Sign in to follow this  
RikerChick

Earthquake shakes Southern California

The 11:42 a.m. quake initially was estimated at 5.8 but was revised downward to magnitude-5.4, said seismologist Kate Hutton of the U.S. Geological Survey office in Pasadena. More than a dozen aftershocks quickly followed, the largest estimated at magnitude-3.8. She told KNBC that the agency’s computers recorded 27 aftershocks by 12:40 p.m. Hutton said the strongest aftershock was magnitude 3.6.

caliquake.png

Strong quake shakes Southern California

It was about 20 miles from us (Monrovia).We felt a big "bump", then about a second later, there was some "rolling" motion (like a small boat in choppy water) for 15 - 20 seconds. No damage. We didn't feel any aftershocks.

Distant earthquakes aren't as bad here as elsewhere because this part of the San Gabriel Valley is on a large slab of solid granite, and it doesn't move very much unless the quake is very close. This one rocked pretty good, but it could have been worse.

I was in my car running around doing some errands during my lunch break. I did not feel it, but I heard it on the radio the earthquake few seconds after it happen. :P My home is fine.