Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Wal-Mart Mean To Underprivieged Kids?

Wal-Mart Mean to Underprivileged Kids?

Posted May 14th 2008 11:40PM by Stephanie Stradley

Filed under: Texans, NFL Gossip, Houston

Like many athletes, Houston Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson created a foundation to give back to the community, particularly to kids from single-parent homes. He loves giving away toys to children who have few things.

TMZ is reporting that Johnson ordered 750 bikes to purchase for underprivileged children, in exchange for Wal-Mart providing ice and water for the kids' event. There was a problem with the order, so Johnson purchased fewer bikes. The story says that the local Wal-Mart responded to the reduced purchase by not providing the ice and water they promised.

Wal-Mart claims that they are going to rectify the problem with the Andre Johnson Foundation, and I hope they do it, preferably in a financially generous way. In the last quarter, Wal-Mart's net income was $3.022 billion, and last year they reportedly donated $296 million to charitable organizations throughout the United States.

Hugely profitable corporation + superstar do-gooder WR buying bikes + underprivileged kids = no water and ice for event? Something doesn't add up in this story, and I'm guessing there are some strange details. Details, of course, that we want to know about because we are nosy that way.

I certainly hope that Wal-Mart has an explanation. I really hope that their donating ice and water to a kids event didn't depend on a huge purchase being made. If so........they suck..

Hugely profitable corporation + superstar do-gooder WR buying bikes + underprivileged kids = no water and ice for event? Something doesn't add up in this story, and I'm guessing there are some strange details. Details, of course, that we want to know about because we are nosy that way.

Are they serious? And yet...why am I not really shocked?

Well, from a strictly contractual point of view, Wal-Mart promises to provide water and ice if Andre Johnson purchased 750 bicycles. Mr. Johnson then bought less bikes. He didn't meet his end of the bargain, so Wal-Mart wasn't obligated to meet theirs.

From a regular every-day point of view, that's pretty lame.