Should public officials have higher penalties

hould public officials have higher penalties when they commit crimes  

10 members have voted

1. 1. hould public officials have higher penalties when they commit crimes

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Stardate:213778.9

I voted no.Just because they are in a position of power doesnt mean they are different from the rest of us.They should get the same penalties as the rest of us

I think it depends on what you mean by "higher penalities." Many public officials get smaller penalties than Joe Schmo who commits the same crime. In that sense, I vote yes - as Geranimo said, they should serve the same time as anyone else.

I voted yes, public officials are put in their postions by us and when they break the law they break the trust we have imposed on them.

I agree,it's amazing when you hear on the news that someone does something wrong and gets either a slap wrist or a small fine,then you think if that was me I'll either end up in prison or a hefty fine. :)

What I feel is that public officials and might I add celebrities and CEO types should be treated no differently in court from the average person. Yet what we often see happening is that they get a mere slap on the wrist. Whereas if we committed a similar crime, we would be treated very differently.

Stardate:213778.9

I voted no.Just because they are in a position of power doesnt mean they are different from the rest of us.They should get the same penalties as the rest of us

Exactly what I think.

I voted yes, public officials are put in their postions by us and when they break the law they break the trust we have imposed on them.

We don't exactly impose our trust on them; we put our trust in them. However, I think that really we put our trust in everyone to follow the rules, so everyone that breaks the law is as accountable as everyone else.

~Conor