Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

The Southern United States

What's your impression of the American South?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever visited a "southern State"?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not yet, I plan to though
    • Not interested in visiting
  2. 2. What is your mental impression of the South?

• The term Southern hospitality wasn't made up for no reason
    • Not very friendly, racism and Confederate Flags are the norm
    • I don't really have an impression
  3. 3. For those that have been to the South, what was your impression after visiting?

• I loved it!
    • I hated it!
    • I could take it or leave it.
    • No impression.

I'm curious about what everyone's impression or opinion of the American South is.

By "American South" I'm talking about the states south of the Mason-Dixon Line as circled in blue in this picture:

US_map_South_Modern.png

I am southern, born and raised in Georgia my entire life. It is a great place to live, but it does get hot during the Spring and Summer. I will be reading what you guys say about me :clap:

I like to think that I am a good example of what most people of the South are like now. I have no hate towards anyone and I try to make everyone my friend

Edited by The Kryptonian

Well, I can't believe that blue circle doesn't come a little lower into FL :clap: - obviously Orlando and points South are losing their "Southern" heritage but Northern Florida is still Southern. In fact, I feel more a part of the South now than when I lived in Northern Virginia.

I have lived in the West, I lived in Nothern VA, and in a couple of different places in FL. There were some notable cultural differences. In the South, you can have a conversation with a total stranger in a store and no one looks at you funny (except for the snowbirds). One thing you can say for Southerners - they know how to fix a meal - I've mentioned this before but there is nothing quite like a potluck Sunday dinner at church (any church) - though I think it might be a dying tradition.

I am southern, born and raised in Georgia my entire life. It is a great place to live, but it does get hot during the Spring and Summer. I will be reading what you guys say about me :clap:

I like to think that I am a good example of what most people of the South are like now. I have no hate towards anyone and I try to make everyone my friend

I was born and raised in Maryland, officially part of the south because of the Mason-Dixon line but wasn't part of the Confederacy. In fact I've lived my entire life in the south if you look at my sig you'll see all the states where I've called home.

Well, I can't believe that blue circle doesn't come a little lower into FL

You're right, I apologize. I've corrected that, for some reason the different colored shading just threw me off on the map. SO I've just taken the circle out completely. The south is really all of the red shaded and striped states so this poll and discussion all inclusive to those states.

Well, I can't believe that blue circle doesn't come a little lower into FL :clap: - obviously Orlando and points South are losing their "Southern" heritage but Northern Florida is still Southern. In fact, I feel more a part of the South now than when I lived in Northern Virginia.

I have lived in the West, I lived in Nothern VA, and in a couple of different places in FL. There were some notable cultural differences. In the South, you can have a conversation with a total stranger in a store and no one looks at you funny (except for the snowbirds). One thing you can say for Southerners - they know how to fix a meal - I've mentioned this before but there is nothing quite like a potluck Sunday dinner at church (any church) - though I think it might be a dying tradition.

Yeah, Northern Va. and Maryland (in the D.C. Metro area) are probably more different than a lot of parts of the country simply because of the government being seated there.

It's funny that you mention conversations in stores though, I was just discussing that with someone and telling her that I went to a Best Buy not long ago for a quick 5 minute purchase and wound up staying in the store for about an hour and a half just talking to people (other customers) and if you walk down a sidewalk and pass someone there's almost always eye contact, a smile and a hello.

I guess since I live in Maryland I would technically be considered a Southerner but I don't feel like one. I've driven through many Southern states but have only stopped/stayed in a few like South Carolina (Myrtle Beach) and Florida (Orlando, Miami). I have found that people are mostly the same all over. I never got any impression that I was in a "Southern" state. The only time it was weird is when you drive to south Florida. There you feel like you are in another country since few people speak English........... :clap:

I guess since I live in Maryland I would technically be considered a Southerner but I don't feel like one. I've driven through many Southern states but have only stopped/stayed in a few like South Carolina (Myrtle Beach) and Florida (Orlando, Miami). I have found that people are mostly the same all over. I never got any impression that I was in a "Southern" state. The only time it was weird is when you drive to south Florida. There you feel like you are in another country since few people speak English........... :clap:

It's funny, I lived the first 19 years of my life in Maryland too and never really thought of myself as a "southerner" either. Then when I was a Sr. in High School we had our Sr. class trip to upstate New York (Lake Placid area) and the people working where we stayed kept telling us that they "loved our southern accents". We didn't think we had accents lol.

Anyway, Maryland is techincally part of the "south" lol.

I never lived in the south. with the exception of being stationed in Missouri for two years which doesn't count for this example, but I have visited Nashville, Memphis, Dallas, Houston, and Orlando. Let me tell you, us Yankees don't compare with you Southerners when it comes to cooking. You can't get a really good chicken fried steak or biscuits and gravy west of the Rockies or north of Mason-Dixon, and forget all about Cajun food.

'Have you even visited a "southern State"?'

Yes. Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida.

'What is your mental impression of the South?'

Don't really have one. For the most part, the way everyone I met behaved was just like everywhere else I had been up to then.

'For those that have been to the South, what was your impression after visiting?'

I could take it or leave it. There's nothing special about the South. Except New Orleans. I'd love to go there again.

Edited by WishfireOmega

For those that say it's like any other place, is that good, bad or neither?

What I'm getting at is the culture or the way people interact. The other places that you've been, are the people "rude" or do they ignore other people in day to day situations or is it generally a friendly environment? Then compare that to when you were in the south, was there any noticeable difference in your public interactions?

Also, in general how would you describe your state (Or country if you're not in the US)? Friendly? Unfriendly? Neither?

It's funny, I lived the first 19 years of my life in Maryland too and never really thought of myself as a "southerner" either. Then when I was a Sr. in High School we had our Sr. class trip to upstate New York (Lake Placid area) and the people working where we stayed kept telling us that they "loved our southern accents". We didn't think we had accents lol.

They are mistaking a southern accent with our Bawlmer accent..... :clap:

They are mistaking a southern accent with our Bawlmer accent..... :clap:

I wasn't quite from Baltimore though, I grew up in Riverdale (a few minutes from College Park). lol

For those that say it's like any other place, is that good, bad or neither?

What I'm getting at is the culture or the way people interact. The other places that you've been, are the people "rude" or do they ignore other people in day to day situations or is it generally a friendly environment? Then compare that to when you were in the south, was there any noticeable difference in your public interactions?

Neither. Some people are friendly, some people are rude.

Also, in general how would you describe your state (Or country if you're not in the US)? Friendly? Unfriendly? Neither?

California? A bit friendly, I suppose. Mostly because we have lots of beach communities where people tend to be more laid-back.

Personally, I like the South a lot. I've been on several vacations (8 that come to mind right now) to the various states and have enjoyed all of those experiences. I think people in the south enjoy an entirely different way of life than the people here. Everyone I've met has been extremely warm and welcoming and more than willing to strike up a conversation or help out with directions or whatever else you may need. My first trip the south was in '84 when I went to Ft. Payne, AL. It's a small town that defines southern grace and hospitality in my opinion. I've visited Florida, Alabama, South Carolina, and Virginia and have loved them all. I've also been west a few times and have enjoyed that as well, but I have to say my favorite vacation spot always has been and always will be the south and the east coast. It just doesn't get any better.

Kinda sorta. I mean, really the only tastes of the South I've experienced are some of the tourist traps, and I think they play it up. I've been to a big city or two in the South, and it didn't seem "southern" to me, but I don't think your urban areas are really going to much.

I remember though, when a baseball player... I forget the last name, had a son. He was giving the baby his first name... Larry. I remember asking my sister, who was living in Georgia at the time, wouldn't it be Lawrence actually? She said, "This is the South. 'Round here, 'Willie' is considered pretty formal." I have some friend in other e-communities who pride themselves as true Southern gentlemen, so I guess there's still some of that alive as well.

both of my parents were raised in the south, to be honest with you i don't really care for it at all. either it's too hot, too humid, too much rain, not enough rain, and usually, a rare appearance of snow that seems to happen every 3 to 5 years. not to mention, i don't really care for the opinions of those that honor the confederate flag. but i guess the one thing i do care for are the restaurants and their prices. too bad i can't make a 10 hour trip for a sonic burger lol.

I liked it so much I moved south. Most people are decent... the racists are not the majority, although people are largely conservative. I would define a true southerner as a person who has raised the action of 'being a good neighbor' to an art form. That includes the good food, and some of the most clever small talk I have ever engaged in, but also help in time of need.