Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Trip's Sister

Okay, I brought this issue up before and everyone pooh-poohed me. I still maintain the writer's should keep track of the background they write for their characters.

In Xindi Phlox asks T'Pol if she has siblings...she says no...he then adds "Cmdr Tucker had one sister" sounding as if it was his only sibling. But from season one in Fusions he mentions his brother.

The faux pas with Travis' sister turned into a brother was pretty bad too.

Phlox said Trip had one sister, not one sibling. Lizzie's existence doesn't contradict the earlier mention of Trip's brother. What nicks at me about the situation is Archer's question posed in "The Expanse" when Trip came to see him the first time to ask what part of Florida had been hit. We all remember.

"Older or younger?"

I argued that Archer meant "Your older or younger sister?" but with Phlox saying in "The Xindi" that Trip had one sister.....it doesn't reflect well on the character. I suppose Archer could have meant "Older or younger sibling?" but that doesn't reflect well on him at all that he wouldn't know all of Trip's siblings. Two years have passed in the show's timeline. That means that Archer and Trip have known each other for ten years. We've been led to believe that they were close for crying out loud. :unsure: Another sense of Berman and Braga's lack of savvy when it comes to characterization. How could Archer's question be interpreted any other way than that he didn't know all of Trip's siblings (considering Phlox's later statement in "The Xindi")? B&B wrote both episodes. They should keep better track. :saintdevil:

Mike Susssman never would have made such a mistake when writing characters. If Sussman had written "The Expanse," instead of asking "Older or younger?" Archer would have asked "Lizzie or (Christopher, Brian, Caleb)?" to indicate that he knew who Trip's siblings were. Was it Lizzie or Christopher who is living in Florida, Trip? Did Christopher move back from Ireland with your nephew?

Grrrrrr..............

Phlox said Trip had one sister,  not one sibling

Technically correct he said sister...but it was a statement made in response to T'Pol's statement regarding siblings...which is how he phrased his original questionl ie siblings.

A good lawyer could argue either interpretation..I think it implies one sibling. Under the circumstances they should have mentioned other siblings. Besides I got the impression (somewhere) that it actually was a sister that was living in Ireland so really there should be two more siblings because Lizze apparently did not have a family.

They never messed up how many brothers Kirk or Picard had. Now that I think of it...we know less about Trip's family than anyone else's. We've seen Malcolms parents and sister...Hoshi's parents... Travis' brother and mother...one of Phlox's wives and flashbacks of Archer's father...though I'd like to know if Archer had siblings or where his mother is.

You know, the producers must be aware that the ST fan base loves to grasp every detail of every series. You would think they would be more careful with the details. They really should keep a detailed and current outline of the characters, as well as other aspects of the show catalogued in a library database. (Yes, I know they have a "library" on ST.com, but the contents are not very current.)

Does anyone know Berman and Braga's address so I could apply for the job? LOL

Archer's statement in Fusion was part of the older Original direction, The Expanse represents the beginning of the New direction.

History has been made with a changing of information in the ENT bible regarding Trip's past to better suit the New direction.

Any blame for that should imo, be placed on the gripers, a lasting testament to their meddling legacy.

Archer's statement in Fusion was part of the older Original direction, The Expanse represents the beginning of the New direction.

History has been made with a changing of information in the ENT bible regarding Trip's past to better suit the New direction.

Any blame for that should imo, be placed on the gripers, a lasting testament to their meddling legacy.

I'm not sure I understand what griping has to do with carelessness. Archer's question regarding Trip's sister was in "The Expanse"; end of season two not in Fusion so it's not part of an older plan. Which I can't see how the new plan dictates Trip have only one sibling rather than two or three. I don't think anyone who has last a sister felt it less if they had other siblings.

They also couldn't keep what city Trip was from straight...in Fusion he's from Panama City and then they keep bouncing him all over the state.

Also, in the first season episode Fortunate Son Travis tells another cargo runner that he had a sister - the next season he visits his home The Horizon and lo and behold that sister has become a brother. They're just careless. Most other shows I watch..non SciFi or SciFi try to keep their character's histories straight.

Did they say he didn't have a sister in that episode?

If you're referring to Travis...he indicated in Fortunate Son he left behind a sister and brother in law on the Horizon ..his only sibling...his family lived aboard the cargo ship and his parents didn't want him to leave but they had his sister.

Then in Horizon, it's a brother that had always been there and was left behind when Travis joined Starfleet

It's not "carelessness" if they meant to do it.

Why would they mean to do it? I know you suggested it had something to do the arc into the expanse changing history. Which makes no sense, Trip would suffer the death of a sister whether he had one sister or a dozen sisters.

As I pointed out, the carelessness with Travis was in first and second season so they have nothing to do with the new arc.

If this was intentional they're a bigger bunch of idiots than I thought.

Guest Guest

It's an interesting theory. I'd be curious to see how they resolve all the issues and restore the timeline at the end if it's true.