Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Geneology

Anyone here interested in genealogy? I have been researching my family tree off and on for the past year after a 10 break. The first time I started was before you could get so much information off the internet. It can be really interesting but difficult if you have a family like mine. Whoever said that people move around more now than in the past haven't seen my research. My mother's paternal family seemed to move ever few years until my great-grandfather settled in Saskatchewan. So far I have information going back to my great-great-grandparents on both my parents families except my paternal grandfather.

I am, but I've never known how to go about it (and how do you know if a person really is related too you?

OMG, I'm captain! YES! (I think I'm the third...?)

Congratulations Captain!! :) :bow:

I have a membership with Ancestry.com They have a number of databases for looking up information. You have to know a little about someone before you start. It is best to get as much information from your family as you can. Unfortunately my grandparents have all passed away and my parents, especially my father, aren't much help.

The Church of Latter Day Saints has a really good genealogy website and it's free.

Family Search

I spent some time yesterday in a Family History Center at one of the local churches for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. They have a membership to ancestry.com so I could use their pc's to do my research. You can also order copies of microfilm for temporary use from the main library in Salt Lake City.

I haven't worked on it for a while either but I started getting back into it just lately.

My father and one of his cousins are the two who have traced his side of the family. On my mother's side, we have a lot of oral history, and some actually traced. Dad has gone so far as to go to Scotland and do some more research there. I met a cousin online (tenth cousin, twelve times removed - we figured it out) whose father had done the same thing, but in England, and he mailed his research to me.

I love doing research online, but experts still say to check your information at the actual source, just to make sure there are no mistakes. Unfortunately, even the LDS online sources have been known to contain errors. (My mom picked up a couple on her family.)

I love doing geneaology. My teetotaling, serious, four-times-great-grandfather was a Dutch-descended sea captain who swore until the day he died that he saw a mermaid while on the ocean. My grandfather can remember him telling the story...

im not sure i just know my dads family is from poland.. and my moms from montreal.. her mom was from montreal and her mom was from romania.. and then my grandpa (moms side) was from BC and his parents from Britian.. ill check out that site though thanx! :assimilated: