Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Power Sources

I've wondered what kind of power sources the Federation uses on tricorders, phasers etc. Do they have some sort of long term (indefinite battery). . Or is some one in the armory responsible for recharging the weapons. I remember in TOS they talked about draining a phaser. Does everyone plug their PADD into their desk at night?

I've often wished for a long life battery for most of my appliances. I have to reset half a dozen clocks when the power goes off (microwave, vcr etc). I wish they had self contained power units. Not to mention all those cords are a pain.

Am I seriously in need of a life or has anyone else ever thought about this?

I've allways assumed that the phasers, tricorders, and common hand held tools had a rechargable power source. Kind'a like the perfect rechargable battery. Instead of new "batteries", they pull the used one, put a new one in, and recharge the old one. As for the PADD's, they probably just "obsorb" power from stuff like a local computer.

NOTE: What does PADD stand for?

Actually, in TOS, they mentioned using dylithium crystals in phasors, tri-corders, etc., as well as powering the ship's operating systems. The engines were powered by matter/anti-matter in a combination that generated enough energy to break the light barrier several times over.

We already have lithium ( a metal) based batteries, which are of the non-rechargable variety. Dylithium crystals seems almost like an oxymoron, similar to military intelligence, since it seems to be like a crystalized metal. I can imagine using a power source similar to that, but I find it highly unlikely.

Generally, a battery operates by a chemical reaction that produces direct current electricity. Unless someone comes along with a better scheme, or discovers something entirely new, we're stuck using the wall outlet to recharge our batteries.