Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Picard

What penny will break the camel's oil barrel?

I don't have a car, but that doesn't mean that the price of gas isn't a problem for me. Milk is just about a buck less then gas, and in Washignton state the price is near $4.22 a gallon. On the news Friday they were saying because of the $11 jump in the price of oil that gas could go up another 10 cents at lest by this coming Friday.

Now, I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking of cutting off most of my cable. I could save $25 a month and still have basic(comes with rent). I will not get rid of my internet for I need it for work and all other bills (buss pass, phone, ect.) cost another $41. Total bills and rent right now is $725 and I get about $900 a month. Having $175 a month for food and emergencies isn't covering it any more, and I believe that if gas hits $5 with the same effect of food I'm going to be SOL.

My question for all of you is where do you think the breaking point for your self?

For me it will be $5... I know for others they just hit it at $4.

I've already gotten rid of cable and downgraded internet to the lowest speed. The breaking point is coming soon - I drive 35 miles one way to work and it will soon reach the point that it will be cheaper to take a cut in pay and find a job locally.

Some people here have neared the breaking point, others seem oblivious. Gas in Chicago is near the nation's highest. I try not to drive much beyond going to work and errands. To me the prices for food at the grocery store are even worse. We are going back and forth about our vacation - I refuse to not go on vacation - for me it's a necessary mental health break!

I have no choice. I am in the delivery business. My drivers travel anywhere from 30-100 miles per day. They are all pretty near their breaking point with the price of gas steadily decreasing our profits.

Kor if your routes include Essex or Rosedale try and buy your fuel in that area, it seems to be the cheapest around Baltimore.

Kor if your routes include Essex or Rosedale try and buy your fuel in that area, it seems to be the cheapest around Baltimore.

We do some work in Essex and you're right. That one mile stretch on Back River Neck Road has the cheapest prices in the state. Last week, they were at $3.89. I'm sure they are higher by now though.