Sign in to follow this  
xenexian

Were you born too early?

Ever since I saw the first ST episode back in 1966, I've always felt that I was born too early. I've always been fascinated with electronics and such and even made sure my career would be in a field that would allow me access to the latest in electronic gear. As I grew older and began to read the works of famous Sci- Fi authors and became an original trekker, I really seem to think that I was born about 500 years too early and that I should be sailing among the stars or at least in the relative neighborhood. Does anyone else feel this way because of Star Trek or do you feel that you were born at the right time or perhaps even too late? Any thoughts?

You bet. Starfleet Academy was where I wanted to go for college. I want to be an engineer on a starship.

But here's the thing: some of this stuff is purely theoretical and might never happen. Transporters? Slightly more possible but still out there... holodecks? Faster than light travel?

I don't know... somehow I wonder even if I was living 500 years into the future, would we be regularly traveling between stars?

Holodecks are more plausable than transporters. We already have 3-D interfaces now. We simply need to improve the resolutions, responce times, and make the force fields - which are really energy fields which we already have - more precise.

Scientists have already transported subatomic particles across a few feet and have verified that they did not cross the space inbetween. However, the theories we are working with say this only works with subatomic particles and it is still not faster than light.

Unfortunately there has been no scientific research into having sex with promiscuous, large-breasted alien females.

Sometimes I have felt frusrated at being "planet bound" or I dream about not just space travel but organized, civilized cities with speedy mass transit and access to knowledge and art etc.; but I'm not really convinced that the future of humanity offers a Star Trek like future - I mean what if the Terminator vision comes to pass?

For all we know we'll send ourselves into another Dark Ages.

But I was born too soon - I should have been born 15 years later. For my age range single women outnumber single men - for those about 10 years younger the reverse is true. I would have loved to have been on the other end of that demographic curve. :)

I should have been born 15 years later. For my age range single women outnumber single men - for those about 10 years younger the reverse is true. I would have loved to have been on the other end of that demographic curve. :)

But your profile says you are only 9! Isn't it a bit early to be thinking about that?

Okay, so perhaps I should articulate my question a bit more. What I should be asking is, because of the possibility of future wonders yet to be, not necessarily those that we see on Star Trek, but in general, such as future medical cures, a new power source, possible manned planetary exploration and so on, do you feel that you were born out of time and should have been born in the future? How optimistic a person is would have a lot to do with how one sees the future. I'm very optimistic and perhaps 80% of Trek technology may never come to pass but we've only been in the air for just a bit over one hundred years and in that time our knowledge in just about all science fields has increased exponentially, most of which has happened in our lifetime (The computer is one great example). So who knows what could come to pass in the next 100 let alone 500 years. We're moving forward at an incredible rate of speed unmatched by any other time in the entire history of the human race. So for me, 500 years in the future would be just about right and where I feel I should have been. What about you?

Sometimes I feel I was born way to early. There are times when I just look at the stars, and somehow know I'm susposed to be out there among them. I really can't explain it. I wonder if it's the same feeling explorers of yesteryear felt when they looked across the ocean, and knew they were susposed to be out there?

Personally, I think I would've been fine born several hundred years in the future- or in the past. What I want is to explore, go places no one has ever been, see things no one has ever seen. That's something I could've done in the past, or the future, but it's a bit hard now.

That said, there are still places we can explore right here on earth, and I intend on doing so.

I've always known I was born too early the Human race is advanced by animal standards but I hate being confined to Earth alone.

Holodecks and replicators = in development now!

Transporters and warp drive = unlikely.

I'm the same age as TNG.

According to your profile you're a year younger than the show, I'm 2 months and 10 days older than it :giggle:

I'm the same age as TNG.

According to your profile you're a year younger than the show, I'm 2 months and 10 days older than it :giggle:

Geez, thanks guys. Now I really feel old. When TNG arrived, I was three years into my marriage with a 1.5 year old daughter. You "Utes" are not helping :(