Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Harvey Korman dies at 81

HARVEYKORMAN.jpg

I just heard on Fox News that Harvey Korman of the Carol Burnett show passed away a short time ago at 81 years old. He was a very funny actor.

Harvey Korman

Born in Chicago, Illinois

February 15, 1927

The Sketch Artist

Biography

Born and raised in Chicago, Illinois, the son of salesman Cyril Korman and Ellen Korman, Harvey Korman?s been a character actor as long as he can remember. "In my very first play I played a character part," Korman recalls. "I was in Heidi in seventh grade and I played ?Sebastien? the English butler."

Encouraged by his seventh grade teacher to attend drama school, Korman joined the Jack & Jill Players, an after school drama program. In high school he became active in the drama club, and after graduating from Senn High School he enlisted in the Navy during World War II. After being discharged, Korman returned to Chicago where his high school drama teacher recommended him for the Goodman Theatre. He was accepted and he spent the next four years gaining a classical theatre background.

"I played Hamlet, and performed in all the great plays including the works of Shaw and Ibsen," Korman recalls. "I also did comedies like Arsenic and Old Lace, and realized comedy was for me."

After graduating, Korman went to New York and began studying with Uta Hagan. Over the next ten years, Korman alternated winters working in restaurants, with trips back to the midwest to do summer stock. When the producers of The Red Skelton Show were casting a play in Chicago, Korman landed a part which would later lead to his appearing in some sketches on The Red Skelton Show. That break lead Korman to a four year stint doing sketch comedy on The Danny Kaye Show, which in turn led to being cast on The Carol Burnett Show.

"I?ve heard that they actually said they were looking for a Harvey Korman type when they were casting the show, and someone suggested, ?why not Harvey Korman,?" Korman explains.

Korman spent ten years on Carol Burnett, winning a Golden Globe award, and becoming one of the acknowledged masters of sketch comedy. Korman notes that sketch comedy presents particular challenges that not every actor can handle.

"You learn to work fast," notes Korman. "Yet, it has to have two elements--it has to have truth to it, and it has to be funny."

Korman has gone on to do more sketch comedy on The Tim Conway Show, and has starred in two short-lived series: Leo & Liz in Beverly Hills, and The Nut House. A favorite of director Mel Brooks, Korman?s leering "Hedley Lamarr" in Blazing Saddles helped make that picture one of the highest grossing comedies of all time.

Korman?s other films include: Trail of the Pink Panther, Radioland Murders, and Jingle All the Way, and he appeared as a regular on television?s Mama's Family.

Filmography

Film

Gideon's Webb

Jingle All the Way

Dracula: Dead and Loving It

Radioland Murders

The Flintstones

Betrayal of the Dove

Munchies

The Longshot

Curse of the Pink Panther

Trail of the Pink Panther

History of the World: Part I

First Family

Herbie Goes Bananas

Americathon

High Anxiety, Blazing Saddles

Huckleberry Finn

The April Fools

Don't Just Stand There!

Three Bites of the Apple

The Man Called Flintstone (voice)

Lord Love a Duck

Son of Flubber

The Flintstones (voice)

Living Venus

Gideon's Webb

Jingle All the Way

Dracula: Dead and Loving It

Radioland Murders

The Flintstones

Betrayal of the Dove

Munchies

The Longshot

Curse of the Pink Panther

Trail of the Pink Panther

History of the World: Part I

First Family

Herbie Goes Bananas

Americathon

High Anxiety, Blazing Saddles

Huckleberry Finn

The April Fools

Don't Just Stand There!

Three Bites of the Apple

The Man Called Flintstone (voice)

Lord Love a Duck

Son of Flubber

The Flintstones (voice)

Living Venus

TV

Based on an Untrue Story

The Nutt House

Crash Course

Leo & Liz in Beverly Hills

Alice in Wonderland

Mama's Family

Carpool

The Invisible Woman

The Tim Conway Show

Bud and Lou

Suddenly Single

Three's a CrowdThe Carol Burnett Show

The Danny Kaye Show

Based on an Untrue Story

The Nutt House

Crash Course

Leo & Liz in Beverly Hills

Alice in Wonderland

Mama's Family

Carpool

The Invisible Woman

The Tim Conway Show

Bud and Lou

Suddenly Single

Three's a CrowdThe Carol Burnett Show

The Danny Kaye Show

TV Guest Appearances

Diagnosis Murder, Ellen, Burke's Law, Geor

Diagnosis Murder

Ellen

Burke's Law

George Burns Comedy Week

The Muppet Show

The Wild

Wild West

F Troop

The Munsters

Perry Mason

The Untouchables

Suddenly Susan, The Love Boat

The Red Skelton Show

One of my favorite Harvey Korman bits on the Carol Burnett Show was his portrayal of Rhett Butler in the classic Gone With The Wind Sketch. He says "Frankly my dear, I don't give a" and Carol SLAMS the door, cutting off the rest of the famous line!

RIP Harvey Korman

One of my favorite Harvey Korman bits on the Carol Burnett Show was his portrayal of Rhett Butler in the classic Gone With The Wind Sketch. He says "Frankly my dear, I don't give a" and Carol SLAMS the door, cutting off the rest of the famous line!

RIP Harvey Korman

I have very fond memories of watching the Carol Burnett show with Harvey Korman. He and Tim Conway were a really great comedy team. He also did a great job in a rare serious role when he played Bud Abbott in "Bud and Lou".

RIP Harvey!

I too have lots of memories of him with Tim Conway on the Carol Brunette show..They were a great comedy team..