Sign in to follow this  
TheDoctor

Holograms

Okay.

Say you were going to create a holographic person like The Doctor from VOY.

When you first activate them would they already know they were holograms and that you created them or would you have to sit 'em down and explain it to them?

If you did have to explain it to them what if they didn't take it too well? What if they tried to commit suicide by sabotaging there program?

Would they know or would you have to tell them?

I would like to grant them as much freedom as possible too but I don't want them going insane like Dejaren from the episode Revulsion.

Click for Spoiler:

120x90.jpg

He was a hologram that was badly mistreated and went insane.

It was a good episode Revulsion btw.

that was :lol: sad!!! :lol:....he was a madman tho lol.......anyhoo i still think we can whack a mobile emitter on him

:lol: :clap::dude: :lol: :wow::bow: :P :o :) :) :waaaa: :waaaa: :waaaa: :waaaa: :waaaa: :waaaa:

If I designed a hologram, say a personal assistant for whatever I need... I'd design him so that he knows he's a hologram. I'd also give him the kind of programming that allowed VOY's Doctor to grow from a talking tricorder in terms of personallity to a fully fleshed out sentient being. When my hologram became fully sentient, I'd give him the option of pursueing his own life beyond being my personal assistant.

Stardate:213685.9

Yeh i think they would programm them to accept it.But if they did try to commit sucicde i would delete them and start over

I agree that the hologram should be programed with the "knowledge" that it was a hologram.

Hopefully the programming would be as sophisticated enough so that, like VOY's doctor, the hologram can develop sentience. Just being programmed to know its function, and "know" it's a hologram does not mean it is truly self -aware.

I have an idea for holograms on Star Trek. In TNG we got to hear the computer as the voice of Majel Roddenberry. By why do they continue to use "voice" computers? They could make shipboard computers with holographic interfaces. You throw in command hologram protocals like the Doctors. With this idea, Starfleet could have a sentient hologram capable of running the ship on its own, as it would be linked into every system. This would be similar in concept as when Barclay interfaced his mind with the Entprises computer. Actually, this could have even made an intersting Voyager episode --- "The Doctors holographic matrix becomes fused with the ships computer giving him full command of every ship function..." Oh, and um, I'd appreciate it if this idea did NOT leave this chat room.

If I designed a hologram, say a personal assistant for whatever I need...  I'd design him so that he knows he's a hologram.  I'd also give him the kind of programming that allowed VOY's Doctor to grow from a talking tricorder in terms of personallity to a fully fleshed out sentient being.  When my hologram became fully sentient, I'd give him the option of pursueing his own life beyond being my personal assistant.

I'd program the hologram to know and accept its place as my personal assistant.I would not,however,allow its personality to develop enough to become sentient.My hologram is basically a machine like a combine,nothing more or less.A tool to be used to help me.

I have an idea for holograms on Star Trek.  In TNG we got to hear the computer as the voice of Majel Roddenberry.  By why do they continue to use "voice" computers?  They could make shipboard computers with holographic interfaces.  You throw in command hologram protocals like the Doctors.  With this idea, Starfleet could have a sentient hologram capable of running the ship on its own, as it would be linked into every system.  This would be similar in concept as when Barclay interfaced his mind with the Entprises computer.  Actually, this could have even made an intersting Voyager episode --- "The Doctors holographic matrix becomes fused with the ships computer giving him full command of every ship function..."  Oh, and um, I'd appreciate it if this idea did NOT leave this chat room.

i maybe wrong here, but wasnt there already an episode of voyager where the emh had to run the ship to find her crew? BTW i would love a worker hologram, its a tool why let it become sentient and run away. i want my tool to be useful to me.

I have an idea for holograms on Star Trek.  In TNG we got to hear the computer as the voice of Majel Roddenberry.  By why do they continue to use "voice" computers?  They could make shipboard computers with holographic interfaces.  You throw in command hologram protocals like the Doctors.  With this idea, Starfleet could have a sentient hologram capable of running the ship on its own, as it would be linked into every system.  This would be similar in concept as when Barclay interfaced his mind with the Entprises computer.  Actually, this could have even made an intersting Voyager episode --- "The Doctors holographic matrix becomes fused with the ships computer giving him full command of every ship function..."  Oh, and um, I'd appreciate it if this idea did NOT leave this chat room.

They addressed this idea in VOY. I forget the name (as usual) but it was the one where the Doctor incorporates the ability to daydream into his programme. He also recommends the use of a ECH, a Emergency Command Hologramme, which Janeway more-or-less shoots down. However, he begins to daydream more and more and is unable to either prevent the dreams or know what is real and what isn't. Meanwhile, we see a group of aliens, who plan on attacking Voyager, attempting to spy on Voyager by using the Doctor a a kind of 'camera' which will allow them to gain data on Voyager without being detected. However, by now the Doctor is daydraming non-stop and the crew are forced to imprision him for his own safety and theirs (just before he attempted to eject the core, believing that it was the only way to save Voyager) and they decide to view his 'fantasies' to see if they can identify the problem. Among a couple of rather lewd :tear: dreams, the crew come across one where the bridge crew are incapacitated due to a Borg attack and the Doctor becomes the ECH and destroys the Borg sphere with a fictional weapon, the Plutonic Cannon, in one blast. As Janeway prepares to leave she sees the Doctor saying to her, in a daydream, that all he ever wanted was to reach his full potential and to help his friends. Sadder but wiser, Janeway leaves. Meanwhile, on the alien vessel, the alien monitoring the Doctor now realises that what he was viewing was not information but the Doctor's fantasies. He cannot tell anyone as he fears for his career over making such a mistake. He manages to communicate with the Doctor and warns him of the attack and states the Doctor will have to play the part of the ECH as in his daydreams, to convince the alien captain that the 'information' is true and that Voyager is armed with the might of the Plutonic Cannon. We also learn that it is the aliens fault that the Doctor's daydreams were malfuctioning. Everything is set in place and after some theatrical improvisation and a few narrow misses, the Doctor convinces the aliens that Voyager is too strong a target and they leave. Later, the Doctor recieves a party in his honor, a StarFleet commendation and Janeway's promise that she will instruct StarFleet to assemble a team of engineers to research te idea of making ECH when they get to Earth.

Presumably, StarFleet was midway through designing one when Nemesis was made.

Obviously, there is more in this episode then I wrote but you get the basic idea.

They addressed this idea in VOY. I forget the name (as usual) but it was the one where the Doctor incorporates the ability to daydream into his programme. He also recommends the use of a ECH, a Emergency Command Hologramme, which Janeway more-or-less shoots down. However, he begins to daydream more and more and is unable to either prevent the dreams or know what is real and what isn't.

That's from one of my favorite episodes of Voyager: Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy

Great episode.

It seems nobody understands what i'm saying. I wasn't suggesting that we create a holographic captain. I know all about the ECH. I was saying they should make a holographic computer. You know, the computer the crew talks to. For example:

When Geordi asks, "Computer, locate Lt. Commander Data." Then the computer responds... "Lt. Commander Data is not aboard the ship" or something to that effect. Give that computer a holographic interface that has sentience. All the hologram would have to do to put the ship into warp would be to THINK it. He wouldn't need to tell anyone. It would be AUTOMATIC. And because as a hologram, his or hers thought process would be faster, he/she could theoretically run the whole ship without issuing a command or pressing a button. Why press a button to access the computer when you ARE the computer! Does it make sense now?

Why press a button to access the computer when you ARE the computer!  Does it make sense now?

I understand, it's too bad they aren't making any of the "Future" Treks now, maybe they will come up with something like that for the next (DS9) movie.

As for not letting the idea out of the room, that's not really possible. If you've ever noticed the Hotbot Spider and Googlebot Spider crawling our board, they are indexing the site for inclusion on Googls, Hotbot and many other search engines. So there is the possibility that if someone typed the right words into Google or Yahoo the #1 search string they get might be this thread.

As an example of this I went to google and typed:

Commander Bolivar STARTREKFANS.NET

As the search and this is what I got:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-...tartrekfans.net

So you can see how it could wind up being read by any number of people from around the world.

I have an idea. Not a very good one though. What if a ships crew were all holograms? They were all sentient like the Doctor from VOY and had individual personalitys and looks. What do you think?

As an example of this I went to google and typed:

Commander Bolivar STARTREKFANS.NET

As the search and this is what I got:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-...tartrekfans.net

I typed the same thing but thedoctor and nothing came up. :borg2:

You may not have been on long enough for the Googlebot to see you yet, we have 2 main spiders that crawl us with some regualrity though. Google and Hotbot.

Go to http://www.hotbot.com and try it there. Here's what I got when I tried:

http://www.hotbot.com/default.asp?prov=Hot...archbox&tab=web

I think that if i had a hologram i would make look vaquely like pierce brosnan (james bond) but i would leave it as a servant most likely programming it to think it was just a holographic tool the doctor once said "whats the differernce between a hologram made to look like a chair or table compared to one that looks huminoid as long as it is without intelligence" also i think the idea of an all hologram creww is creepy 2 much like a robots take over earth thing.... i mean what if they decided that since there ship is oh... say 87.39% more effiecent then the typical starfleet ship they decide that the best course of action is to acivate the holographic core of each and every holo-captained ship and elimate the human crew to increase ship effiecy.... then seeing how effiency is best they start improving thier ships and eventually leave the federation altogether then oh say JOIN THE BORG giving the borg the holographic technology as of yet unkwon to them so they can now impersonate (flawlessy) any and all starfleet members with nothing more then a mobile emitter! i think that any holographic "captain" should be a non sentient program that responds to voice commands

:klingon: :) :o :) :blink: B) :lol: B) B) :rofl::grin: B)

I would avoid holodecks whenever possible.I think,their "magic" would prove far more addictive than the strongest drugs.A person might even find him or herself so hooked on holodeck fantasies that they would withdraw from reality totally.Holodiction,I think its called.I could see myself as being potentially this type of person.

I would also avoid too much interaction with holographic "people".No matter how sophisticated,I have never believed that either the Doctor,or the Soong Androids were truly sentient.