Sign in to follow this  
master_q

ENT in HDTV

ENT in HDTV

"Zenith To Sponsor Primetime HDTV Programming on CBS and UPN"

CBS and UPN announced that they have partnered with Zenith to broadcast scripted primetime television programming in high definition format. The partnership marks CBS's fifth consecutive year of offering its primetime programming in HDTV and the first year for UPN, which will kick off HDTV broadcasts with STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE and JAKE 2.0 starting Wednesday, Oct. 15, 2003 (8:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT).

“We've very pleased Zenith is partnering with CBS for the third year in a row to sponsor our primetime comedies and dramas in high-def, and we are very excited to be working with them on UPN's first ever HDTV broadcasts, which serves as a giant step toward a sharper, clearer future,” said Leslie Moonves, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, CBS, who also oversees UPN. “CBS was the first network to broadcast HDTV prime time, daytime and major sports, and now those same CBS executives are lending their expertise and leadership to launching UPN’s high-definition efforts.”

“STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE and JAKE 2.0 are the perfect shows for UPN to make its high definition television debut as we showcase the spectacular special visual effects of these shows with the richness and clarity of HDTV images,” said Dawn Ostroff, President, Entertainment, UPN. “This is just the beginning, and we’re looking forward to expanding our high-definition broadcast to other nights of our schedule.”

STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE and JAKE 2.0 will be produced in HDTV’s highest definition format, 1080i. The intense special visual effects of both series will be sharper and more amazing with the clarity of 1080 lines of picture resolution. Each line contains 1,920 picture elements for a total image quality of over two million picture elements, which is six times sharper than standard definition television.

[...]

-- http://www.audiorevolution.com/news/1003/14.zenith.shtml

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

yeah! Channel Nine (australias broadcaster of ENT) has been in HD for a while now, but i havent seen it....

I don't have a HD-TV. Maybe in the future I'll get a new TV.

These days I rarely watch any TV so it would be a waist of money for me to invest in any expensive TV. The TV I have is over 10 years old (lol). {Hey, it works - - That's what matters!}

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

So, it a nut shell, HDTV is just a widescreen TV with high resolution?

Yes, HD stands for High definition. I'm sure there is more to it then just picture quality and when I have a little time I'm going to explore the links Alterego provided. But as Alterego suggested, if you buy a new TV try to get an HDTV enabled set. At some point in the next few years the Television signal that is broadcast over the air will be only in the HDTV format and only HDTV sets will be able to receive the signal. If you have an old analog TV set when that happens you will have to buy a special converter or something to that effect in order to be able to watch TV.

Yes, HD stands for High definition. I'm sure there is more to it then just picture quality and when I have a little time I'm going to explore the links Alterego provided. But as Alterego suggested, if you buy a new TV try to get an HDTV enabled set. At some point in the next few years the Television signal that is broadcast over the air will be only in the HDTV format and only HDTV sets will be able to receive the signal. If you have an old analog TV set when that happens you will have to buy a special converter or something to that effect in order to be able to watch TV.

I don't think you need a converter if you watch it on an analog TV, because I was watching a show and on the bottom it said something like "Now Presented in HDTV" and it wasn't on a HDTV TV.

I don't think you need a converter if you watch it on an analog TV, because I was watching a show and on the bottom it said something like "Now Presented in HDTV" and it wasn't on a HDTV TV.

For now you don't, they are being broadcast in both analog and HD but when the industry switches soley to HD there will be no analog signal for your analog TV to pick up. This is set to happen in 2008 I believe so there are a few years still before it happens (if they follow the current plan).

2008 huh, that's nice to know. I was hoping to get few more years out of the current TV we have.

For them that can't wait for the switch-over, the cable company has been showing commercials for a HDTV converter box to rent, it's between $3 & $6 a month more and right now about 6 channels are available for full time HDTV viewing. I'll wait.

Hmm...  come 2008 I'll have to get one of these "HDTV" TV's.  Answer me this: how difficult is it to convert one of today's TV's to HDTV?  My TV isn't even a year old, I'd hate to retire it at 6 years.

My understanding of how it will be is that it will be very easy, you'll have to buy or rent a convert box similar to a cable box. That box will bring the signal in and convert it to analog for your TV. I haven't seen any pricing on the boxes, but I would imagine that by the time everyone needs one they will be fairly inexpensive. $35 to $50 would be my guess.

i have a 55" widescreen HDTV ready tv, it is awsome, with the HDTV cable box, and HDTV channels, it makes a world of difference. but unfortunately only hob and showtime around here have HDTV channels, and i had to get rid of them in my jobless state. by the way i think its 2006 not 2008 for the change, unless the moved it up. i hope they start carrying more HD channels on the cable box soon. next i need a superbit DVD player. the picture is about the same as HDTV, if not the same. really close.

i have a 55" widescreen HDTV ready tv, it is awsome, with the HDTV cable box, and HDTV channels, it makes a world of difference. but unfortunately only hob and showtime around here have HDTV channels, and i had to get rid of them in my jobless state. by the way i think its 2006 not 2008 for the change, unless the moved it up. i hope they start carrying more HD channels on the  cable box soon. next i need a superbit DVD player. the picture is about the same as HDTV, if not the same. really close.

2006 sounds right, I know it was a "round" number lol

Sign in to follow this