Sign in to follow this  
Gummy

Shatner Once Considered a Suspect

Star Trek actor William Shatner was once investigated by police as a murder suspect after his alcoholic wife drowned in a pool.

In his new autobiography, Up Till Now, Shatner explains how he tried desperately to save wife Nerine Kidd after finding her floating face down in their home pool - only to discover she was dead.

And the grief-stricken star, who shot to fame as Captain Kirk in the original 1960s TV show, was further devastated when a detective at the scene told him: "If there is any hint of foul play, you are the first suspect."

Shatner writes that he replied: "What are you talking about? This is the woman I loved more than my life. I wouldn't hurt her."

Kidd's death marked the end of a marriage the 77-year-old insists was made tumultuous by his wife's cocaine abuse.

He adds: "I was so frustrated, so angry. We were so close to a wonderful life together but we just couldn't get there..."

"And then to see her drunk... to see our life together being shattered. I would sit in our house and cry. I remember sitting in a chair one morning, my hands over my eyes, sobbing."

A coroner eventually ruled that actress Kidd, 40, died accidentally after she had been drinking by the pool and slipped, hitting her head and falling unconscious into the pool.

Something else that I didn't know...

I remember when that happened. Shatner didn't grieve too long though. He had a new chick within a few months.............

I remember when that happened. Shatner didn't grieve too long though. He had a new chick within a few months.............

Some people's periods of mourning aren't very long. :laugh: