Sign in to follow this  
Eratosthenes

What's HAPPENED here?!

Okay, I remember this place as a very bustling, lively forum with tons of people alwayslogged on. As recently as one year ago 581 people were logged on at the same time. in 2005 there were frequent chat sessions, games, etc.

Now there's barely any activity whatsoever! I can make a post and 5 days later see that it's still the most recent post in that forum! I searched 'Star Trek forum' on Google, ad didn't see this forum on any of the first 35 pages, when it used to be on page one...

What's happened here? Did we have an ad campaign that ended or something? We need to get us back on the map!

Edited by Eratosthenes

Enterprise got cancelled and a lot of people lost interest in Star Trek. Things are building back up though, and the 581 from last year may have been spiders. There was a big spider invasion across the internet last summer.

I still see plenty of posts here. I've never seen a post survive more than a day on the first page. Personally, the reason my posts have decreased is that I have made the decision not to post just for the sake of posting.

Actually I was thinking that it had actually picked up a little bit here. Typically, isn't there always a summer slowdown? But recently STF has had some members return after an absence, such as yourself, Eratosthenes. :)

I still see plenty of posts here. I've never seen a post survive more than a day on the first page. Personally, the reason my posts have decreased is that I have made the decision not to post just for the sake of posting.

Go ahead and post the news items and stuff that you've posted in the past. They're interesting and help bring people in (through the spiders).

Actually I was thinking that it had actually picked up a little bit here. Typically, isn't there always a summer slowdown? But recently STF has had some members return after an absence, such as yourself, Eratosthenes. :)

Yeah, summer has always been slower than other times of the year.

So far this year has already surpassed all of last year in terms of site hits with 13,861,291 hits and we still have 4 anfd a half months to go. The entire year last year we had 8,341,337 hits.

Of course hits don't translate into posts so looking at the posting stats for 2007 we had 21,273. So far for 2008 we've had 46,912 posts with 4 and a half months left to go.

Things have slowed down since Enterprise went off the air, but that's to be expected. But as you can see just from last year to now we've basically doubled in activity and visitors.

I've noticed a slow down on posts, but the amount of members seem to be increasing gradually. There was a time I used to spent HOURS on here. Most of the "original" members have either got married or had children since I've been here so we haven't seen them in a while. It's good to see some of them are returning or have "popped-in" a few times.

I dislocated my left knee 3 years ago due to lack of movement. I spent ages on the computer and this forum was the main reason. So that's why I've not posted as often.

:) Maybe we could set up a group on Facebook and sort of advertise the site?

I know I see pages and pages of Vic posts about whoever's anniversary each and every week. Well over 90% are gone.

I clicked on one old members profile for the 1st time yesterday that had over 4,000 posts and they left a fairly nasty good-bye note on their page about liberals being beaten up by the moral majority of conservatives here @ STF.NET and whatnot. You just hate seeing good members leave a Star Trek site over some political BS like that, when the mission statement here for all members should primarily be their interest in Star Trek and sharing other fun things as well, however good members posting fun/interesting topics will pull more new members. :)

I'm very pleased to some old members returning.

People do get busy with other things too.

I do think that new things like minicities, etc are fun. Maybe a facebook page or more adverts of different sorts is a good idea. Old standbys like trivia and chat are good too.

I do like game threads, and read a lot of other threads, but don't necessarily post on them.

Seems fairly busy to me, I'm seeing between 4 and 5 pages (25 threads made/responded to per page) made a day.

On Kronos: Historically Conservative's are often more aggressive than Liberals in stating their opinions. The problem I see is the Left often break under the Rights pressure; they then either give up or cross the line going from arguing their case to fighting which draws a Warning PM from me. They then hi-tail-it-out blaming me for not doing something to protect them and/or accusing me of being bias. Note: the same has also occurred in reverse but Righties, for some reason I don't understand, tend to better deal with being disciplined.

As for the Anniversary threads, I wish more people would reply to them. VBG said those posts also generate an e-mail to the member, if that causes them to come check us out again then them seeing a positive response to their Anniversary threads might cause them to stick around.

Your points are all well-taken! :) I actually almost started a small ad campaign for this website on my own yesterday...heehee.

Every little bit helps boost visibility. One thing I did a month or 2 ago was to take all of the videos from the "Video Vault" and uploaded them to YouTube and each video has the site logo at the opening or ending of the video, so we get some exposure there.

I expect that with the movie coming up next May that we'll see a bump in activity then as well.

On Kronos: Historically Conservative's are often more aggressive than Liberals in stating their opinions. The problem I see is the Left often break under the Rights pressure; they then either give up or cross the line going from arguing their case to fighting which draws a Warning PM from me. They then hi-tail-it-out blaming me for not doing something to protect them and/or accusing me of being bias. Note: the same has also occurred in reverse but Righties, for some reason I don't understand, tend to better deal with being disciplined.

It's interesting I had a simliar thought when I read the note on their page. If they would stick around instead of splitting perhaps they wouldn't be sooooo outnumbered anymore and the numbers fo lefties to righties would tend to even out. At any rate promoting a shared interest in Star Trek/Sci-Fi is I think the #1 reason everyone is here.

By the way, this is off topic but, I'm a leftie that won't find myself bullied by a righty. :-P

I'm glad there's a lot of interest in this thread. Maybe we could ALL (as all of us that have posted in this thread are either old members or big posters) start spreading small seeds of the site around the web. You know, dropping a word, making a banner, dressing up like a Borg and running through the streets with a holo-sign depicting this fantabulous website and screaming at the top of our lungs about the great health care benefits...that sort of thing.

Edited by Eratosthenes

By the way, this is off topic but, I'm a leftie that won't find myself bullied by a righty. :-P

I'm glad there's a lot of interest in this thread. Maybe we could ALL (as all of us that have posted in this thread are either old members or big posters) start spreading small seeds of the site around the web. You know, dropping a word, making a banner, dressing up like a Borg and running through the streets with a holo-sign depicting this fantabulous website and screaming at the top of our lungs about the great health care benefits...that sort of thing.

I could do banners and create a Facebook group. That way, people can join the group IF THEY WANT TO. It's not forced advertising then.

I don't go as far as dressing up as Klingons and Borgs and holding signs doing the Trek hand sign.

Thanks Cara!

This thread just stayed up for five days on the front, and several other posts that are older than this one have stayed as the most recent in some of the other forums on the main page. :-\

This thread just stayed up for five days on the front, and several other posts that are older than this one have stayed as the most recent in some of the other forums on the main page. :-\

I'm curious what you mean by "the front page". This thread wasn't on the board's front page for 5 days, if it showed on the front page of the site for 5 days for you then it may have something to do with the cookies on your computer or the web cache on your computer. As it is for today alone, when I click on "Today's Active Topics" on the Forum Index it lists 4 pages of topics that have been active in the past 24 hours. That's nearly 100 threads with new posts in them today alone.

Holy crap! Something bogus must have happened...my cookie settings were all over the place. It hasn't affected anything but this board, though...oh well.

Holy crap! Something bogus must have happened...my cookie settings were all over the place. It hasn't affected anything but this board, though...oh well.

I thought it must have been something like that.

It's interesting I had a simliar thought when I read the note on their page. If they would stick around instead of splitting perhaps they wouldn't be sooooo outnumbered anymore and the numbers fo lefties to righties would tend to even out. At any rate promoting a shared interest in Star Trek/Sci-Fi is I think the #1 reason everyone is here.

At any rate promoting a shared interest in Star Trek/Sci-Fi is I think the #1 reason everyone is here. Well, that and Mini-Cities :hand:

I could do banners and create a Facebook group. That way, people can join the group IF THEY WANT TO. It's not forced advertising then.
It's helped out the Battlestar Wiki. I also recommend making a Fan Page (i.e. Memory Alpha Fan Page) and having a MySpace profile doesn't hurt (at all).

At any rate promoting a shared interest in Star Trek/Sci-Fi is I think the #1 reason everyone is here. Well, that and Mini-Cities :dude:

Out of 5 and a half years+ online the Mini Cities have only been around for about a month and a half. Star Trek is the #1 reason that I created the site, well that's actually not accurate either. I created the original site to promote a shared interest in the music group Alabama, Star Trek was only one of the "off topic" sections.

Star Trek very quickly overtook the Alabama aspect (much to the displeasure of Amy I might add :laugh: ) and I decided to convert the site into what is now STF. So there have always been "off topic" interests associated with the site. The site was born out of being an "off topic" interest lol.

Out of 5 and a half years+ online the Mini Cities have only been around for about a month and a half. Star Trek is the #1 reason that I created the site, well that's actually not accurate either. I created the original site to promote a shared interest in the music group Alabama, Star Trek was only one of the "off topic" sections.

Star Trek very quickly overtook the Alabama aspect (much to the displeasure of Amy I might add :frusty: ) and I decided to convert the site into what is now STF. So there have always been "off topic" interests associated with the site. The site was born out of being an "off topic" interest lol.

He's not kidding. I was devastated.....still am 5 years later..... :rolleyes: I know there have been several members who have wondered why I'm a member of this board since I don't care for Star Trek. I joined for two reasons. First, because I love Alabama, second, because I wanted to support Kevin and his "creation" that he started here. The second reason is why I remain a member.

Star Trek very quickly overtook the Alabama aspect (much to the displeasure of Amy I might add :frusty: ) and I decided to convert the site into what is now STF. So there have always been "off topic" interests associated with the site. The site was born out of being an "off topic" interest lol.

He's not kidding. I was devastated.....still am 5 years later..... :rolleyes: I know there have been several members who have wondered why I'm a member of this board since I don't care for Star Trek. I joined for two reasons. First, because I love Alabama, second, because I wanted to support Kevin and his "creation" that he started here. The second reason is why I remain a member.

(Closet Trekkie) ^^^

(Closet Trekkie) ^^^

Why do you insist on going down that road? You totally know that isn't true.

The surest sign of a closet Trekkie is their public protests against it... :rolleyes:

The surest sign of an individual who doesn't care for Star Trek would be someone who continually tells you she doesn't care for it.

The surest sign of a closet Trekkie is their public protests against it... :rolleyes:

The surest sign of an individual who doesn't care for Star Trek would be someone who continually tells you she doesn't care for it.

#13 http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?...mp;term=trekkie

13. Trekkie 13 up, 22 down

Anyone that has ever video taped more then 10 episodes of Star Trek for viewing at a later time or belongs to a Star Trek internet message board (STARTREKFANS.NET for example).

You know you are a Trekkie when you tape more then 10 episodes and post messages on (or are a moderator) STARTREKFANS.NET

by anonymous Aug 15, 2003

#13 http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?...mp;term=trekkie

13. Trekkie 13 up, 22 down

Anyone that has ever video taped more then 10 episodes of Star Trek for viewing at a later time or belongs to a Star Trek internet message board (STARTREKFANS.NET for example).

You know you are a Trekkie when you tape more then 10 episodes and post messages on (or are a moderator) STARTREKFANS.NET

by anonymous Aug 15, 2003

Give up on it Kevin.