Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Automobile auctions

I went to an Automobile auction yesterday (Saturday). It was really interesting. There were $30,000 SUV's thay were going for $6,000 and $8,000. There were $10,000 cars going for $2,500 and there were clunkers that were going for $50 and $100.

I was just there to waych but when I decide to buy something else I think I'll go to the auction and see if I can get a $25,000 Repo for $6,000 to $8,000.

Anyone else ever been to an auction or buy from an auction?

I used to handle security for the local car auction. I have seen $10,000 cars going for $500 - $600, because they were repos.

I haven't personally, but I know people who have. One woman I know had to wash the blood out of the trunk herself. Seriously! It had been used in a kidnapping and had been released by the police.

I never liked riding in her car. :force:

Other people I know talk about their great deals, though. I have another friend who was a driver for an individual who bought repo'ed cars for resale. She was usually impressed with what she was driving.

You would have thought LadyNarana that they would have given the car a good clean out before going to auction.

They did a basic cleaning, but not detailed. It wasn't dripping or anything - sorry I gave that impression. They told her right up front what had happened to the car; she's a tough cookie - she didn't mind. (and the victim survived). Her husband wasn't too impressed. :) They bought it for $100 (the only bidders) and drove it for several years until it finally gave up.

A woman my mother knows bought a car at auction, and while she was driving it several months later, hit a pothole and a bundle of pot fell out from where it had been taped under a seat. She drove straight to the police, sure she was going to be in trouble, but they believed her.

I promise, those are the only car auction stories I know! I'll be quiet now. :force:

LOL That actually happened to my brother too. But he bought the car from my niece who had bought it from someone else. My brother was cleaning the car out and discovered a baggie of white powder in the door speaker.

As for the auctions the only risk I see is that you pretty much buy "as is" and at your own risk. Other then that it looks to be a great place to get a great deal.