Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Tron versus The Matrix

Which of the following films do you prefer?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following films do you prefer?

• The Matrix
    • Tron

I would have to go for Tron. IMO it is the superior story and non of the effects appear silly as they did in the recent Matrix film. Tron is also a very nostalgic film as we have come such a long way in a short space of time.

bit.gif

Edited by TransporterMalfunction

Very few movies have sucked me into their world like The Matrix did. It's on my top 5 favorite movies of all time list.

Of course, I saw Tron on a very uncomfortable date, so that might color my opinion a little.

I've seen parts of Tron, but becuase of the bad special effects, it seems like it was made before it should have been.  If there was a remake, I'd watch it. :huh:

So, with this said, my vote is THE MATRIX trilogy. :tear:

i agree completely

I've seen parts of Tron, but becuase of the bad special effects, it seems like it was made before it should have been.  If there was a remake, I'd watch it. :tear:

I have to disagree there. At the time the special effects in the film were the top of the range, unless you mean that they are poor compared to modern effects.

If you are trying to compare modern effects to old effects then that is the reason why I prefer Tron as it represents the technology of the time within a game world which is why it works better than The Matrix, which tries to simulate the real world with various degrees of success IMO.

I love Tron.Superior storyline,awesome special effects for its day,and it's a Walt Disney motion picture...which means I can watch this comfortably with my daughter when she visits,without worrying about loads of graphic violence,sex,and cursing every other moment of dialog.Now,I ain't saying the Matrix has these faults,since I haven't watched more than half of the first Matrix (the last 45-minutes or so),and have never seen the second matrix movie.I also liked David Warner as the Villain.He is a great actor.

I've seen parts of Tron, but becuase of the bad special effects, it seems like it was made before it should have been.  If there was a remake, I'd watch it. :tear:

I have to disagree there. At the time the special effects in the film were the top of the range, unless you mean that they are poor compared to modern effects.

If you are trying to compare modern effects to old effects then that is the reason why I prefer Tron as it represents the technology of the time within a game world which is why it works better than The Matrix, which tries to simulate the real world with various degrees of success IMO.

I watched it in the 90's before seeing movies with gran effects. It still looked aweful to me. It wasn't a bad movie, just very confusing and too many neon lights.

Stardate:213712.9

Im going with Tron on this on.The first Matrix was good and the rest were crap IMHO.Tron was an awsome movie i thought

een tron for the first time recently so I can't look back to seeing it when it came out, so I must answer with the Matrix. The first matrix movie was brilliant and the fx did not look "silly" but I do agree with TrasporterMalfunction that in the latest matix flick they did look "silly".

i would love to see a tron remake. i liked the story, but i just couldnt get over how aweful the effects look compared to today. with the abilities of computers in our time, it would make a killer movie.

tron was good but the matrix rocks, and geranimo, how could you say the rest were crap theres only two so far the last one aint out yet, and that looks to be the best, by the previews. i cant wait for it to come out, and finally put an end to the trilogy, and give me an ending i can live with.

I chose The Matrix because they also went off on philisophical tangents of "What is real?" Would people prefer to be uninformed and happy or fully informed and miserable? Yin-Yang, etc. Tron had none of these things.

Don't get me wrong, Tron had cutting-edge special effects for it's time, but had they waited a few years later it would have been a better movie.

Tron was cool, especially for it's time. I vote for the Matrix, which is a film I can watch again and again. As much of a classic as Tron is, I could live comfortably for the rest of my life without ever seeing it again

The Matrix trilogy had me totally sucked into it, even if the 3rd one left a bad taste in my mouth, I gotta go with the Matrix

I've never seen Tron but the first Matrix is a great movie. The second is pretty good but complicates what was actually an uncomplicated story in part one and the third is just okay with not enough time in the Matrix (and has a terrible DVD cover). This really should have been the great modern trilogy but instead its a strong first movie that could have easily stood on its own with two weaker sequels. I think Lord of The Rings still constitutes the best film trilogy of the past ten years.

Really, the Wachowski brothers got greedy by making the story dependent on the Enter The Matrix game and The Animatrix (only about half of which is any good or has any real story value).

Also Keanu Reeves is a terrible actor (Carrie-Anne Moss isn't all that good either). Ironically, Hugo Weaving puts more emotion into what is really a less emotional character than Neo. Hands down Weaving is the best actor in the trilogy with Fishburne as a very close second.

The confusing thing about The Matrix trilogy is that Neo isn't really The One. The war should have been over as soon as Neo met The Architect. But the war continued afterwards. In fact the major battle of the war hadn't even started yet. There are only two possible reasons: 1) The prophecy was false, or at least had ben misinterpreted(Remember, it had been handed down verbally generation to generation for 100 years so some inaccuracy is to be expected.); or 2) Neo wasn't really the One.

I think both of these are factors. Remember, the prophecy said that the One would be born inside the Matrix and had the ability to change the Matrix. Neo could see the Matrix code from inside the Matrix but we never saw him changing the Matrix itself. He could change individuals inside the Matrix, such as saving Trinity, and he may have even carried the prime program, but we never saw him change the Matrix itself.

Also remember that The One was supposed to be born *inside the Matrix*. Neo was not born inside the Matrix. He was born in one of those lifepod things and then plugged in later.

So who was born in the Matrix and had the ability to change it? Smith changed the Matrix (making it rain) after he assimilated the Oracle so we can assume the Oracle could also change the Matrix. They were also both born inside the Matrix. However, neither one of them could be the One.

So who else could the One be? Who else had demonstrated the ability to change the Matrix from inside and be born inside it? The Merovingian demonstrated this ability to some degree. Even though he didn't change that much - just that cake the blond woman ate - he controlled others who could also control the Matrix in small ways - the Keymaker, that strange chateau that led to a different location every time a door opened, etc. But we also know the Merovingian had survived several of Neo's predecessors, each one leading to a different Matrix, so he couldn't be the one either.

That leaves only one other person who could be the One, and that is Sati, the little girl-program that the Oracle befriended. Remember, the prophecy didn't specifically say the One had to be human. Sati was born inside the Matrix, changed the Matrix by creating that sunrise and adding some blue coloring instead of that pale green color, and we also see the Oracle teaching her how to make cookies. Another meaning of "cookie" is a software mini-program as an add-on to another program.

The Oracle was training Sati to be the next Oracle (which was necessary because both Smith and the Merovingian were after her). And remember, the Oracle charged Seraph with Sati's protection. What was that line he said? "I protect that which matters most." Seraph left the Oracle to protect Morphius and Trinity because at that point they mattered more than the Oracle did. He did it again when Sati started her training. At that point the Oracle didn't matter much anymore (which is why she didn't resist when Smith assimilated her).

I'm not familiar with The Matrix Online but just from what we see in the movies Sati must have been both the One and the next Oracle. Neo was most likely a ruse to distract the Agents from going after The Oracle and Sati.