Sign in to follow this  
Captain_Smiley

The films a true baseball fan can't live without

I was talking baseball with my barber earlier today,and that discussion led to baseball films.Between the two of us we came up with about fifteen movies that no true baseball fan should be without in their DVD collections.Here is a list of the baseball films I own (and a few I would like to own).Feel free to comment on the list or add suggestions of your own.

(the list is in no particular order)

Bull Durham

Field of Dreams

The Jackie Robinson Story

Eight Men Out

The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars and Motor Kings

A League of Their Own

Major League

Major League 2

Major League 3:Back to the minors

The Sandlot

The Natural

The Bad news Bears films (just for fun)

187362.jpg

This is one of my personal favorites.The film stars James Earl Jones,Billy Dee Williams,and Richard Pryor.Its about a group of disgruntled Negro National League stars who leave the Negro Leagues in order to form their own ball club in the late 1930's and barnstorm across America playing white teams in front of white crowds.What I like about this film is that it gives you a glimpse into the Negro Leagues (and as a fan I've been intrigued by the old Negro Leagues for years),1930's America (an era that I am also fascinated by),and its full of great comedic moments,mostly supplied by Richard Pryor.I don't own this film on DVD yet,but its only a matter of time.Until then I make do with the VHS I have.Being that the film's two main stars (Jones and Williams) character's were based on Negro League legends Satchel Paige and Josh Gibson,it really makes you wonder how good these guys were when compared to Babe Ruth,Mickey mantle, and Ted Williams.My late grandpa who was born and raised in the south,saw some Negro League games as a boy and he always swore to me that those players were as good,if not better in his opinion,than a lot of the Hall of Famers who played in the Major Leagues at the time.

Edited by Captain_Smiley

This isn't on DVD but what baseball movie collection would be complete without The Pride of the Yankees.

6303597874.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Nominated for eleven Academy Awards in 1943, THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES is still regarded by many today as the finest baseball movie ever made. It chronicles the life and career of the New York Yankees' legendary first baseman and batting champion, Lou Gehrig, who made history by playing in 2,130 consecutive games over the course of a 14-year major league career. After battling a debilitating nerve disease called amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) which forced him out of the game early in 1939, Gehrig died in 1941 at the age of 37. However, newsreel footage of his farewell speech, made upon his retirement in 1939, helped immortalize the quiet personality as a hero and all-American role model rather than just a streak of statistics, and (at the suggestion of story editor Niven Busch) producer Sam Goldwyn decided to make a movie of Gehrig's life. The resulting biopic, which features several of Gehrig's real-life teammates playing themselves (among them Bill Dickey, Bob Meusel, Mark Koenig, Bill Stern and Babe Ruth) has become almost as immortal among baseball fans as Gehrig himself.

Stardate:213868.9

Those are awsome movies.

I have the following out of those

The Pride of the Yankees

Field of Dreams

Jackie Robison Story

Eight Men out

A league of thier own

Major League

Major League 2

Major League:Back to the Minors(with Scott Bakula :lol: )

The Sandlot

The Natural

Another great movie I recomend is 61*

32535.jpg

Set in New York City in 1961, 61* is a film directed by Billy Crystal for baseball lovers. Zooming in on Yankee players Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle, the film follows these two opposites as they attempt to break Babe Ruth's 1927 home run record. In heated competition, the two players each try to score over 60 home runs and set the new world record. While the fans align themselves with one player to be the winner, the players choose the other, igniting the playing field with tension, excitement, and anticipation.

Its an unbelieveable movie.It shows not only the homerun race but the lives of the M&M boys outside the game and what they went through.

Edited by geranimo

Apparently Connor Trinneer (Trip Tucker) is in 61*. it all connects...

I actually rented this movie for that reason and ended really enjoying the movie and I am the biggest non-sports fan ever.

I have always been partial to "The Natural". It truly captures the mystique of baseball.

"Field of Dreams" is a close second, although IMO I see that as more about father-son relationships.