Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Non-Human series?

I know this will never happen but I've thought in the past that a Non-Starfleet or Non-Human series (or movie) would be interesting.

A series or movie about the Klingon Empire or the Ferengi. Or maybe even the Dominion and how it was formed.

I know that only the diehard Trek fans would be interested but I think it would be cool.

It would be cool, but I think it would also be the downfall of Trek. The theme behind startrek has always been humanity at it's core. That would remove that theme altogther. However, if they did happen to do a movie one, I'd like to see something with the Romulans and Vulcans. I've always felt that the Romulans were not touched upon enough. Edited by Lt. Commander Bolivar

I don't think it would ever be done simply because only the diehard fans would be really interested, but I don't think it would be the "downfall of Trek" either. It likely (very likely) wouldn't be successful in the mainstream but to totally destroy Star Trek would take something totally outrageous that would make even the diehard fans turn away.

This is more one of those things that would be "cool" but wouldn't and/or shouldn't be done.

Stardate:213668.9

I agree that it will never be done but if it were i would like to see on based on the Ferengi especially now with Rom as Grand Nagus :laugh:

I agree that it will never be done but if it were i would like to see on based on the Ferengi especially now with Rom as Grand Nagus :laugh:

Would you want to see the modern Ferengi or go back to the first Nagus, Grand Nagus Gint? I'd like to go back to the early days, same in the Klingon Empire.

I would love this to happen! A one off movie such as this would be a breath of fresh air, as well as providing entertaining background infomation on Star Trek. I agree it wouldn't be popular in the mainstream but who cares about them? :laugh: This movie would be a Star Trek movie for Star Trek fans. Unfortunately they almost certainly will not make anything like this, but if they did, I would like to see the beginning of the Founders and the Dominion.

I agree that it will never be done but if it were i would like to see on based on the Ferengi especially now with Rom as Grand Nagus :bow:

What...! Rom is Grand Nagus?????!!!!What season did that happen in?..I have only seen the first 3 seasons..Just bought the 4th on DVD...Can't wait to see how ROM manages that one...DS9 is so cool..It is fast becoming my favorite Trek series..I agree VBG that a non human Trek movie would be cool and I would like to see it..

Edited by spacetigger

I agree that it will never be done but if it were i would like to see on based on the Ferengi especially now with Rom as Grand Nagus :bow:

What...! Rom is Grand Nagus?????!!!!What season did that happen in?..I have only seen the first 3 seasons..Just bought the 4th on DVD...Can't wait to see how ROM manages that one...DS9 is so cool..It is fast becoming my favorite Trek series..I agree VBG that a non human Trek movie would be cool and I would like to see it..

Uhoh we let a cat out of the bag there lol

For Grand Nagus Rom:

Click for Spoiler:

In the final episode Zek calls to say he is retiring and will coms to DS9 to name his replacement. Zek mistakenly thinks he is talking to Rom when it is really Quark so Quark thinks HE will become Nagus. When Zek finally gets to the station with Ishka he hands his secpter over to Rom and explains that Rom is the right one to lead the New Ferengi into wn enlightened luture. He will lead by compassion rather then greed.

Sounds pretty good VBG..I couldn't resist but read the Spoiler..I can't expect everything to be a surprise with DS9..lol..Can't wait to see that episode..Everytime I watch DS9 I feel like I'm watching a brand new Trek series.. :bow:

It would be cool, but I think it would also be the downfall of Trek.  The theme behind startrek has always been humanity at it's core.  That would remove that theme altogther.  However, if they did happen to do a movie one, I'd like to see something with the Romulans and Vulcans.  I've always felt that the Romulans were not touched upon enough.

Well you know in the SF genre we're not really talking about the future, we're talking about the here and now. It's all allegorical and metaphorical and all that. So even if the series was set on Ferenginar or the Klingon Empire there'd still be humanity (because Ferengi and Klingons are really metaphors for humans). Does that make sense?

It would be cool, but I think it would also be the downfall of Trek.  The theme behind startrek has always been humanity at it's core.  That would remove that theme altogther.  However, if they did happen to do a movie one, I'd like to see something with the Romulans and Vulcans.  I've always felt that the Romulans were not touched upon enough.

Well you know in the SF genre we're not really talking about the future, we're talking about the here and now. It's all allegorical and metaphorical and all that. So even if the series was set on Ferenginar or the Klingon Empire there'd still be humanity (because Ferengi and Klingons are really metaphors for humans). Does that make sense?

Yeah it makes sense, when I speak of getting humanity out of a series I'm only talking about in appearance only.

One of the most "human" races on Star Trek is the Ferengi I believe.

we could base it around Starfleet Command III, where the Klingons and the Feds build that starbase to deteck cloaking devices.....so where in the Romulans shoes!!!!.....

I agree that it will never be done but if it were i would like to see on based on the Ferengi especially now with Rom as Grand Nagus :)

Uhoh we let a cat out of the bag there lol

For Grand Nagus Rom:

Click for Spoiler:

In the final episode Zek calls to say he is retiring and will coms to DS9 to name his replacement. Zek mistakenly thinks he is talking to Rom when it is really Quark so Quark thinks HE will become Nagus. When Zek finally gets to the station with Ishka he hands his secpter over to Rom and explains that Rom is the right one to lead the New Ferengi into wn enlightened luture. He will lead by compassion rather then greed.

Stardate:213671.9

OMG IM SO SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!! B) .I totally forgot that some people may have not seen that episode!!!!!! :bow:

To answer your earlier question VBG it would be interesting to see how the Ferengi develop with Rom as Nagus but we dont know much about the early Ferengi so i think i would like to see it based on the early days of the Ferengi.

A series has to be developed carefully and crafted artistically. As a series, I think this idea would bomb. As a big screen movie? I'd much rather see an extra adventure continuing one of the shows, a mixed cast, or a new crew. I think doing a mini-series while having a current tv-series would also be a mistake. Look what happened to Trek when there were 2 shows. Trek went from being massively popular to being a regular show. I believe this was due to over satuation. Sure, it was great for the fans, but I think the general viewers saw too much Trek and got bored. I think the best way to execute these ideas would be to make them in the form of 2-part TV movies. Why 2-part TV movies? Well, since TV movies are cheaper then theatrical and shorter becuase of commercials... one TV movie would be 90 mins on video, but a 2-part TV movie would be 3 hours on video! :bow:

A series has to be developed carefully and crafted artistically.  As a series, I think this idea would bomb.  As a big screen movie?  I'd much rather see an extra adventure continuing one of the shows, a mixed cast, or a new crew.  I think doing a mini-series while having a current tv-series would also be a mistake.  Look what happened to Trek when there were 2 shows.  Trek went from being massively popular to being a regular show.  I believe this was due to over satuation.  Sure, it was great for the fans, but I think the general viewers saw too much Trek and got bored.  I think the best way to execute these ideas would be to make them in the form of 2-part TV movies.  Why 2-part TV movies?  Well, since TV movies are cheaper then theatrical and shorter becuase of commercials...  one TV movie would be 90 mins on video, but a 2-part TV movie would be 3 hours on video! :bow:

It's not really a question of weather the general public would be interested in the project or not, I think we all agree that they wouldn't. This is just a matter of what would we as Trek fans want to see as a show or movie if we were able to have a non-human movie or show created for us.

As die hard Trek fans if there were a movie about a race of people from Star Trek many of the die hard fans (if not all) would go to see it.

So lets say that money and success are not considerations. It is decided to make a movie just to add to the Star Trek story. I would love to see the Ferengi story or the Dominion story. But I think if something were done (and I know it would never be done) it would be the Klingon story.

Oui, as a movie this concept would be well worth my money. They won't do it though as it does not make financial sense. Only Star Trek fans would watch, as a consequence it would do badly in selling tickets and more people would start harping on about the death of Trek. Nor would it make any money. Not what Paramount wants right now. Also, if they were do to this kind of movie, I wouldn't go to see it if it had the Klingons. I feel that they have been done enough in Star Trek and I would love to see a almost unkown race explored, as long as it didn't condradict what is known about them already. I also think there should be a tribute to DS9 in it, simply because (in my mind) DS9 doesn't get enough recognition. :bow: