Sign in to follow this  
Sirius

Which Internet Service provider do you use?

At the moment I'm having a dispute with SBC Yahoo.(they say I owe a certain ammount,and I say that I don't.I have billing statements to support my side of the argument,but they refuse to listen to anything I have to say over the phone,firmly insisting that I pay what they say I owe by the 17th,or its quits between us)and,unfortunately it appears likely that sometime within the next two weeks my services my be terminated.

I am considering switching over to Comcast high-speed DSL (as I have Comcast cable television already).

Do any of you have any recommendations for an Internet service provider?I'm not 100-percent set on Comcast DSL at the moment.Its only an option.A friend of mine suggested Earthlink,and I'll look into it.But I'd like more options.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.(also any advice on service providers to Not consider).

Your Friend,Sirius. :huh:

My cable, (three outlets) high-speed service and digital telephone (one outlet each) provider are one and the same and I've found it to be very advantageous.

1. One bill. 2. Great service, in just over a year of being hooked up to all three in one, I've not had a single bit of trouble with any of the three services which could not be resolved over the phone. All for the incredibly low price of just $140 a month. :huh: <you say, well you do get what you pay for.

Whoops - didn't see this before I posted. If any of the mods merge these threads, I understand!

Also looking for ISP advice...

Edited by LadyNarana

I am considering switching over to Comcast high-speed DSL (as I have Comcast cable television already).

The above statement left me a bit confused. Comcast DSL? You see, a high speed data via a cable modem and DSL are two different services. DSL utilizes your phone line, but due to the bandwith, you can be on the phone while using your modem. Broadband internet services via a cable modem doesn't require a phone line. Your data and video services are transmitted via your cable lines. I have heard a few drawbacks regarding DSL, but my information may be biased because I am a former Time Warner Cable employee. The speed of your DSL connection can vary depending where you live. If you live nearby a telephone switching station, your speed will be faster. The further away from the switching station, the slower the speed. Cable modems are not affected by where you live. I personally use a cable modem, and my ISP is RoadRunner, which is owned by Time Warner Cable.

The above statement left me a bit confused. Comcast DSL? You see, a high speed data via a cable modem and DSL are two different services. DSL utilizes your phone line, but due to the bandwith, you can be on the phone while using your modem. Broadband internet services via a cable modem doesn't require a phone line. Your data and video services are transmitted via your cable lines. I have heard a few drawbacks regarding DSL, but my information may be biased because I am a former Time Warner Cable employee. The speed of your DSL connection can vary depending where you live. If you live nearby a telephone switching station, your speed will be faster. The further away from the switching station, the slower the speed. Cable modems are not affected by where you live. I personally use a cable modem, and my ISP is RoadRunner, which is owned by Time Warner Cable.

Sorry,that was a misprint on my part.

I meant to say comcast high-speed internet,not DSL.

I'd like to resolve the problem I'm having with SBC,as I've had no problems with their service,until just recently.But its kind of difficult to do that when customer service transfers my call between five or six different representatives (and I always end up back with the first person I talked to),and when they refuse to accept the fact that I have documentation that clearly shows that I do not owe them a penny more than my normal monthly billing.Its been damned frustrating,to be honest.

So far I have Comcast,Earthlink,and Net Scape on a short list of possible alternatives to look into.

Edited by Sirius

high speed cable is the way to go i had roadrunner as well and i LOVED it, but alas i had to lose it for now being unemployed and all. right now im on aol, and i hate it, but at least its free. DSL is better than dial up, but i would definately go with the cable. you'll say to your self what did you ever do without it. as far as earthlink goes i was considering the startrek.net from earthlink when i can afford broadband again. but i have no personal experience with it. just thought the whole startrek thing was pretty cool, such as cptwright@startrek.net oh yeah.

I recommend using AMERICAN ONLINE with Time Warner Cable connection, provided you don't mind paing $40 a month. While it may be a bit expensive, it's the best internet service I've used. Some say it's internet for dummies, but I like it becuase it's everything rolled up into one, verses an IE browser and everything downloaded seperately or websites and such.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

No offense to CJLP,but I had AOL and its terrible.I was never so happy in my life as the day I parted company with America $#@! on-line!

Go with the cable,Sirius.

I've been using Earthlink DSL for the past 2 years.. I've often thought about going to Comcast High Speed Internet..I haven't tried it yet because I've been happy with Earthlink DSL up until now..

No offense to CJLP,but I had AOL and its terrible.I was never so happy in my life as the day I parted company with America $#@! on-line!

Go with the cable,Sirius.

Agreed, somewhere here there is a an entire thread devoted to bashing AOL, it's not the most popular provider. There must be good reason for so many disliking it, I think "screwing up billing" was the main gripe.

I have AOL with cable connection and have never had a problem beyond tech guys on the phone who can barely speak english. :lol:

Stardate:213806.3

You must be one of the lucky few CJLP.

As someone once said in another thread. AOHELL!!!

I recommend using AMERICAN ONLINE with Time Warner Cable connection, provided you don't mind paing $40 a month.  While it may be a bit expensive, it's the best internet service I've used.  Some say it's internet for dummies, but I like it becuase it's everything rolled up into one, verses an IE browser and everything downloaded seperately or websites and such.

I agree. I've been an AOL customer for years. I've tried using other servers, and always end right back with AOL because it works better than anything else I've ever tried.

I've been using Earthlink DSL for the past 2 years.. I've often thought about going to Comcast High Speed Internet..I haven't tried it yet because I've been happy with Earthlink DSL up until now..

I've been having problems with my Earthlink DSL for the past couple of weeks. It's been down several times during that time. Yesterday morning it happened again. So, finally I had enough! Comcast is coming by this afternoon to install High Speed Cable. Should be fantastic..! ;)

As for AOL, well, ask Takara about my opinion of AOL and ever having that infestation on my computer. And it is just that an infestation.

Ddillard, I've never had any problems with AOL beyond the "bump" offline once or every week or two.  What problems have you had?

Just wait until you ever need to un install it for some reason. It will not remove all of its files. Among multiple other issues. It is also loaded with spyware to communicate to AOL exactly what pages you are viewing.

I will have to watch what I post about my AOL beliefs though, or this will end up in Risa. LOL