Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Khhhaaaannnn!

A Villain's Return?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Now That The Future Is Open In The New Movie Franchise, Should Khan Return In A Future Movie?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm Not Sure

I just read on another site that now the story has a fresh start, it could lead to the return of Khan! Should Khan return in a future or film is he such a classic that he shouldn't be touched?

I don't think they should rehash old stories. They should keep everything fresh.

I agree with Kor. If I want to see Khan, I don't need to go the movies to see that story; I have Space Seed and TWoK right here in my DVD collections.

Star Trek XI Director J.J. Abrams is open to the idea of including William Shatner in a sequel, or perhaps revisiting an old Star Trek foe.

As reported by MTV, with a new playing field, anything can happen. "The fun of this [new alternate Trek reality] is that the destiny of these characters is in their hands," explained Abrams. "It's not constrained by the pre-existing films or TV series. Believe me, whether it's William Shatner or Khan ... it would be ridiculous to not be open to those ideas."

"One of the reasons we wanted to break with the original Star Trek timeline was it felt restrictive," Abrams added. "The idea, now that we are in an independent timeline, allows us to use any of the ingredients from the past, or come up with brand-new ones, to make potential stories."

Khan Noonien Singh has also come up as a potential storyline for the future. "It'll be fun to hear what Alex [Kurtzman] and Bob [Orci] are thinking about Khan," said Abrams. "The fun of this timeline is arguing that different stories, with the same characters, could be equally if not more compelling than what's been told before. [Khan and Kirk] exist, and while their history may not be exactly as people are familiar with, I would argue that a person's character is what it is. Certain people are destined to cross paths and come together, and Khan is out there ... even if he doesn't have the same issues."

With Kirk's ultimate fate in the alternative timeline unknown and different than in the original timeline, there is no reason why Kirk couldn't live to be much older, which opens the door for a possible Shatner appearance in a future film. ""I wouldn't rule out anything," said Abrams. "The point of creating this independent timeline is to not have the restrictions we had coming into this one. And one of those restrictions was that Kirk was dead."

http://www.trektoday.com/content/2009/05/s...an-shatner.html

I was just thinking about that general topic yesterday, after having read that same article via a ref from Trekcore(a very good TREKXI nwes source), and it occured, well, this new alternative timeline might create more, eh....concern...if established trek history is turned on its ear, so to speak-but, this after all, is not the original, which is untouched, to be sure...but it does open up 'possibilities' for changing some things-such as letting Kirk remain alive in the future, and not die in 'Generations', though time-wise it's WAY off...I would be 100% for that! Of course, even if one likes the alternative possibilities, there's always room to say that for one fan or the other, certain changes may not sit well, where other ones might be interesting...a mixed bag...but yet, a grab-bag that could hold some 'fascinating' events....

If they do bring Kahn back it would have to be in a way completely different than Space Seed / TWOK. Even then it would get harsh criticism for being formulamatic, as if the writers had ran out of ideas already. I definitely don't think it should be in the next movie or the one after that.

V'Ger, the whale probe thing, and "God" are all out there still as well.

I agree with the consensus here (although I'm apparently the only person to have voted as such so far). I don't think Khan should be in the next film.

HOWEVER, they pulled off this last film so well while doing so many things that probably went against what I though they should do with the movie that I'm very confident leaving the story in the hands of Orci, Kurtzman, and Abrams and just letting the story take me along for the ride. :roflmao:

Remember the first season of Next Generation? There were quite a few recycled stories from TOS and none of them ended up being particularly good. Actually, that whole season was kind of hokey.

So I agree if they bring Khan back, it should be completely different than "Space Seed." Perhaps a surprise ending where Khan and his gang become productive members of society! :roflmao: And they shouldn't do it any time soon because yeah, it would give the feeling that they're out of ideas.

I'm not opposed to the idea. I was very highly skeptical of this movie before it came out and I wound up liking it a lot. So I think if they can pull it off correctly, they should definitely do it. But yes, it would be very risky and there are a lot of things that can go wrong.

Edited by ensign_beedrill

I wouldn't mind seeing a new take on Kahn, as long as they make it their own. NuBSG redid a few storylines from TOS BSG, and did it well, so I think new timeline Trek could do it.

Absolutely not! They should leave the classics alone.

I see no reason that Khan shouldn't appear, but I don't believe that Khan should be a major character/villian.

Before I saw the new movie, I was worried about what was and would be happening to Trek. But, to my surprise and joy, it turned out really well (of course, I've always been a big fan of alternate timline stories)! So I would be open to seeing Kahn (just not too soon). I'd like to see what they would make him...how they would handle the character because it would almost be like starting from scratch...

I don't think they should rehash old stories. They should keep everything fresh.

I agree with this. If they're going to go with a reboot then they should stray away from what's already been done.

This is one of the few times I would vote yes on a remake rehash or what ever it was. I loved Khan and with todays effects they could do some really great things with the character.