Sign in to follow this  
xenexian

Sunshine

I love science fiction. That goes without saying since I'm here at this site and an original Star Trek fan, (It's an age thing, don't go there.) so I'm interested if anyone else saw this movie? Whenever I watch a Sci Fi film, my rating starts off at 5, (on a scale of 1 to 10) and then I proceed to adjust that rating as the movie progresses. This one, released a couple of years ago, had a great looking trailer and the special effects are over above average, to say the least. The story was a bit typical, Earth's sun in trouble, mankind gathers to save the day and then proceeds to accomplish just that. But what caught my attention was the storytelling itself and the usage of actual scientific theories to re-start a star. The mere size of the thermonuclear device, though, was almost beyond reasoning. How large does an object, a man made object mind you, have to be in order for it to project and maintain it's own gravitational field? Albeit a very weak one but a gravity field none the less. When two of the main characters, in a typical end of movie battle to save the bomb fall off the edge, each gets about halfway down before they both skid to a stop on what should be the vertical side of the bomb. And then, of course, the camera angle changes to a horizontal one so you don't feel any vertigo in the theater seats. Almost a bit surreal but thought provoking enough to begin to make this movie worthwhile. The images of the ship behind an enormous sun shield was one of the better special effects that I had seen in some time and what happens to a living organism when it leaves that shield was an eerie sight, to say the least. Overall, I did give this movie a 6.5 on the Xenexian scale of ratings. I do recommend it if you're looking for a Sci-Fi fix and there's nothing better on but it's not a mind blower as I hoped it would be. Anyone else see this movie?