Sign in to follow this  
Yellow_Dragon

The Prime Directive

The Prime Directive of Cultural Non-Interference was violated by the Federation in the episode "Code of Honor",when the USS Enterprise-D visited Ligon II.The Ligonians were a pre-warp civilization,and culturally quite unsophisticated (I gathered these impressions from the Star Trek Encyclopedia).

The visit to Ligon II was a necessesity as a vital vaccine was needed by the Federation,and the planet was the only source of the rare vaccine.But did that make it right to violate the PD?And,if the Prime Directive can be ignored on Ligon II,how many other primitive worlds has the Federation visited and "contaminated"(by their own standards). :grin:

yeah, again interesting Yellow Dragon...

but Archer had a very good quote early in the season 1 (Dear Doctor):

Until someone creates some sort of directive telling me what i can and cant do out here...

so, between ENT and TOS how many....and (not being a big TOS fan) was it mentioned there?

The Federation didn't break the Prime Directive in this episode. Here is what startrek.com's library says about Ligon II:

Ligon II

Episode: Code of Honor

A Class M planet of dark-skinned, pre-technological humanoids with a strict code of honor and rulers determined by their bride's wealth; an orbital control station may be operated by another entity. As the source of a rare "medicinal substance" that is the only cure known for Anchilles fever, it is visited by the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D circa stardate 41235. The planet and its people were known to the Federation as far back as the 2320's, when at least one native took part in a wrestling match at Starfleet Academy.

I added the bold.

The Federation didn't break the Prime Directive in this episode.  Here is what startrek.com's library says about Ligon II:

Ligon II

A Class M planet of dark-skinned, pre-technological humanoids with a strict code of honor and rulers determined by their bride's wealth; an orbital control station may be operated by another entity. As the source of a rare "medicinal substance" that is the only cure known for Anchilles fever, it is visited by the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D circa stardate 41235. The planet and its people were known to the Federation as far back as the 2320's, when at least one native took part in a wrestling match at Starfleet Academy.

I added the bold.

86529[/snapback]

I can't remember when the PD came into effect but if contact was made by the Federation while the PD existed then there was a violation, the question is when did the violation take place and who did it?

The Federation didn't break the Prime Directive in this episode.  Here is what startrek.com's library says about Ligon II:

Ligon II

I added the bold.

86529[/snapback]

I can't remember when the PD came into effect but if contact was made by the Federation while the PD existed then there was a violation, the question is when did the violation take place and who did it?

359554[/snapback]

From what the ST Encyclopedia says the Prime Directive was not in force in 2168 (TOS' A Piece of the Action) but was in effect by 2268 (TOS' Patterns of Force and The Omega Glory). Whenever the Prime Directive came into being, it wasn't violated in Code of Honor.

I'm going to have to re-watch that episode (*shudder*) to be sure but do we know for a fact that the Ligonians didn't have warp technology? Was it said or are we assuming because their culture was so ritualistic.

Edited by Takara_Soong