Sign in to follow this  
xenexian

Concerning credits for "Siege of AR-558".

So many things to catch up on. Here's a question that I've been trying to find the answer to for some time. For Sci-Fi fans in general, the name Billy Mumy is one that transcends the past four decades. From his appearance on the Twilight Zone to Will Robinson of Lost in space to Babylon 5. Why then, with his acting resume, is he not listed in the credits of AR-558? I'll admit it's been awhile since I've watched the episode but I don't seem to recall his name listed. I even checked the Star Trek encyclopedia and he has no listing there either. Anyone?

He's listed in the credits as Bill Mumy. I'll have to watch it again too but I'm pretty sure he gets killed in the episode.

It's also on his IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0612621/

He does die and I checked Memory Alpha, he is credited as Special Guest Star. Maybe that's where the confusion lies.

You probably see a couple dozen people in any given Trek episode. It would be impossible to give them all screen time on the credits.

However, the determination of the order in the credits, or who gets credited and who doesn't, is a mystery.

Eddie Paskey, who played Lt. Leslie in TOS and often filled in for Shatner in rehersals (and is a member of startrekfans.net by the way) appeared in more episodes than Walter Koenig, but was rarely credited for it.

Then again, Paramount probably wishes they could undo the Andy Dick credit in Message in a Bottle.

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

You probably see a couple dozen people in any given Trek episode. It would be impossible to give them all screen time on the credits.

However, the determination of the order in the credits, or who gets credited and who doesn't, is a mystery.

Eddie Paskey, who played Lt. Leslie in TOS and often filled in for Shatner in rehersals (and is a member of startrekfans.net by the way) appeared in more episodes than Walter Koenig, but was rarely credited for it.

Then again, Paramount probably wishes they could undo the Andy Dick credit in Message in a Bottle.

It's hardly a mystery. Extras are never credited and neither are stand-ins (Paskey was both). The only credited parts are those that speak unless the actor requests that they not be credited (it happens). So unless Paskey were to speak he wouldn't be credited. Another prime example of this is Tarik Ergin who played Ayala on Voyager and is a regular Star Trek stand-in. He appeared in 119 episodes of Voyager but is only credited in two. The only two in which he speaks (Fury and Renaissance Man).

Additionally, I believe only members of the SAG can have speaking roles. So when King Abdullah of Jordan made an appearance on Voyager (Investigations) he couldn't speak on camera because he isn't an SAG member.

It's hardly a mystery. Extras are never credited and neither are stand-ins (Paskey was both). The only credited parts are those that speak unless the actor requests that they not be credited (it happens). So unless Paskey were to speak he wouldn't be credited. Another prime example of this is Tarik Ergin who played Ayala on Voyager and is a regular Star Trek stand-in. He appeared in 119 episodes of Voyager but is only credited in two. The only two in which he speaks (Fury and Renaissance Man).

Additionally, I believe only members of the SAG can have speaking roles. So when King Abdullah of Jordan made an appearance on Voyager (Investigations) he couldn't speak on camera because he isn't an SAG member.

I'm not sure about the SAG requirement for speaking but I"m pretty sure that speaking roles to have to be credited. I just checked "This Side of Paradise" and he's credited on that one, which I figured he would be because there's a part where the crew is all beaming down to the surface and Kirk talks to him and says "This is munity" and Lt. Leslie says "Yes sir, it is" or something like that. So he spoke and got a closing credit.

If you check IMDB though you'll see the vast majority of his episodes were uncredited: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0664624/filmoseries#tt0060028

And yes, he is a member. Mr. Paskey drop by for a visit sometime, we'd all be interested in some stories from the set.

Additionally, I believe only members of the SAG can have speaking roles.

Stephen Hawking?

The way around that could be that it wasn't Hawking actually talking, it was a computerized voice. Not his own. But it very well could be that non SAGites can talk, I'll ask my brother when he gets here tomorrow. He has had some dealings in that area and may know.

The SAG requirement is real. I've worked with voice talent for over 30 years and even if a talent is a member of AFTRA, they still have to join SAG to get a speaking role in movies and some TV shows, depending on who's footing the bankroll for the production. People who are voice talent for radio and/or TV can be a member of AFTRA, if they want, or be ann independent free lance voice but if that same person wants to do film or TV roles and have a speaking part, you've got to be a SAG member.

The SAG requirement is real. I've worked with voice talent for over 30 years and even if a talent is a member of AFTRA, they still have to join SAG to get a speaking role in movies and some TV shows, depending on who's footing the bankroll for the production. People who are voice talent for radio and/or TV can be a member of AFTRA, if they want, or be ann independent free lance voice but if that same person wants to do film or TV roles and have a speaking part, you've got to be a SAG member.

In the case of Stephen Hawking though, would I be correct in my guess that he would not have that requirement since it's a computerized voice and not his own?

That is a possibility since I'm not sure that the SAG union contract has any clause that covers artificial voices or computerized ones. I"m going to speculate that Steven may have done what Dave Thomas, founder of Wendy's did when he wanted to be in his own TV and radio spots and that is, just join the union. The cost is really not that much and it's one of those requirements that seems silly but keeps everyone within the confines of the labor agreement and no one gets bent out of shape about losing a gig to a non-professional actor. He may not ever use his membership again but if he ever appears on TV again, outside of a news event or such which is not covered by any performing contract, he would have no trouble being given a speaking part on a scripted show, ala Star trek. Joining the AFTRA and SAG union isn't that big of a deal and I have my own opinions as to what constitutes a union or non union talent and the cost is quite minimum. To actors though, it's the yearly membership dues and such that have to be paid to keep working on union gigs that may get expensive after awhile, especially when the gigs are few and far between.