Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

'Star Trek XI' No Reboot Says Abrams

Interesting how Kirk had no problem racing around in a Corvette yet in "A Piece Of The Action", he acted as though he had never seen a car before.

What this tells me is that he's taking some heat for going outside canon already. He's having to "justify" things just from the trailer. Hopefully I'm wrong but I see a train wreck coming.

As for not thinking about canon, there's a lot of Trek fans that have devoted many years to Star Trek and the history that it has established. It's that history that people hold on to. Personally I have been a devout Trek fan for 35+ years. My earliest memories are of watching Star Trek with my father and brothers.

I'm sure Kor is the same way, and Indy and AE and TheUnicornHunter all of the other members that grew up on TOS. Before there were movies and new series, Picard and Sisko or Janeway and Archer. It was Kirk, Spock and Bones.

Star Trek doesn't need a "reboot" or "re-imaging". It's image is just fine as it is. It's history is just fine as it was written and doesn't need to be screwed with by someone that isn't even a Trek fan.

If they want to re-image or reboot it then they need to do it by using new characters in different ships. Give us the Romulan war, the birth of the Federation. Anything, but don't screw with Kirk, Spock and Bones.

Mandy can testify that I was really looking forward to this movie, almost to the point of being excited. But after I saw the picture of the Enterprise my enthusiasm waned a little. Then I saw shots of the bridge and it waned a little more. Now the trailer comes out... it looks like an exciting movie, action packed and all that. But Screwing with canon the way it looks like they have has totally thrown my enthusiasm out the window.

I'll still watch the movie when it comes out... whether or not I go to the movies to see it is another thing though lol

I totally hope I'm wrong and I totally hope they don't royally screw with canon, but entrusting someone that isn't a fan and doesn't seem to have much regard for lifelong fans is just very disappointing.

We'll see if it all works well.

I share your trepidation, VBG. I'll still see it in the movies as I always do but I'm a bit worried as well.