Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

What is it about Star Trek?

What is it about Star Trek that sets it apart from other shows/movies? Not only the show, but the fans?

Star Trek is like nothing else in it's scope, it's following or it's influence on our cultures. I haven't done any studies or anything else like that but I doubt that other shows have as big an international following as Star Trek does. Just look at the number of countries that have visited this site. I think it's around 52 or 53 now. It never stops amazing me when I see that list.

So what is it? Why does Star Trek have such a broad appeal? Is it hope for the future? Is it great acting? Great writing? Universal stories?

I don't think it's any one thing, rather a combination of the things I mentioned above.

What do you think?

I have to agree with you VBG. I think that it is definitely a combination of the items that you have listed above. I think that Trek has become more than a show because it deals with current day issues that can be seen thoughout the world. It is also great to see a show that depicts the future as a positive time to be looked forward to not feared.

Stardate:213764.9

I think people look at Star Trek and they see something that could be.People watch the show and wonder"Could that be us??Could that possibily be our future?"And the great thing is is that it could be.Thats why i think Star Trek has touched so many people cause people know that one day Star Trek could be just more than a show.It could be a reality :drool:

it definately has at least something to do with the positive aspect of our future. too many shows, allbeit entertaining, show the earths future as very dismal. startrek doesnt. plus it is good entertainment, and great FX, and for many people, im sure there are many different reasons.

The character development, the deep stories, set in outer space with all the special effects, make Star Trek different. Humanity did really move into space. Human, heartfelt stories in space, and also the ability to be very speculative, because it is science fiction.

Wow - that's way too intellectual for me. I enjoy Star Trek for those reasons, but they're secondary. Primarily, I love the characters. Escapism figures prominently into it, as well. A whole other universe in which to play, at least for an hour or so...

All the above mentioned with this addition.

Since TOS the Dream of Trek was always only that, a dream. TOS suggested a VERY distant almost unobtainable utopian society on Earth, something they must have worked very hard to achieve.

Now thanks to ENT the Dream does not seem so far away especially since the people on ENT are not that different from us, it is much easier to believe the Dream of Trek can become a reality if we only allow it to.

I have been meaning to post in this thread for some time but I just can't think of anything more to add. How I feel about Trek has been said so elloquantly by so many others already.

Like James Doohan once said "It's Got some kind of magic"

It's one of the few shows that dosen't wallow in the usuall muck and mire of most television themes. it was positive, hopeful and dare i say it.....moral. It's about how we should treat each other and our world. And it just made me feel good.

I have been meaning to post in this thread for some time but I just can't think of anything more to add.  How I feel about Trek has been said so elloquantly by so many others already.

Well, in essence you said it without saying it. Star Trek gives a sense of community. While the show brings different things to different people it seems that the same values, the same attributes always shine through. And I think that's a big reason for the huge success of Star Trek.

WELL SAID VBG. we do have a community here, and it is as a result of star trek. you couldnt ask for a better show to show the positive attributes man is capable of.