Sign in to follow this  
ddillard

DDillard's Star Trek XI Review

I went to see the movie last night and while I have some mixed feelings about the movie I do believe that it is definitely worth seeing. I might try to go see it in IMAX after I get back from going out of state next week.

Click for Spoiler:

I was a little disappointed when the comment was made by Spock on the bridge about alternate timelines because that made me realize then that they were not going to reset everything by the end of the movie.

The destruction of Vulcan was a bit sad for me, and my first thought was "How can they destroy Vulcan, that goes against established cannon?"

The little alien that was with Scotty on the outpost reminded me of an Ewok as soon as I saw it for some reason, lol.

There were some little things in the movie concerning the characters that kinda annoyed me, but those I can easily look past.

Overall there were also many things that I really liked in the movie.

First off, I want Sulu's sword, lol.

I was happy about some of the things that we already knew from the series history being brought up, like finally seeing how Kirk cheated with the Kobiashi Maru.

I also loved the reference to Scotty having beamed Admiral Archers beagle and was still waiting for it to rematerialize.

I liked Ambassador Spock telling Commander Spock that his usual phrase would be self serving and wishing him good luck instead.

As for the alternate timeline, even though it was not reset and means that in that timeline what we know to have happened is not definite due to the events, I can understand why they have gone this route. As a result of establishing that the movie resulted in a timeline that is different from what we know allows them to make more movies and even possibly another series that is not bound by traditional Star Trek cannon, even though the events in Enterprise would presumably still have to be allowed for since it occured prior to the event that resulted in the alternative timeline. This does open a few doors for them to try to revitalize the franchise by telling stories in a different way that will be more appealing to new fans.

I went to see the movie last night and while I have some mixed feelings about the movie I do believe that it is definitely worth seeing. I might try to go see it in IMAX after I get back from going out of state next week.

Click for Spoiler:

I was a little disappointed when the comment was made by Spock on the bridge about alternate timelines because that made me realize then that they were not going to reset everything by the end of the movie.

The destruction of Vulcan was a bit sad for me, and my first thought was "How can they destroy Vulcan, that goes against established cannon?"

The little alien that was with Scotty on the outpost reminded me of an Ewok as soon as I saw it for some reason, lol.

There were some little things in the movie concerning the characters that kinda annoyed me, but those I can easily look past.

Overall there were also many things that I really liked in the movie.

First off, I want Sulu's sword, lol.

I was happy about some of the things that we already knew from the series history being brought up, like finally seeing how Kirk cheated with the Kobiashi Maru.

I also loved the reference to Scotty having beamed Admiral Archers beagle and was still waiting for it to rematerialize.

I liked Ambassador Spock telling Commander Spock that his usual phrase would be self serving and wishing him good luck instead.

As for the alternate timeline, even though it was not reset and means that in that timeline what we know to have happened is not definite due to the events, I can understand why they have gone this route. As a result of establishing that the movie resulted in a timeline that is different from what we know allows them to make more movies and even possibly another series that is not bound by traditional Star Trek cannon, even though the events in Enterprise would presumably still have to be allowed for since it occured prior to the event that resulted in the alternative timeline. This does open a few doors for them to try to revitalize the franchise by telling stories in a different way that will be more appealing to new fans.

I might go this weekend out to a mall in Virginia Beach that has IMax, when I went tonight I didn't even think about Imax.

Click for Spoiler:

Leaving things in the alternate timeline does bug me, that's why in my review I said I'll hold off final judgement until I see Star Trek XII and see if they set things right somehow and get Vulcan back. Destroying Vulcan and leaving it that way just doesn't set well with me. The changes to the bridge layout and design also bugged me. I know they wanted to do it their way and everything is "alternate" but there wouldn't be such a shift in design even with the alternate time line.

So while I think they got some things right, I also don't like some of the things that they got wrong and would really rather that they fix those things in ST XII. Maybe for the next one they can bring in Ira Behr to work on keeping the "Star Trek" in Star Trek.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to think this...

Click for Spoiler:

the little "get down!" alien reminded me of an Ewok, too! I didn't like him very much for that reason.