Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Greenwood: Pike Essential To Trek

Bruce Greenwood, who played Captain Christopher Pike in Star Trek XI, would like to see more of Pike in future Trek.

Greenwood would love to return to Trek, and he couldn’t resist giving his tongue-in-cheek opinion of Pike’s importance to the Star Trek franchise in a recent interview. “I think Captain Pike is an essential component to the whole franchise,” he said. “I think there should be a whole offshoot of Pike’s adventures.”

Greenwood150h.gifBut what about Pike’s physical impairment? Would that make a difference? Not according to Greenwood. “There’s nothing that says Pike can’t get up and out of that wheelchair, get his own ship and go off on some adventures of his own. I’m now an admiral, but I want to get out of the wheelchair.”

It is not known if Pike will be back in Star Trek XII, but fans, as well as Greenwood, can only hope.

View the full article

I like the Pike character. I like Bruce Greenwood. What I think is essential for the Trek franchise is to get the actors from Star Trek XI out to the fan conventions. I was very disappointed when Greenwood cancelled in Las Vegas. If the powers that be expect fans to keep turning out for the movies, please get the actors to show up at fan conventions. Just my two cents.

Pike played a role that ShatKirk did not have in his reality..a true friend, at least one consistently shown, back in HQ. GreenwoodPike was the mentor, who, when you think about it, is the one responsible-not to make PineKirk the 'he saved the quadrant all by himself' hero, but, his criticality in the events of XI are made possible, of course, by Pike's encouragement, and challenge.Like Admiral Forrest in Enterprise with Jonathan Archer, Pike is his constant ally, sounding board..I'd like to see Jim calling him up, or vice-versa-and discussing the new mission/crisis, or trading some respectful, warm comments. And yes..you know the writers have GOT to get him out of the chair. It is, after all, a new universe. BTW, I got a chance to chat at some length with Sean Kenney(The Menagerie) at Vegascon, and talk about the Pike character from the PU. That was cool.