats the Calgary team anyday.

I heard that Hockey Night in Canada insisted it be the Canadiens but can't remember where I heard that. I'm glad it's the Canadiens since it is Heritage Classic Weekend - have to have an Original Six team involved. I'd much rather see Guy Lafleur, Steve Shutt, Guy LaPointe and Larry Robinson than Lanny McDonald and Tim Hunter. LOL

Woohoo! Awesome Bysty! Have a good time! I'll be watching (well, that and the slamball final). Then I'll watch the Leafs in Vancouver.

header2smaller.gif

alum_game2.jpg

alum_game_194_194.jpgtheodore_jose031122.jpg

That was the most amazing hockey event I have ever been to (close rival to the Edmonton playoff games. Never been to a cup game). I got to see my old time favorites who I haven't seen play since I was a kid (or baby. Wow. Long time ago.): Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Ranford, Semenko, Fuhr. And those I've never seen: [insert most of the Canadiens' team here]. Haha.

The Oilers beat the Canadiens in the Megastars Alumni game 2-0 (and I must say, Ranford and Fuhr made some amazing saves).

Then Montreal defeated Edmonton in the NHL game 4-3. The Oilers didn't play very good and I think Ty Conklin was nervous.

There were 57,000 fans there, a record for the most fans to ever attend an NHL game.

All in all, it was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! I was there for 7 hours and it was -20 degrees Celsius (-4 degrees Farenheit) the whole time.

Click for Spoiler:

There was even a streaker that ran out and lasted about 3 minutes. He kept jumping and sliding over signs and all the guards and policemen couldn't get him because it was really slippery. It was gross, but funny.

No problem, makes sense. Glad you enjoyed yourself. Looked exciting on TV and very cold.

I had a great night, the Leafs became the first team to win in Vancouver this year!

Edited by Jack_Bauer

No problem, makes sense. Glad you enjoyed yourself. Looked exciting on TV and very cold.

I had a great night, the Leafs became the first team to win in Vancouver this year!

Sweet. Nice work. Vancouver really rocks this year. And you beat them. NICE! But I forgot to say this earlier: WE BEAT TORONTO! DOO-DA! DOO-DA! WE BEAT TORONTO! OH DA-DOO-DA-DAY!

Lol. :laugh:

But anyways, it was very cold. I wore a tshirt, long sleeve shirt, hoodie, wool sweater, and a winter jacket, two pairs of pyjama pants, khaki pants, and snowboard pants, and two toques, and two pairs of gloves, three pairs of socks, and winter boots. (and my toes still went numb. lol)

You could still move with all that on? :laugh: Or are you exaggerating?

As for the game in Edmonton, well I can't defend them. You won, we lost what's done is done.

You could still move with all that on? :laugh:  Or are you exaggerating?

As for the game in Edmonton, well I can't defend them. You won, we lost what's done is done.

Nope. No exagerration there. It was a bit harder to move up and down the stairs, but I could still move. (And I was still cold!!! :laugh: Lol)

Ah I'm just pulling your leg about the Edmonton/Toronto game. Lol. It's all good.

This is creepy. :dude: Well, sort of. Remember my idea of three outdoor games on Hockey Day in Canada well, someone else has had it according to this article in the Toronto Sun today:

How about three games outdoors?

MONTREAL -- The Heritage Classic in Edmonton was "unmatchable," but NHL clubs should look at staging more outdoor games, Montreal Canadiens president Pierre Boivin said Monday. One idea would be to have the six Canadian teams play each other outdoors on CBC's annual Hockey Day In Canada triple-header, Boivin said.

"It would be a day of celebration of our game," said Boivin, adding that minor hockey games could be played on the same ice to include all levels of the sport.

"That game (in Edmonton) was unmatchable," Boivin added. "It belongs in the history books as a once-in-a-lifetime event.

BENEFIT TO THE GAME

"It's not about beating the attendance record, that's been set. But that said, it's how you take that event and turn it into a fan-driven benefit to the game. "That's why I think the Hockey Day In Canada idea is good," Boivin said.

"Edmonton did a wonderful job on it and it's definitely worth looking into in each market," said Richard Peddie, president of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd.

"But it might not work in each one. Logistically, it would be easy to pull off here. But could we come up with a reason, something special enough to have it?"

Okay, so this idea wasn't exactly hard to figure out. I just hope they're able to pull it off.

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me and some friends were talking about that the other day. One of them says that it would suck because you have to PLAY hockey on Hockey Day. But, I'd go to an outdoor game that day. It'd be awesome.