Sign in to follow this  
Red Shirt Volunteer

XP Firewall

I use XP firewall.Since activating it,I haven't been able to use the font,color,size,shadow,or glow options when posting anywhere.I also use Norton anti-virus and firewall.I don't know if that has anything to do with either firewall,but my problems with using the code buttons only began after I activated my firewalls.

Thanks for the info, CaptainFreeman. I also can't see moving smilies with my firewall on, though it doesn't bother me. I can, however, see the text editing, so maybe if you play with the setting you'll be able to. I'm using Zone Alarm Pro, which is a great firewall, so I'm also wondering if the XP firewall even does anything or if it's just redundant and using up system resources.

That's interesting. I just recently activated my XP firewall, and I have no other firewall. I have had no problems using the text editing and I can also see the moving smileys. :drool:

I have the XP Fire wall on, as using Norton Internet Security & Anti Virus, I've never had a problem with smilies or anything. You probably just need to do a little tweaking in your settings, I did when I first installed Norton.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not too worried about the firewall as it pertains to this site since I know nothing nasty will happen here. I was kind of more concerned with the following:

1. Has anyone noticed problems re. performance and other programs when the XP Firewall is on?

2. Is it effective as a firewall, or just a waste of resources if you're already using another one?

Thanks again for any help you can offer.

For what it's worth, the XP firewall isn't that great. Its use of system resources is minimal, which is what you could say about its protection.

The best firewall is Zone Alarm, followed by McAfee. As for Norton, I have had problems getting it to work properly. Zone Alarm has the indicators that let you see Internet activity; while McAfee has the built-in trace function. You can see where an attacker is coming from. I have four computers connected to a router, which has a firmware firewall, and it stops attacks in their tracks.

With that being said, a firewall will not stop a virus, trojan, or any other type of nasty from getting in. Your best bet is to download AdAware or Spybot-Search and Destroy to scan your system for spyware and trojans; and a good virus scanner. Personally, I like InnoculateIt from Moosoft. It is updated at least two times a week.

With good protection, you can't lose.

I use XP firewall.Since activating it,I haven't been able to use the font,color,size,shadow,or glow options when posting anywhere.I also use Norton anti-virus and firewall.I don't know if that has anything to do with either firewall,but my problems with using the code buttons only began after I activated my firewalls.

When I installed Norton Firewall it specifically said to turn off the XP firewall if you had it on - that neither would funtion properly if both were on.

I did use the XP before I got the Norton - I didn't notice any unusual problems. The only thing that has ever caused problems was AIM

The XP firewall simply causes you to surf the net in "stealth mode." What that means is your computer can't be seen to any nasties scanning the net for open ports. It doesn't do anything to notify you of an attack, inbound or outbound. Most firewalls do. What that means is that if. per chance, you have a trojan installed on your system, unbeknownst to you of course, a firewall would notify you of any outbound traffic, allow you to scrutinize it, and gives you the opportunity to block any outbound traffic caused by a program you don't recognize. The same applies to inbound traffic. A firewall also warns you of any "scans" or "pings" coming through. The XP firewall does none of the above. It simply makes you invisible on the internet. I myself use a free firewall called Sygate, and a free anti-virus program called AVG. I also have Ad-Aware installed and update it regularly. Hope that helps!

Edited by mrskirk

I use Norton firewall.I used to have McAfee,but I was not satisfied with its performance and switched to Norton,which IMO is by far the superior product.

I can't say as I've noticed any problems with the smilies or using the various posting options here,or anywhere else,though.

Thanks for all the info. The impression I get is that the XP firewall has no function if you have another one running, which I do. I've got lots of security-related software on my machine for finding and deleting ad-spy-ware, trojans, etc., stopping viruses and protecting it from hackers, so I think I can probably just kill off the XP firewall. Thanks for confirming all of this for me - it was very helpful.