Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldfan1

FEDCON USA CANCELLED IN MID CONVENTION

FEDCON USA was closed down in mid convention on June 14, here's the story from Trek today.

By T'Bonz

June 15, 2008 - 7:40 PM

During the second day of the FedCon USA convention, being held in Dallas, Texas, the convention was abruptly canceled due to low attendance.

As reported by TrekMovie.com, after John Billingsley, the first Saturday guest, had finished his appearance, Richard Anderson, show MC, came out and informed the crowd that "We have no choice but to cancel the remainder of the event."

The reason given for the cancellation was lower-than-expected attendance. Organizers had been "hoping for people to show up," but when they didn't, "we ha[d] no choice," Anderson explained. He then explained that attendees would get a full refund, with those who bought tickets at the event getting them first and others would get their refunds "at a later date."

Anderson said that FedCon USA organizer and TrekUnited founder Tim Brazeal, who was not in attendance due to illness, would "go into personal debt" to pay back all attendees.

FedCon Germany, who had licensed the name to Brazeal, had disassociated themselves with FedCon USA back in January and according to Billingsley, "this has nothing to do with FedCon Germany."

According to Chuck Ballard, Brazeal's son, "The biggest matter was disorganization. Tim is very smart, but we were spread thin, and some areas didn’t get covered."

To read more, head to the article located here.

HERE

Well, THATS pretty embarrassing. I've never heard of that happening before!

the Germans fans are shocked and very angry.

they fear that their reputation could be ruined anyway...

I hope that this question will be cleared, because I have already bought a ticket for FedCon 2009!!!

FedCon Germany, who had licensed the name to Brazeal, had disassociated themselves with FedCon USA back in January and according to Billingsley, "this has nothing to do with FedCon Germany."

the Germans fans are shocked and very angry.

they fear that their reputation could be ruined anyway...

I hope that this question will be cleared, because I have already bought a ticket for FedCon 2009!!!

Don't worry, this isn't related to FedCon Germany.

I agree with MrPsychic. This has nothing to do with FedCon Germany. They disassoaciated themselves with this con months ago. Perhaps they won't sell their name rights again. FedCon Germany has a con with a great reputation, and I'm sure they will work hard to maintain it.

Wow!! I did have a convention get canceled months before it was to happen, get rescheduled then cancelled. which totally stunk!

i feel for those who paid out to attend the event.

FedCon USA organizer and TrekUnited founder Tim Brazeal

Well there's a surprise. :P

Tim Brazeal and "impractical disasters" go very well together.

FEDCON Germany were insane to let that man use their name, and they certainly should have done a better job of making the customers understand clearly that they had pulled out and that Brazeal was organising the "convention" himself.

It's bizarre that FEDCON Germany would trust their brand name with someone with absolutely no organising experience. Someone who's list of accomplishments in science-fiction fandom amount to absolutely nothing. If FEDCON Germany's brandname suffers because of the association they blundered into with Brazeal, then they brought it upon themselves.

For those who didn't know about Brazeal and his history of failures, and got poor value for money. I hope they take action to get their money back as quickly as possible.

For those who knew fully well what Brazeal was all about, yet still gave him your money, you got what you deserved. You've been warned since 2004 about Tim Brazeal and his group. If you ignored or dismissed that criticism of him, then hopefully now you'll wake up and smell the coffee (which tastes better than Kool-Aid).

we didn't know anything about this Tim...

however, it's funny that Fedcon Germany sent to me three times the same letter with the ticket for the next year...

it seems that I'm the only person who received the same letter more than once...

what an honour...

perhaps it's because Brent joked in Bellaria calling me as "his sister"... :P

- it is only humour, obviously...-