Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Starfleet Shuttlecraft

How do they classify Starfleet shuttlecraft?

Supposedly, we have this system:

Type 1 - TOS

Type 3 - ST-5

Type 6 - TNG

Type 7 - TNG

Type 8 - VOY

Type 9 - VOY

Type 10 - DS9 (Defiant, specifically)

Type 11 - ST-9

Here's another way to look at it:

We could say that each shuttle design belongs to a class or to multiple classes of Starships. Example: The supposed Type 8 & 9 shuttles might be only found on Intrepid-class ships.

If you have other theories, pleas share. I'd like to think that each class of Starship would have it's own shuttle design while some ship designs would share shuttle designs like the Galaxy & Nebula-class for example.

What's your shuttle theory?

Type 9 shuttlecraft were also Type 2.....same model......how did the VOY crew build the Delta Flyer with their resources???

I watched the ep of voyager when they built they flyer and it just looked like they replacated the parts and then put them together and I think that the different types of shuttles are for different type of missions so for example a type 2 shuttle is just ment for orbital work and so on at least it is what I think.

Type 9 shuttlecraft were also Type 2.....same model......how did the VOY crew build the Delta Flyer with their resources???

Well, the Type-9 was also called Class-2. I guess "Class-2" means it's of a smaller design. As for the Delta Flyer? They've had to replace several shuttles by Season 5, so I didn't have a problem with them "constructing" it. The question is, how did they do it so fast?

Well, if you wanna get to the nuts and bolts of the matter, according to the Encyclopedia (a really old version):

The real purpose of a shuttlecraft is often to isolate characters in a slow-moving vehicle that can easily get lost.

:laugh: