Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

T'Pol. Like or Dislike and Why?

T'Pol. Like or Dislike and Why?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. T'Pol. Like or Dislike and Why?

• Yes, I like T'pol because...
    • No, I dislike T'Pol because...
    • I'm still not sure, call me a fence sitter about this.

There ARE Vulcans (very high ranking Vulcans) who ARE miffed at Humans for an ever growing list of reasons, T'Pol joining Ent's mission is just one link in a chain of them. I know some don't understand (because it was covered in Trek novels) but what we are seeing on ENT does coincide with ideas about early Human/Vulcan relationships/conflicts that were written LONG ago.

There ARE Vulcans (very high ranking Vulcans) who ARE miffed at Humans for an ever growing list of reasons, T'Pol joining Ent's mission is just one link in a chain of them. I know some don't understand (because it was covered in Trek novels) but what we are seeing on ENT does coincide with ideas about early Human/Vulcan relationships/conflicts that were written LONG ago.

I totally agree with you on this.

I like T'Pol because she is playing the part of a Vulcan very well, and she had to be the first Vulcan to work with humans...the Vulcans sent her there and no one could predict how they would work together..not even T'Pol.

I think the story line is going great this year...the sex thing...I don't know yet.

I found it unrealistic that Voyager didn't have more marriages and births in 7

years, and ENT being closer to our time would definitely be unrealistic without sex...... :bow:

TOS novels? I could look for some on ebay - are there any you'd recommend short of "all of them" I'd like to know more about this.

I always assumed it hadn't been easy for either side to be diplomatic towards each other.

But what T'Pol is doing must ruffle a few more feathers than just diplomatic and political.

On the fence. I don't like her apparent purpose for being on the show (you know what I mean :o ), and imo, her acting is attrocious. I would've voted no, but I'm optimistic; maybe she'll get better. :o

I found her totally unlikeable from the very beginning. To me she's not a Vulcan at all, she's too emotional and obvousley a 7of9 clone in every sense of the word.

I dislike T'Pol and Unicorn Hunter has obviated the need for me to say why. I agree with everything said in that post - and then some - especially the compatibility issue with Trip which made the whole of that plotline in Harbinger so impossible to believe!!!

Edited by chunderfish

TOS novels? I could look for some on ebay - are there any you'd recommend short of "all of them" I'd like to know more about this.

TUH,

I am surprised you were not aware of this. This was covered in TOS. Sarek, who was open-minded as Vulcans go, did not approve of Spock joining Starfleet ("Journey to Babel"). One can only imagine what the less open-minded Vulcans thought.

I like T'Pol. A beautiful woman who is logical. That is a hard combination to beat. :rolleyes:

I dislike T'pol because she represents the screwed-up impression that B&B continue to push every week on the show. Part of what made Spock so special was his struggle between Logic and emotion being half-human, and the more stoic he was, his popularity soared I think. The problem with T'pol is that she's really a man, (or else how can she go through Ponn Farr?) impulsive, prone to jealousy, and even lies. And all of this because of some technobabble excuse, it might have been realistic if instead of showing her butt off and acting like a spoilt brat, they showed the inner personal struggle that her predicament presents instead of "the experimentation with humanity"

All of this confirms that not only can't B&B actually understand what a Vulcan actually is, let alone even write one properley but also that they seem quite content with cloning seven of nine for the sake of the ratings.

To me you just proved you have no idea what your talking about. Good try though.

Interesting, what exactly don't you agree with?

Lets open a positive dialogue shall we :lol:

T'pol started the series as the outsider on the ship. The scape goat for the mission- Things aren't going well?, blame the Vulcan.

It's been great to see the development of her character evolve. She had to earn the respect of crew- and it was a hard battle.

In the first season, none of the crew would have shed a tear if T'pol had gotten the red-shirt treatment. Now, the crew would follow her into certain death if she gave the order.

Plus, she's really, really hot.

Okay, do you guys really think you'd like her so much if she had the same T'Pol character but looked like Dr. Pulaski? :lol:

After what she did to poor Trip, using him like that, and then calling him an experiment - he has feelings if she doesn't..... Do I need a better reason not to like her. I do have to admire her taste though ;)

Okay, do you guys really think you'd like her so much if she had the same T'Pol character but looked like Dr. Pulaski? :lol:

After what she did to poor Trip, using him like that, and then calling him an experiment - he has feelings if she doesn't..... Do I need a better reason not to like her.  I do have to admire her taste though ;)

Would you like Trip if he looked like McCoy. Touche!

Besides, T'pol wasn't explaining their romantic encounter to Tucker, she was trying rationalize what happened to herself.

The problem with T'pol is that she's really a man, (or else how can she go through Ponn Farr?) impulsive, prone to jealousy, and even lies.

Women can't go through Ponn Farr? What's wrong with impulsive and feeling a little jealousy for one of her closest friends? As for lies, Spock lied many times.

And all of this because of some technobabble excuse, it might have been realistic if instead of showing her butt off and acting like a spoilt brat, they showed the inner personal struggle that her predicament presents instead of "the experimentation with humanity"

What techbobabble excuse? She doesn't show her butt off, the camera crew does. When has she acted like a spoiled brat? They have showed an inner personal struggle in several episodes. What's wrong with experrimenting with emotions, hmm? I'm still thinking this will lead to some kind of horrific break down, turning her into a violent grunt, showing us just exactly why Vulcans repress their emotions.

All of this confirms that not only can't B&B actually understand what a Vulcan actually is, let alone even write one properley but also that they seem quite content with cloning seven of nine for the sake of the ratings.

B&B do understand what a Vulcan is, you just put Vulcans on a pedastol too high for B&B to ever reach. They're written T'Pol just fine as far as I'm concerned. T'Pol has nothing in common with Seven beyond wardrobe. :lol:

The problem with T'pol is that she's really a man, (or else how can she go through Ponn Farr?) impulsive, prone to jealousy, and even lies.

Women can't go through Ponn Farr? What's wrong with impulsive and feeling a little jealousy for one of her closest friends? As for lies, Spock lied many times.

Spock can be given the benefit of the doubt as he's half-human.

And all of this because of some technobabble excuse, it might have been realistic if instead of showing her butt off and acting like a spoilt brat, they showed the inner personal struggle that her predicament presents instead of "the experimentation with humanity"

What techbobabble excuse? She doesn't show her butt off, the camera crew does. When has she acted like a spoiled brat? They have showed an inner personal struggle in several episodes. What's wrong with experrimenting with emotions, hmm? I'm still thinking this will lead to some kind of horrific break down, turning her into a violent grunt, showing us just exactly why Vulcans repress their emotions.

The technobabble excuse I was referring to is the Trellium D substance which affects the ability for Vulcans to contol their emotions. Experimenting with emotions is not logical for a Vulcan, especially a full Vulcan.

B&B do understand what a Vulcan is, you just put Vulcans on a pedastol too high for B&B to ever reach. They're written T'Pol just fine as far as I'm concerned. T'Pol has nothing in common with Seven beyond wardrobe. :laugh:

I don't think I'm putting them on a pedestal, I just think that B&B wanted to emulate the success of Spock's character by having another Vulcan on the show, in an effort to recreate the McCoy/Spock/Kirk relationship in an attempt to create a formula in which to attract casual viewers to the show.

As far as similarities to Seven is concerned, I see a lot more than just the clothing similarities; the recurring theme of exploring humanity was first done with Data (rather successfully), then done with Seven (successful to a point, in an attempt to recapture the same magic acheived with Data) and now with T'pol.

Edited by Stewey

Guest Angry Trek Lover

Captain Picard, I just wanted you to know I appreciate your continuing to show WS the true logic of the situation, your arguments are sound despite his in-ability to see.

I just think that B&B wanted to emulate the success of Spock's character by having another Vulcan on the show, in an effort to recreate the McCoy/Spock/Kirk relationship in an attempt to create a formula in which to attract casual viewers to the show.

I happen to be a fan of the OS WS, I've wanted to see the McCoy/Spock/Kirk formula redone for decades and now that I have it again you and your kind would campaign to take it away from me? (POST EDITED BY MODERATOR)

Edited by TransporterMalfunction

The technobabble excuse I was referring to is the Trellium D substance which affects the ability for Vulcans to contol their emotions. Experimenting with emotions is not logical for a Vulcan, especially a full Vulcan.

That's not a technobable excuse. She lost control for that one episode. If you would watch the show more carefully, you'd learn that Doctor Phlox was able to repair the damage to T'Pol. Experrimenting with emotions may not be logical for a Vulcan, but ya know what? Not all Vulcans are the same.

B&B do understand what a Vulcan is, you just put Vulcans on a pedastol too high for B&B to ever reach. They're written T'Pol just fine as far as I'm concerned. T'Pol has nothing in common with Seven beyond wardrobe. :assimilated:

I don't think I'm putting them on a pedestal, I just think that B&B wanted to emulate the success of Spock's character by having another Vulcan on the show, in an effort to recreate the McCoy/Spock/Kirk relationship in an attempt to create a formula in which to attract casual viewers to the show.

I agree, but it won't work if T'Pol is a Spock-clone. :laugh:

As far as similarities to Seven is concerned, I see a lot more than just the clothing similarities; the recurring theme of exploring humanity was first done with Data (rather successfully), then done with Seven (successful to a point, in an attempt to recapture the same magic acheived with Data) and now with T'pol.

Data wanted to explore humanity.

Seven was attempting to recover her lost humanity.

T'Pol is experrimenting with emotions.

Where's the similarity? I have yet to see a single episode where T'Pol explores humanity.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

That's not a technobable excuse. She lost control for that one episode. If you would watch the show more carefully, you'd learn that Doctor Phlox was able to repair the damage to T'Pol. Experrimenting with emotions may not be logical for a Vulcan, but ya know what? Not all Vulcans are the same.

Well, the lack of a technobabble excuse is even worse, it's B&B cloning seven and Data on a whim and using that exploration of humanity as an excuse to show skin dring the sweeps, for ratings purposes.

]All of this confirms that not only can't B&B actually understand what a Vulcan actually is, let alone even write one properley but also that they seem quite content with cloning seven of nine for the sake of the ratings.

B&B do understand what a Vulcan is, you just put Vulcans on a pedastol too high for B&B to ever reach. They're written T'Pol just fine as far as I'm concerned. T'Pol has nothing in common with Seven beyond wardrobe. :laugh:

I agree, but it won't work if T'Pol is a Spock-clone. :assimilated:

Exactly, I believe that there should not be a Vulcan regular character in the first place.

Where's the similarity? I have yet to see a single episode where T'Pol explores humanity.

She mentioned the experimentation with emotions, in doing so she has expressed an interest in understanding humanity through emotions. A recurring theme as I said.

I'm really interested in what you have to say Stewey - I think using Spock as a benchmark is an ideal way to see what is wrong with T'Pol. He was half human after all and so has set down a pretty clear guideline beyond which she cannot go. As a full Vulcan she might be interested in studying humans but not at all in exploring her humanity - she has nothing to explore! There is absolutely no basis for what happened in Harbinger and it was written in such a way as to be detrimental to both characters. I am also interested in your point that Vulcan females do not go through ponn farr - could you let me know where that is stated? It seems a bit unfair - I think that even if they don't, evolution would have been kind enough to ensure that they operated on a similar seven year cycle or there would be a lot of frustrated Vulcan females about - wait a minute do we have an answer here??!! :laugh:

Well, the lack of a technobabble excuse is even worse, it's B&B cloning seven and Data on a whim and using that exploration of humanity as an excuse to show skin dring the sweeps, for ratings purposes.

When has she explorred humanity? I have yet to see this and I've seen every episode. As for showing skin, that's at the request of UPN.

]All of this confirms that not only can't B&B actually understand what a Vulcan actually is, let alone even write one properley but also that they seem quite content with cloning seven of nine for the sake of the ratings.

I agree, but it won't work if T'Pol is a Spock-clone. :assimilated:

Exactly, I believe that there should not be a Vulcan regular character in the first place.

Why? I believe there should, since ENT's main two races are Humans and Vulcans.

She mentioned the experimentation with emotions, in doing so she has expressed an interest in understanding humanity through emotions. A recurring theme as I said.

Experrimenting with emotions does not mean she's explorring humanity.

Spock - Struggled with Human emotions.

Data - Wanted to become more Human.

Odo - Tried to understand solids.

Seven - Struggled with regaining her Humanity.

T'Pol - Explorring emotions.

Just how are Data and Seven cloned into T'Pol? :assimilated:

I'm really interested in what you have to say Stewey - I think using Spock as a benchmark is an ideal way to see what is wrong with T'Pol.  He was half human after all and so has set down a pretty clear guideline beyond which she cannot go. As a full Vulcan she might be interested in studying humans but not at all in exploring her humanity - she has nothing to explore!  There is absolutely no basis for what happened in Harbinger and it was written in such a way as to be detrimental to both characters. I am also interested in your point that Vulcan females do not go through ponn farr - could you let me know where that is stated?  It seems a bit unfair - I think that even if they don't, evolution would have been kind enough to ensure that they operated on a similar seven year cycle or there would be a lot of frustrated Vulcan females about  - wait a minute do we have an answer here??!! :laugh:

It has enver been stated in an episode nor movie that Vulcan females do not go through Pon-Far.

T'Pol is Vulcan, so why does Stewey think she's trying to explore humanity? :assimilated:

As for T'Pol acting emotional: Do all Humans act the same? No. So why should all Vulcans act the same? Personally, I like variety.

As for Trip/T'Pol, I believe that's been building up all season.

CJLP is exactly right on this. T'Pol is playing the role of a Vulcan perfectly! A Vulcan that is the first to spend an extended amount of time with humans. Most Vulcans of the time look down their noses at Humans and T'Pol at first was like the others but now after 3 years she has learned how honorable a kind humans can be and since she is a science officer why not explore the whole human emotion thing, its all new to her.

And don't forget, Vulcans DO have emotions they just know how to restrain them, but imagine being with emotional people for 3 years, even deeply held emotions may start to come out.

T'Pol is right up there with the other great Vulcans like Spock and Tuvok. Its ashame you can't see that.

Okay, do you guys really think you'd like her so much if she had the same T'Pol character but looked like Dr. Pulaski? :assimilated:

After what she did to poor Trip, using him like that, and then calling him an experiment - he has feelings if she doesn't..... Do I need a better reason not to like her.  I do have to admire her taste though :laugh:

Would you like Trip if he looked like McCoy. Touche!

Besides, T'pol wasn't explaining their romantic encounter to Tucker, she was trying rationalize what happened to herself.

Dr. McCoy is rather a handsome man - but Trip is funny. Sense of humor and intelligence top my list. No other character may do the shirtless look as well as Trip but I resent the fact that all Trip has done this season is be a backdrop to T'Pol's midriff baring. I would rather see him spend more time on the bridge rather than taking off his shirt every episode.

T'Pol doesn't have a personality - Spock had loads of personality. Tuvok had personality. You could tell that both Spock and Tuvok were at times attracted to a female character. There is nothing in T'Pol's manner or behavior to suggest she likes Trip - genuinely likes him. She's hot for his body maybe but in general she's contemptuous of everything he is.

Their roll in the sheets was just for sex and nothing else. And that is when I feel there is too much sex - when it isn't founded on a genuine affection. I don't wish being used on anybody.

UH, I'm beginning to think you may be a little jealous about T'Pol and Trip's relationship. Hee Hee

If I were about ten (15) years younger.... :laugh:

Sometimes he reminds me of my favorite nephew and so of course you want the best for them. And that's my point - there is no relationship - if she were good to that boy it would be different.

okay one more edit....

Besides - Archer is by far the better choice for a relationship.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter