Sign in to follow this  
Essoq

Closet Homosexuals on TNG?

If one of the main characters on TNG "came out of the closet" who would it be?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. If one of the main characters on TNG "came out of the closet" who would it be?

• Picard
    • Riker
    • Data
    • Worf
    • Geordi
    • Dr. Crusher
    • Troi

In the spirit of diversity, there really should be more homosexuals represented on Star Trek. Don't you think? I'm thinking Data(or B4). What do you guys think?

I think if a character was going to be homosexual, he/she SHOULD be a main character. So for TNG it has to one of these people (since it's a little late to be adding new characters). I don't seriously think anyone's going to come out or anything. This is all in fun.

Edited by Essoq

Deanna Troi always struck me as the type of person that would be more open to such a relationship,being that betazoids are kind of laid back and open and all that.I doubt Crusher would be,as she flatly turned down that trill ambassador (Odan,was it?)after he became a she.I don't really see any of the male characters listed,except maybe for Data(and I'm not even sure about him)as being potentially gay.Wesley,probably...Tasha Yar was a possibility.As a young woman and girl she had to avoid "rape" gangs on Turkana IV,and I think one flashback scene hinted that she was actually caught by one of these gangs once.That may have left her with a disdain for men,though she did have a fling with data...interesting "for fun" question.But I'll agree with captainfreeman that it should not be a main character.These characters have already all been firmly established as heterosexual.Maybe a new series will feature a gay or lesbian main character?

In the spirit of diversity, there really should be more homosexuals represented on Star Trek. Don't you think?

No not really, such a decision would split the fan base of Trek in half and the resulting decline in viewers would mean the end of the franchise.

the thing is...i can recall everyone of those charecters getting it on with some member of the opposite sex and enjoying it...so i vote no one..

Stardate:213712.8

Well i agree that none of them would turn out to be homosexual but if i had to pick one of those characters i would have to say Troi.She strikes me as the tyoe that would like to experiment with her sexuality :tear:

I haven't voted as they have all had some kind of relationship with the opposite sex,if there was a "None of them" vote then I think most people here would vote on that one.

In the spirit of diversity, there really should be more homosexuals represented on Star Trek. Don't you think?

No not really, such a decision would split the fan base of Trek in half and the resulting decline in viewers would mean the end of the franchise.

i'm sure someone said something remarkably similar to gene in connection with casting a black character on tos. aren't we all glad that this type of prejudice wasn't allowed to interfere with the trek universe?

all you homphobes please grow up and join the rest of us in the year 2003!

I have split this thread to a new one in Risa as it has turned more into a nature/nurture discussion on homosexuality.

Aw,no way man.That idea is terrible!I'd stop watching the show if their was a gay character! :blink: (cool!I just found a batman smiley)

How sad you are. What do you have against gay people? Why do you see it as a threat to you personally?

I haven't voted as they have all had some kind of relationship with the opposite sex,if there was a "None of them" vote then I think most people here would vote on that one.

What show have you been watching? Riker had a fling with an asexual alien and Crusher with a trill. None of the others crew had any relations with the "same sex".

SpaceHippie, Riker had a relationship with the asexual alien becuase it had feminine quallities. Crusher had the relationship with the Trill till it was placed within a woman, despite her love for the Trill, Crusher ended the relationship because of the female host at the end.

How sad you are. What do you have against gay people? Why do you see it as a threat to you personally?

I too would stop watching if there was a gay character. I, and others, have nothing against gay people, it's the act of homosexuallity people strongly disagree with. Who said it was a threat? It's just plain gross, that's all.

SpaceHippie, Riker had a relationship with the asexual alien becuase it had feminine quallities.  Crusher had the relationship with the Trill till it was placed within a woman, despite her love for the Trill, Crusher ended the relationship because of the female host at the end.

I too would stop watching if there was a gay character. I, and others, have nothing against gay people, it's the act of homosexuallity people strongly disagree with. Who said it was a threat? It's just plain gross, that's all.

How is it any less or more "gross" than what heterosexual people physically do to each other? Or is it just "mentaly gross'' to you? I bet there are a lot of males on this site who have no problem with lesbian sex but would not tollerate male gay sex... hipocrites.

SpaceHippie, Riker had a relationship with the asexual alien becuase it had feminine quallities.  Crusher had the relationship with the Trill till it was placed within a woman, despite her love for the Trill, Crusher ended the relationship because of the female host at the end.

Did you read the post that i was replying to? You have just repeated my post in different words. My point was that other than Crusher and Riker no other other character was involved in a same sex relationship as the previous poster claimed. Where was i wrong?

Edited by SpaceHippie

As I explaind, Riker and Crusher were not in same-sex relationships. Riker was involved with an asexual alien, that's not same sex, especially when she has feminine characteristics from Riker's perspective. As for Crusher, she broke off her relationship with the Trill when it got a female host.

:look: I picked Worf, just for the fun of it.

There should be a homosexual character on Star Trek, if only to represent homosexual people out there. I wouldn't like it if they were there because they were gay, it should be that their being gay would be just part of their character. Personally, I think that a homosexual character on Star Trek would help a lot of people get over their prejudice of homosexuality.

Go Worf! :laugh:

What the? None of the above. I don't mind homosexuals, but come on. Why would you want to see homosexuals on Star Trek? Star Trek is about the Human adventure not the sexualality nature adventure. We have already seen two encounters of gay both in Deep Space Nine. One that was Dax kissing another female, Quark dressed like a woman and kissed another guy. What more do you want? I don't watch to see who strips first and jumps into bed, I watch it as a imagination and an adventure of the Human condition.

Guest Guest
Why should there only be hetrosexuals in the adventure of the Human condition?

The Human condition means for everybody. Why should Star Trek show someone going to the bathroom? Would you want to see someone taking a pee? It would kind of mean that it is sort a put off. Homosexuals in Star Trek? Star Trek can make a hint, but would you want it to happen? No, it used to be a family show for younger viewers to see imagination not breasts and seeing people jump into bed together. For example the Voyage Home, it had emotion and it had friendships in every movie. In any of the movies, did you ever hear anybody saying there should've been a sex sence with Spock and Saavak? No Star Trek, would've been lost by season two of The Next Generation.

You may find alot of people saying "Yeah, I wouldn't care, and I hope they do". At some point they will and those same people would be saying that they should've never done it. Star Trek already explored it in Rejoined, Jadzia Dax kissed another woman. Thats called a gay kiss.

A few quotes for you to contemplate:

"It is entirely fitting that gays and lesbians 'will appear unobtrusively aboard the Enterprise - neither objects of pity nor melodramatic attention.'" Leonard Nimoy, letter to the Los Angeles Times, November 6, 1991

"It would be very appropriate if the upcoming Next Generation movies made it their business to have gay characters." Patrick Stewart, to The Advocate, August 22, 1995

"I've approached [berman] many, many times over the years about getting a gay character on the show--one whom we could really love, not just a guest star. Y'know, we had blacks, Asians, we even had a handicapped character-- and so I thought, this is now beginning to look a bit absurd. And he said, 'In due time.' And so, I'm suspecting that on Enterprise they will do something to this effect. I couldn't get it done on mine. And I am sorry for that." Kate Mulgrew, to Out in America, August 2002

"I was surprised at the question, because I had just assumed that over the course of the years that it had been addressed. I was surprised it was even an issue. (..) I haven't heard anything coming down the pipeline, but I would be in favor of it. I would hope it would be handled in a great way. It would be wonderful, in my opinion, if it was not such a huge issue, but was just there." Scott Bakula, to Metrosource, January 2002

"I'm sorry I never had a homosexual relationship, because I know there must be many joys and pleasures and degrees of closeness in those relationships." Gene Roddenberry, in Gene Roddenberry; The Last Conversation (by Yvonne Fern, 1994)

Why should there only be hetrosexuals in the adventure of the Human condition?

The Human condition means for everybody. Why should Star Trek show someone going to the bathroom? Would you want to see someone taking a pee? It would kind of mean that it is sort a put off. Homosexuals in Star Trek? Star Trek can make a hint, but would you want it to happen? No, it used to be a family show for younger viewers to see imagination not breasts and seeing people jump into bed together. For example the Voyage Home, it had emotion and it had friendships in every movie. In any of the movies, did you ever hear anybody saying there should've been a sex sence with Spock and Saavak? No Star Trek, would've been lost by season two of The Next Generation.

You may find alot of people saying "Yeah, I wouldn't care, and I hope they do". At some point they will and those same people would be saying that they should've never done it. Star Trek already explored it in Rejoined, Jadzia Dax kissed another woman. Thats called a gay kiss.

We are not talking about including explicit intimate sex scenes between to people of the opposite sex. We are talking about the inclusion of homosexual characters in Star Trek. Why do a lot of people think that there would be a lot more 'sex scenes' with homosexual characters? I assume that if gay characters were in Star Trek then they would have relationships with other characters and the showing of these relationships would be exactly the same as hetrosexual couples. (i.e. hugging, kissing, maybe some mild nudity but nothing explicit.)

To jorel: Those are some darn fine quotes perfectly illustrating the points that make the inclusion of homosexual characters perfectly acceptable.

I'm sure some people who didn't think it would be wholesome family viewing if a dark skinned character was in Star Trek: TOS as well...

The problem with homosexuals in Trek is that they "would" be very homosexual. So far, every homosexual I've come across, has been completely obsessed with sex and talked about it more than anything else. Not a judgement, just an observation.

As far as "gay representation" goes. I ask - why? I don't see Hoshi as representing Asians, I just see her as an Asian. Sulu didn't represent Japanese, he was just a Japanese guy. Did Chekov represent Russians? No, he just happened to be a Russian. I really am getting sick of all this representation crap. The character is what matters to me, not their race nor sexual preferrance.

The problem with homosexuals in Trek is that they "would" be very homosexual.  So far, every homosexual I've come across, has been completely obsessed with sex and talked about it more than anything else.  Not a judgement, just an observation.

As far as CJLP's comments refer to television homosexuals,I agree completely.They tend to be ubergay and sexually obsessed,which I doubt is the case with the majority of real gay and lesbian people.My sister likes to watch Spin City,and there is a gay black guy character on the show.The only thing he EVER talks about is what guy has a cute butt,and which guy he wants to sleep with or has slept with.Is there nothing more to the character?If you ask me characters like this are doing a diservice to gay and lesbians.