Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Who do you admire?

Who do you admire from history?

Personally I would have to say Julius Caesar. He is one of the most interesting figures in the history of the world and his legacy still stands today in terms of the power he secured for the empire, which in turn influenced the course of history as we know it.

Click for Spoiler:

CaesarStatue2.jpg Edited by TransporterMalfunction

I wouldn't go back quite that far and I won't include religious figures in this but I would have a few.

As an American there's the standards of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Abe Lincoln. From the same time frame as Honest Abe I've always admired General (Later President) U.S. Grant and General Robert E. Lee.

Many Americans look upon General Lee as the military leader of the Confederacy but what many don't know that just as the American civil war was breaking out President Lincoln offered the command if the Union Army to him and he declined because his loyalty to Virginia was stronger then his loyalty to the Union (which was common back then). A lot of people also don't realize that General Lee's home is on some of the most sacred ground in the United States, Arlington National Cemetery was once his home. For those not from the United States that may not be familiar with Arlington National Cemetery, thats where President Kennedy is buried. That's where the tomb of the unknown soldier and it's the most honored national cemetery in the United States.

Getting closer to our time would be the early Apollo astronauts, of which John Young stands out.

But it is Ronald Reagan that I most admire of anyone I can think of in history.

The person I admire most in history is Jesus Christ.  There has never been a better man before or since! :lol:

I agree with CJLP, but not far behind Jesus is Gahndi(sp?). I've always admired him for his beliefs and courage. It takes a pretty strong person to just stand there and take a beating.

Edited by Lubak10

For me its President John F. Kennedy, I believe he is one of the best presidents this country has ever had,right up there with Roosevelt,Lincoln, and Washington. Personally I think he's the last great president we've ever had. He not only was good for the country but he is a war hero as well,saving most of his crew in World War II after his vessel, the PT 109, was sliced in half by a Japenese destroyer.

Even with his back in alot of pain he pulled and swam while carrying a critically wounded sailor for miles until finding an island they could get to.

And it was his dream that man go into space and explore and he was the man that challanged America to get to the moon in less than a decade, and we did it!

When he was assassinated, I was there to witness an entire country in mourning for the loss of a truly dynamic leader. I wish we had more presidents of his calibur today.

Gandhi, Martin Luther King, and as long as power-hungry megalomaniacs from antiquity count, I'm going with Eligibalus (sp.)

No, seriously-- Gandhi, MLK and Winston Churchill.

...General Robert E. Lee. ...

Someone once said that Lee never wrote his biography because there was nothing in his life he either needed to explain or apologize for.

Just for thought...in TNG when Worf had to choose between the Federation or serving the Klingon empire and went with the Klingons because they were at war - I thought his situation was like Robert E. Lee, so did my roommate at the time.

Goodness, historical figure I admire. Well, VBG I understand why you didn't pick religious figures; however, I would have to say those would probably be the persons I most admire because they sacrificed so much for their prinicples.

However, CJLP, some people consider Christ to be more than a man and may find your post too familiar.

Abraham Lincoln, Mother Theresa, Elizabeth Blackwell are all persons whose lives I admire but the one person I most admire has religious connections so I'll keep that one to myself.

The person I admire most in history is Jesus Christ.  There has never been a better man before or since! :lol:

I'm not picking or anything, but since I noticed it on this post I'll quote it. Christ wasn't Jesus' last name it was his "title" for lack of a better term. Correctly said it would be "Jesus the Christ" or Jesus the Son of God.

And where people got the H. that is added in there sometimes between Jesus and Chitst I have no idea.

The person I admire most in history is Jesus Christ.  There has never been a better man before or since! ^_^

I'm not picking or anything, but since I noticed it on this post I'll quote it. Christ wasn't Jesus' last name it was his "title" for lack of a better term. Correctly said it would be "Jesus the Christ" or Jesus the Son of God.

And where people got the H. that is added in there sometimes between Jesus and Chitst I have no idea.

Amen brother VBG :lol: (Sorry I couldn't help it!)

Has anyone seen those films that were funded by one of the Christian churches, starring such well known actors as Ben Kingsley and Christopher Lee? They have titles such as 'Moses' and 'Joseph'. I had to laugh at the advert for their release when the narrator said 'Buy a Jacob and get a free Moses'! :hug:

People I admire from history? There are different people for different reasons:

1. Jesus Christ: Whether you believe in him or not, at the very least he was one of the greatest philosophers in the history of the world (if not THE greatest). His influence on the "Western World" is undeniable. This carpenter's son from a poor territory of the Roman Empire proved that no matter how lowly your beginnings, you CAN make the world a better place. Unfortunately, his teachings have also been used for evil in history. But evil does have a knack for perverting good to its' own ends. That does not change any of Christ's teachings. The message lives. (alright, the sermon is over now)

2. Augustus Caesar: Instead of Julius, I have to go with his adopted son Augustus, who was a far more effective leader. Rome under Augustus had the most prosperous era during its' history.

3. Robin Hood: Yes, many of his exploits are probably myths. Maybe I do not know the "true" Robin Hood. However, the man of legend is someone to be admired. While I do not agree with "robbing from the rich to give to the poor", I do believe in fighting oppressive governments with any means possible, and he certainly did that. He taught me to love the underdog.

4. William Shakespeare: How much of English culture came from this man's mind? I cannot speak for the other English-speaking countries, but his influence is felt to this day in the U.S. I would highly recommend any college course in just Shakespeare to anyone.

5. Queen Elizabeth I: For the same reason as Augustus, except she had the additional challenge of being a female in a male-dominated world. It is tough enough to be exceptional, but try doing it with everyone second-guessing you because of your gender.

6. George Washington: Who would not want to be king? Washington, for one. The U.S. would have made him a king, but he would not have it. Because of him, the democratic experiment was born and, eventually, flourished.

7. Abraham Lincoln: He kept America together at its' most difficult time.

8. Winston Churchill: Of all the Allied leaders in WWII, I find Churchill to be the most inspirational. He kept the English going during their darkest time of the war.

9. General George S. Patton: Never has a general so embodied what it means to be a soldier. I cannot think of any other general in history who I would want leading my troops more than "Old Blood & Guts".

10. Neil Armstrong: Until somebody walks on Mars, you have to love Neil.

11. Ronald Reagan: In my lifetime, Reagan is the barometer by which all presidents are measured. He reminded me what it means to be American. He had his principles and lived by them. He was the only president I was sorry to see leave office.

12. Tony Blair: Like Reagan, Blair is a man who places principle before public opinion polls. I would trade George W. Bush for Blair in a second. I wonder if England truly appreciates him.

Not gonna preach, just wanted to add something on Jesus. Wether people believe he was the Christian savior or not, it's been proven that the man did exist. Also, on a side note, why is it that the name "Jesus Christ" causes more controversy than any other? :lol:

Religion aside (although I agree with Jesus being the Greatest of all) -

1. George Washington - for reasons already given and more.

2. John Adams - generally considered the most underrated President and patriot. And his wife Abigail (Could anyone else have put up with them except each other?)

3. Abraham Lincoln - "I now leave, with the task before me greater than that which rested upon Washington." (Farewell Address to Springfield). No matter what the revisionists say, he was a great man.

4. Thomas Jefferson. Ditto.

5. Ramsses II

6. John Dickenson/Robert E. Lee/Edward Rutledge and others for daring to put aside their personal feelings and arguing/fighting for something they disagreed with.

7. George Washington Carver

The list goes on and on; I have to stop...

I am pretty sure anyone reading my first post wouldn't know who Elizabeth Blackwell was. She was the first woman in the US to earn an MD. I admire the determination and courage it must have taken to accomplish such a task.

Martin Luther, Ghandi, Galileo, Louis Pasteur, Colin Powell, Thomas Moore, Gregor Mendel, Handel, Socrates, John Keats, Mark Twain, Benjamin Davis, Susan B. Anthony.... are all persons who showed remarkable human spirit and in some way made the world better for the rest of us.

Stardate:213677.9

Well George Washington,Lincoln,and Kennedy for being great Presidents.hmmmmm Isaac Newton and Albert Enstein for being so brilliant.Also add Galeio(sp)to that list.

2. Augustus Caesar: Instead of Julius, I have to go with his adopted son Augustus, who was a far more effective leader. Rome under Augustus had the most prosperous era during its' history.

Some very good choices edmcgon, although I would have put Churchill at the top.

Anyway, on your point about Augustus. Agreed, he was the proto-type for the Roman Emperor and a very clever politician. I suppose we will never know how good Julius would have been as Emperor (as he was killed by the senators when it looked like he would be given that role) but for me he is the superior tactician and greatest military commander, along with Alexander. He was also very intelligent with a good wit that allows us to glimse at the stature of this great man through his works.

It can be agrued that the Empire that allowed Augustus to succeed was largely built by Caesar, and that is how I look at it.

12. Tony Blair: Like Reagan, Blair is a man who places principle before public opinion polls. I would trade George W. Bush for Blair in a second. I wonder if England truly appreciates him.

Right, about Tony. I think (as a Briton myself) that Tony has done very well on international policy and has kept his resolve at a time when he needed to make a 'couragous' decision in his political career. However, his home policy leaves something to be desired on most of the major issues, also he has this mad idea about joining the single currency and crippling the economy in the process! :lol:

All the original Nasa test pilots and astronauts (the russians,too)....

Teachers...men and women who do a thankless job for little pay ^_^

Mister Rogers....for making the world a brighter place for his brief presence...

Jim Henson and Gene Roddenberry for being visionaries.....

Ray Bradbury and other great fiction writers for giving my imagination endless pastures to graze and run and play in.... :lol:

My parents,for making me possible....

God for making everything possible.....

:hug: ^_^ ^_^

Some very good choices edmcgon, although I would have put Churchill at the top.

Anyway, on your point about Augustus. Agreed, he was the proto-type for the Roman Emperor and a very clever politician. I suppose we will never know how good Julius would have been as Emperor (as he was killed by the senators when it looked like he would be given that role) but for me he is the superior tactician and greatest military commander, along with Alexander. He was also very intelligent with a good wit that allows us to glimse at the stature of this great man through his works.

It can be agrued that the Empire that allowed Augustus to succeed was largely built by Caesar, and that is how I look at it.

Right, about Tony. I think (as a Briton myself) that Tony has done very well on international policy and has kept his resolve at a time when he needed to make a 'couragous' decision in his political career. However, his home policy leaves something to be desired on most of the major issues, also he has this mad idea about joining the single currency and crippling the economy in the process! :lol:

I should point out that my choices were not in order of admiration. They were in chronological order. I would not put them in order of admiration because I admire all of them for different reasons.

Glad to hear your views on Blair.