Sign in to follow this  
shinzonfan

Favorite Data Memory

The last topic, Closure, made me start thinking about the funeral they had (or should I say did not have) for Data. I was wondering if you guys where there what would you say about Data, or what was you fondest memory of him? I hope this does not depress any of you. That last topic just got me thinking about it.

For me, I would have to say that Data never realized how human he truly was. It is the struggle (of life) that makes us human, and how we deal with that struggle and Data dealt with it with more honor, truth and sincerity than anyone.

I think one of my fondest memories of him is how at the beginning of the series he would "inquiry" everything anyone said and then ramble on about it. It was like watching a child discover something new for the first time.

I hope this topic was not discussed already. I tried to look through the other posts to be sure. Apologies if it was.

"You could learn a lot from this one." "Sure, the robot who teaches the course in humanities."

--Guinan to Q, about Data--"Deja Q"

I don't think I could just one memory as being my favourite. I really liked when Data met Dr. Soong for the first time in Brothers (before and after Lore's visit).

Another favourite memory would be of Data and Lal. Oh and the poker games, they were always special. And I did like the way he would babble on or when he would realize that he had unknowingly used a human behaviour - tapping his fingers on the console in Data's Day or when he was talking to himself in Conspiracy.

There are many more and the humourous memories are too many to list.

When Riker shaved his beard and said to Data "Smooth as an androids bottom" then later Data feels his face and shakes his head. Classic.

Or

At the end of The Gambit when Picard is going into his quarters to rest and Picard says Riker is an "outlaw" Data takes Riker away to the brig lol

Data.. their are Lots of memories of data.. i really like how in the begginging he had the curosity of a child but by the end he had really matured.. and threw out his life he strived to be human... and Humand strived to be like him..

I really Liked In "the Naked now" how the disease effected him, in the same way it affected Humans... hehe

"if u (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't) mem do i not blink..."

"fully functional.."

~Laur :wow:

There is not a single memory for me...his EXISTENCE is a memory for me. from the opening scenes in Farpoint to him singing "Blue Skies" in Nemesis. His whole 42 years of life was a memory I know I will never forget( Well the 16 years that we got to see). I know we all will forever miss him. He was a friend and he was family for most of us Maybe even all of us, in one way or another. His curiosty, his innocence, his strength and intellegence.... all were memorable. He brought out the best in everyone, in his struggle to understand humanity. There will forever be a missing piece of my heart, I miss him so much.......

I really Liked In "the Naked now" how the disease effected him, in the same way it affected Humans... hehe

I asked my 8 year old daughter what her favourite funny Data moment was and she said "when Data fell down" in Naked Now. She loves that episode.

I don't think that I can say what my favorite Data moment is but I do think one of his most human moments was in the episode "The Most Toys". This episode was really pretty sad in a way but I think it was just about the most emotional Data ever became without actually being emotional. I loved the way that he refused to submit to Kivas Fajos wishes until Fajo thretend to kill Varria. And at the end of the episode when Fajo does kill Varria Data goes completly over the edge (or as much as an emotionless android can) and is ready to kill Fajo when the Enterprise finally transports him back. And I thought it was interesting when after he got back to the Enterprise and Riker and O'Brian ask him about the weapon being in a state of discharge that he plays ignorence about the event. Brent Spiner did an excellent job in this episode I think.

user posted image

On a lighter note: I love it when Q gives Data laughter in Deja Q.

Most Toys, is one of my favorites too. And to be honest it is one of the episodes that convinced me that Data has always had emotions. It's just that his natural emotions are those of an android and therefore different in strength, and expression from those of a human, or Klingon or Vulcan etc. Personally I think all Soong's chip did was help Data express the emotions in a way more familiar to the life forms around him.