Sign in to follow this  
TJ Phaserman

Jobless German hands in cash, gold found by road

BERLIN (Reuters) - An unemployed construction worker found a package filled with 16,000 euros (12,683 pounds) in cash and items of gold jewellery beside a busy German road -- and turned it over to authorities, police said on Wednesday.

The 56-year-old father of a disabled son, whose family relies on state unemployment benefits of about 600 euros per month, spotted the large brown envelope while cycling along a road near Ermstedt in the eastern state of Thuringia, a police spokesman said.

"The money would have been like a gift from heaven for me," the finder, Thomas Liedtke, was quoted as saying in the Bild newspaper.

"It would have come in handy for the heating bill. But my conscience got the better of me. It was a hard decision to go to the police."

The origins of the money were not known, the police spokesman added.

He said no one had reported missing the wad of rolled-up of 500 euro notes and jewellery, which included a ring, medallion, necklaces and ear rings.

Dieser dumme Idiot...Ich wurde von hielt das Geld...

If he could live with himself about the cash then he did the right thing. I would not call him idiot for doing what he believes is the right thing to do. I bet in Germany if money is not claim within a certain time he will get it back. Thank so much better.

BERLIN (Reuters) - An unemployed construction worker found a package filled with 16,000 euros (12,683 pounds) in cash and items of gold jewellery beside a busy German road -- and turned it over to authorities, police said on Wednesday.

The 56-year-old father of a disabled son, whose family relies on state unemployment benefits of about 600 euros per month, spotted the large brown envelope while cycling along a road near Ermstedt in the eastern state of Thuringia, a police spokesman said.

"The money would have been like a gift from heaven for me," the finder, Thomas Liedtke, was quoted as saying in the Bild newspaper.

"It would have come in handy for the heating bill. But my conscience got the better of me. It was a hard decision to go to the police."

The origins of the money were not known, the police spokesman added.

He said no one had reported missing the wad of rolled-up of 500 euro notes and jewellery, which included a ring, medallion, necklaces and ear rings.

Dieser dumme Idiot...Ich wurde von hielt das Geld...

Just because this man knows right from wrong and you don't doesn't make him an idiot.....

If he could live with himself about the cash then he did the right thing. I would not call him idiot for doing what he believes is the right thing to do. I bet in Germany if money is not claim within a certain time he will get it back. Thank so much better.

I agree.

This man has his priorities in place - a clear conscience is worth more than gold.

I will also add that it contradicts the notion that poverty creates crime. Many poor people still know right from wrong.