Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Did Star Trek 09 follow 007s lead?

I hate the new Bond, it's too realistic now. No fricken sharks with lazer beams on their heads, WTH??? :clap:

I wonder if fun things from TOS is now verboten? Will Spock ever read minds again? Will we ever again see the likes of aliens with the ability to transmorph themselves and other matter, like Trelane? How about entity's which feed off hate, cause wars in order to sustain themselves? Dis-embodied brains controlling humanoids for the purpose of amusing themselves? Deadly flying pancakes? Exploding rocks? Salt vampires? Murderous fogs? Giant space amoebas?

I know, I know, some bad examples in there but you know what I mean. I hear talk the sequel will somehow follow The Dark Knights sense of realism and while I like that film I don't think I want Trek to become that realistic. It might be a financially wise thing for them to do but some of the fun will truly be gone forever.

You have to remember 2 things:

1) The wackyness of Star Trek was fun for an increasingly shrinking fan base. People want the realism of The Dark Knight and the new Battlestar Galactica.

2) I think it is too early to draw conclusions from just one movie.

I think it's also fair to point out that a lot of the 'fun things' were left out of the TOS movies for the most part. They weren't humourless movies but a lot of the things mentioned didn't make the jump to the big screen (perhaps with the exception of the God Entity from Star Trek V), which is good because they tend to work better on TV, where episodes are under less pressure to perform than movies.