Sign in to follow this  
Cardie Fan

Gul Dukat...madman or saviour?

Its tragic the way Gul Dukat met his end on Deep Space Nine.

The man was a fine officer,a natural born leader,intelligent,and possessed of a great wit.He devoted himself,at the cost of sacraficing much of his personal life,to the Bajoran people.Under his guidance Terok Nor was a shining example of what could be achieved by the Bajorans!

Indeed,so fond of the Bajorans was Dukat,that he took a Bajoran for a lover and sired an offspring,Ziyal who showed what great beauty was possible through Cardassian and Bajoran cooperation and peaceful co-existance.

Yet,because of a murderous handful of Bajoran rabble...Terrorists!Cardassia and peace loving Bajorans had all of their hopes and dreams dashed.We all know the troubles Bajor has experienced since the Cardassian withdrawal.The fighting over agricultural equipment and industrial replicators (which,I might point out were never needed under Cardassian stewardship.),the in-fighting between the provisional government and terrorist cells like "The Circle".The introduction to the system of permanent Klingon and Romulan garrisons.Not to mention the criminal presence of the Maquis,a mercenary guerilla force of rogues from worlds across the alpha quadrant.Sigh.

And still,Dukat,in his love of the Bajora remained resolute in his desire to bring them the real peace and prosperity they deserved!But time and again,his efforts met with resistence and hostility.In the end,driving the poor man quite mad.

Yet,for a moment,imagine what could have been possible had Dukat remained in authority.Had Cardassia remained committed to Bajor for just a little longer.

"Headline....Bajoran terrorist cells smashed!Peace restored to Bajor!Spontaneous celebrations erupt in the streets of Bajoran cities around the globe...."

Dukat would have secured for himself and for Cardassia a place in history as heroes of a backward-turned-civilized people,now fully capable of taking their places beside their Cardassian brothers in the galaxy at-large.

Just imagine. :eek:

:lol: ah,hmm....I guess that could have happened?Afterall not every Bajoran was oppossed to the occup...I mean,the "stewardship" of the Cardassians. :eek:

Didn't Kai Opaka even help them locate a resistance cell her own son belonged to?Even though,as I recall she did that more to save lives than to actually be helpful to the Cardassians.

yes Cardie Fan has provided some thought invoking and provokative posts since joining us...this is another example, however my views are clear and concise.

Gul Dukat was an evil man occupied by evil forces, a very fitting end.

Stardate:213896.1

I liked Dukat myself.Like Cardie Fan said he was very intelligent and an excellent leader.But I think that the occupation wasnt his fault it was Dukats superiors that should of been slammed not Dukat.With the right ideas and the right direction I think Dukat could of continued to be a great leader for DS9.It was when he started to work with the Pah Wraiths that Dukat became insane.I also think the partnership with the Dominion was a bad idea as well.Besides that I didnt really see anything wrong with Dukat.

Cardie fan I got to ask you is what is your opinion of Elim Garak?

Dukat was definately an Evil Madman. During the occupation I'm sure it was more the leaders on Cardassia that were dictating policy on Bajor. And Dukat was just following his orders. But after the occupation was over we got to see Dukats true colors. For a while I was starting to feel that he was maybe OK. But he is an Evil Madman for sure. We never could really trust him could we? Plus, I'll never forgive him for what he did to Jadzia.. :laugh:

Cardie Fan, I'm also interested in what you think of Garak.. :laugh: