Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Orci: Fan Input Important

Speaking to the press at WonderCon in San Francisco this weekend, Star Trek XII‘s Roberto Orci gave a progress report on the Star Trek movie sequel.

The first draft of the script for Star Trek XII is complete, but that doesn’t mean the writing is done. “We’ll be working and tweaking that story through shooting,” said Orci.

OrciSmall.jpg

Fans made their opinions known regarding Star Trek XII and their opinions have been noted by the writers. “Everyone said [Kirk] is too young to become Captain,” said Orci. “So maybe in the next movie, somebody goes, ‘Man, you sure became Captain young and fast.’ You start to incorporate people’s opinions.”

Another thing that fans wanted in the first film and still would like to see is more time with each character. “[Fans] wanted more character time with everybody,” said Orci. “And, because that was an origin story for Star Trek, everyone had to come in at a certain point. Now everyone is going to be there from the beginning, so they’re going to get that.”

Orci believes that production on Star Trek XII will begin this fall.

View the full article

Oh crap. So rather than simply concentrating on keeping the movie fresh and original, screen time is going to be spent, (pronounced wasted) catering to overtly obsessive fan issues regarding the prior film? *sigh* I got a bad felling about this...

Star Trek: The Search for Explanations :rolleyes:

One thing we know about most long-time Trek fans is it doesn't matter what they think. They will find some reason to criticize the work, but they will also find some reason to watch anything with Star Trek in the title. Nemesis and Enterprise are proof that the typical long-term fan is nitpicky but not picky.

The producers need to make a movie that will attract as large an audience as possible, not worry about people who will watch it anyway.

I agree with AE. At first, I was really looking forward to the next movie, but after reading that article...

I've got a bad feeling about this. :rolleyes:

Some "character time" is always good, but not if it gets in the way of telling a good story that the general public will like as much as Star Trek fans (hopefully) will.