Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Divide Florida into two states?

A group in South Florida wants to cede from the state - they think it is in their best interest. The irony is this week some of us have been joking how much we'd like to get rid of them - only we're not joking.

It just surprised me to see it in print.

I am living in Jacksonville right now (north Florida) and it sucks, anybody that wants to live in northern Florida is a fool (no offense) I got to get back to PA or I am gonna kill myself I am not happy in Florida, too many old people that cant frive for 1, and its just too southern for me, I cant get into the uber religious ways no offense to anyone, but on Sundays when all the stations are church shows thats too much I dont go to regular Church anymore why do I want to see it on TV its just too much, Its more racist down here and ugh I see why they call Florida America's wang

No Offense to any Floridians down here its just too much for me, I am a heathen Northern boy

The states will probably be 1) Florida and 2) New Cuba............

What part of South Florida? The Miami area?

They suggested Palm Beach through Monroe - which omits Collier, Lee, Hendy & Glades Co I'd say just everything South of Lake Okeechobee.

Part of the problem with insurance in Florida is that everyone that has built on the hurricane magnet - ie the tip of South Florida - is making rates expensive everywhere even in rural farming areas.

No Offense to any Floridians down here its just too much for me, I am a heathen Northern boy
If you didn't mean to be offensive you wouldn't have posted so take responsibility for your behavior. I know you're going through a rough time and that throws a negative light on everything for you but if you don't like it here - that's just your personal experience and honestly, if your personal situation were different - ie you were able to get out more you might like it a lot better.

Besides, I wouldn't judge North Florida on the basis of Jacksonville - I used to feel safer walking to a subway in DC at night than I felt in Jacksonville in the daylight. That city has some serious problems.

I love North Florida - or what's left of it and I am not a fool. All though it is changing - all the Yankees coming in have definitely had a negative impact. It's getting too crowded and they're raising the cost of living through the sky and of course they're just rude people. It's particularly a problem in St. Johns and Flagler Counties.

I'm also getting tired of all the retirees moving here and then expecting the rest of us to pick their social services costs - health and elder care.

And while I agree there is nothing to watch on TV for an hour or so on Sunday Morning there are options - renting movies, sleeping, reading a book, playing a game - there are more "infomercials" than religious programming and they tend to last all day.

didnt u just agree with me i=on how horrible Jacksonville is, if I lived further south in Orlando or Miami i wouldnt mind it, hell St. Augistine which isnt too much further away would be better, Jacksonville is a ghetto,

didnt u just agree with me i=on how horrible Jacksonville is,

But Jacksonville is Jacksonville - not Florida and you were criticizing Florida - not Jacksonville.

Jacksonville has an unusually high crime rate and really, really bad traffic and waaaayyy too many people from New York.

I work in St. Augustine - a wonderful historic town with lots of seafood, sand and surf. It's really nice when the tourists go home (except that's when the snowbirds arrive).

I had a guy tell me at work about a year ago that more retirees were leaving Florida than moving here - he thought that was a bad thing - that somehow they contributed to our economy. As it was I almost started dancing in my chair. I hear Arizona is a nice place to retire.

I just want the 4 seasons again

I mean we still get frost and stuff in Jacksonville, might as well live where I can truly experience all 4 seasons if I got to deal with that

What year do the Xindi attack Florida? not soon enough

like Homer Simpson said, Florida its america's wang

I mean we still get frost and stuff in Jacksonville, might as well live where I can truly experience all 4 seasons if I got to deal with that

You're not funny - you're really not. To wish death on thousands of innocent people even as a joke isn't funny. I know you're depressed - I know you're down on life but it has nothing to do with Florida that you're so miserable.

You're not funny - you're really not. To wish death on thousands of innocent people even as a joke isn't funny. I know you're depressed - I know you're down on life but it has nothing to do with Florida that you're so miserable.

your taking this topic way too serious

but coming from the North and having to live in the Deep South, well it sucks, people come to Florida to Die and Retire, I mean how important can the state be if the democrats arent gonna include their delegates in the election, i just think the democratic party is pissed cause Florida was the state that re-elected Bush

But you just way to serious and dont understand my sarcasm which almost everybody on here understands

Florida may be a nice place to visit, but to live down here sucks, cost of living is too high for one, only jobs down in Florida are almost all service jobs, I mean the state relies solely on tourism for its income, which is not a stable way for a goverment to run

I'm not gonna argue with you about this anymore,I have my opinion you have yours we'll just leave it at that

Personally, I'd pick Arizona over Florida any day. If Disney and Universal weren't in Florida, I would see no reason to go there.

I've never been to Arizona but the pictures I've seen look beautiful and the zoo looks great. I've been to Florida a couple of times and loved it both times. The first time was 1974 in New Port Ritchie, second time was 1997 in Orlando.

I'm not gonna argue with you about this anymore,I have my opinion you have yours we'll just leave it at that

Rude is rude - labeling it as sarcasm doesn't change that. And I had already stopped talking about Florida and was talking about your behavior.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

Personally, I'd pick Arizona over Florida any day. If Disney and Universal weren't in Florida, I would see no reason to go there.

All these year I've been under the delusion that the Space Program was an important part of Florida culture. They can launch the shuttle here because of the climate.

And, if anyone here has ever eaten a potato chip - it most likely started out in Florida.

Some people think being able to play golf year round is a good thing - not sure why? And some people think that thing NASCAR does in Daytona is a big deal.

And don't forget - Florida gave the world Gatorade. <_<

Seriously, Orlando is the last place I think of going. I'd go to the Kennedy space center and you definitely want to visit St. Augustine if you like history - Kevin, I'm really surprised you haven't been there. (not so many tourists this year) Tampa has a great pirate festival in January - pirates were part of our history long before a certain movie made Pirates famous. Although - some of us took that last scene as hope the next Pirate movie (which we hope there will be one) might be set in Florida - ie the search for the Fountain of Youth.

The most wonderful thing about Florida is that it doesn't snow - I hate snow, I detest snow - I lived over 12 years in snow country, I've shoveled it, driven in it, slipped on the ice it turns into and cursed it's existence. If I had to live in a place that snows I'd ask them to just go ahead and shoot me now and save us all the bother because life wouldn't be worth living it I had to live in the snow.

Space Program was an important part of Florida culture. They can launch the shuttle here because of the climate.

Been there, done that at least 5 times.

And don't forget - Florida gave the world Gatorade.

Big points for that!..... <_<

The most wonderful thing about Florida is that it doesn't snow

Global warming is taking care of that for the rest of us. We haven't had a big snowstorm in Maryland in years.

Hey TUH, the only bad behavior I see is your own. Enough with that nonsense of "I know you're going through a hard time". Everyone rags on different areas of the US, do you hate all stand ups who say something about the south and say about rednecks or about California, or other areas?

Back to the original topic of splitting a state into two parts. I don't know enough about Florida to give an truly informed answer, having never been in the southern part. However, I think there are similar thoughts for those who live in many states. Growing up in "downstate Illinois" actually Northwestern Illinois along the Mississippi River, people hated Chicago, blamaed it for high taxes, crime, etc. I'm sure many would be happy to have it and the burbs become their own state. Having lived in Chicago for 25 years, I still don't love all of it (the crime, violence , noise, corruption etc.), but it has lots oif good things to offer too - culture (theater, music, museums, zoos, etc) professional sports, history, a beautiful lakefront, amazing restaurants, etc. Although tourists can be annoying, they do bring in revenue to the state, and although there is a lot to offer in the rest of the state, Chicago is a tourist mecca and does provide money for all the state.

As far as Florida goes, I loved St. Augustine - the old Fort, the Aligator Farm!, the Lighthouse, the stained Glass at the old Flagler Hotel. Tampa and St. Pete have a great museum and aquarium, Kennedy Space Center is a must-see, Sarasota is interesting for history and the circus connection, the big Starwberry Festival is amazing, etc.

I guess I'd just say all states have their good and bad points and areas. For me, though I'm not a fan of snow, I love having 4 seasons and would miss that terribly.

IDK but alot of Potato Chips are made in PA

Snyder and Utz are 2 very well known Potato Chip companies in america, and were featured on the History Channel that PA is the Potato Chip capital of the World!

Whoo PA Rocks,

PA also has true sports fans Florida fans are mostly band wagon fans, IE Jacksonville Jaguars....and Miami Dolphin "Fans"

I'd go to the Kennedy space center and you definitely want to visit St. Augustine if you like history - Kevin, I'm really surprised you haven't been there. (not so many tourists this year) Tampa has a great pirate festival in January - pirates were part of our history long before a certain movie made Pirates famous. Although - some of us took that last scene as hope the next Pirate movie (which we hope there will be one) might be set in Florida - ie the search for the Fountain of Youth.

Actually, I forgot to mention that in 1997 I did go there. It was part of my Orlando trip with my niece and her husband, in fact aside from spending a week with my nieces husband (he died a year later from leukemia) the best part of the trip was the KSC.

It was about 3 months after they opened the Apollo/Saturn V Center.

shake.jpg

saturn.jpg

I definitely want to go back though, both to Orlando and the KSC. If I were to move away from Hampton Roads though, Central Florida would be one of the places I'd be looking into. After all, no State tax... lol

trekz Posted Today, 12:33 PM

Back to the original topic of splitting a state into two parts. I don't know enough about Florida to give an truly informed answer, having never been in the southern part. However, I think there are similar thoughts for those who live in many states.

You're right - the issue is money and taxes and almost all states will have the same issues. When I lived in Virginia I lived in Fairfax County - relatively wealthy, high property values etc. and there are some poor counties in Virginia. People in Fairfax and politicians running for office suggested it would be "fair" to keep it's property tax money in the county rather than share it with the rest of the state - it's their money their kids should get it. And that's what South Florida wants - bunch of rich Yankees have taken over South Florida and they want to keep their tax money to themselves rather than contribute to the welfare of the state. However, they are the reason our insurance rates are so high so I'm not sure it wouldn't balance out in the end. I don't want to lose the Everglades though - but wait - ooh ooh let it become their tax liability (although they conveniently carved that little section of South Florida and left it with North Florida). It's the arrogance of money.

After all, no State tax... lol
I hope that is still true come the end of hurricane season; thanks to Governor Crist and his "solution" to the insurance crisis - our state may be bankrupt if we have a really bad hurricane season. The state backed insurer has liabilities of several billion dollars more than they have cash reserves. Somebody suggested this guy might be a good candidate for VP - be really, really scared if that happens.

Itchygomba69 Posted Today, 12:49 PM

IDK but alot of Potato Chips are made in PA

Snyder and Utz are 2 very well known Potato Chip companies in america,

And where do they buy those potatoes from which they make those chips. At some point most manufacturers use potatoes grown in Florida. Of course the point was Florida has an agricultural industry and most of its potatoes are used for chips rather than table potatoes.
http://www.birdseyefoods.com/snyder/history.asp

Snyder uses about 70 million pounds of potatoes annually, about 12 acres of harvested potatoes per day. Over half of these potatoes come from Somerset and surrounding counties within 25 miles of the plant. The remainder come primarily from Florida, Virginia, and the Carolinas. Approximately 80 percent of the tonnage used is delivered by Pro-Fac Cooperative.

actually Utz they are made from 100% Idaho Potatoes it was on the History Channe,l Modern Marvels, just a few days ago

Edited by Itchygomba69

UTZ - Best chip.......EVER!....... :)

Edited by Kor37

Seems to me, every state jokes about chopping themselves up. In PA, it's the Big T that should be its own state. I'm sure in New York, they'd like to see the eponymous city become it's own state with each burrough it's own county. California, you got SoCal, the bay area, etc. that you can divvy it into. Here in MI, the UP wants to be its own nation, its own state, or a part of WI. And in the Mitten, what we from the West side wouldn't give to see Wayne County (where Detroit is) made it's own state, and maybe we'll give them the Flint area too, and Saginaw only if absolutely necessary.

I expect this to all blow over and not be thought of too much longer.