Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Pictures of M*A*S*H's location

These are some location pics of what once was the M*A*S*H set that I found online a year or so ago and found interesting. I'd really like to go there sometime and if they allow camping in that park camp out under the stars there at the site of the set. I think that would be really cool.

MASH.jpg

MASH_CAMP2.JPG

MASH_CAMP.JPG

I have a bunch of episodes on my TiVo and was watching one when I thought about these pics that I had. I was watching the episode "The Incubator".

MASH used to be one of my favorite shows. I haven't seen an episode in years.

I have 2 Season Passes on my TiVo, one on Hallmark and one on TVLand. I have about 30 episodes on TiVo right now.

We've got the entire series on DVD. It's Robert's favorite show too so we watch it a lot.

We've got the entire series on DVD. It's Robert's favorite show too so we watch it a lot.

I'll have to get them at some point. I used to watch it every week when it was first run and have been watching it ever since.

Got the entire series myself. Would collect AfterM*A*S*H and Trapper John M.D. on DVD if they were released too.

I used to watch Trapper John M.D. every Sunday night, Watched After Mash too.

Nothing compared to M*A*S*H thoguh.

That's pretty interesting Kevin, I like seeing places where famous shows and movies were made.

You got me thinking if databases on that topic exist so I did a quick search and here's the first result.

5 Infamous Abandonments Used in Famous Movies: Deserted Buildings from Cult Classic Films

That's pretty interesting Kevin, I like seeing places where famous shows and movies were made.

You got me thinking if databases on that topic exist so I did a quick search and here's the first result.

5 Infamous Abandonments Used in Famous Movies: Deserted Buildings from Cult Classic Films

Those pictures are great, Kevin! Thanks for sharing them.

Some of the movie Shane was shot in the area around Grand Teton National Park. The old Shane cabin was allowed to stand but was burned by a wildfire a number of years ago. I visited an area around Kanab, Utah that used to be used for filming Westerns. This might be a fun thread to explore!

The comedy was best in the first few seasons,

You have to remember that it was an 11-year series covering a 3-year war. They were bound to run out of ideas sooner or later. Also, the first few seasons were based on interviews between real MASH surgeons and the production staff.

Obviously, but the letters from veterans that became episodes of M*A*S*H extended well into the later seasons. I think it had more to do with how Alda and Rogers played off each other, and with Stevenson. I loved Farrell and Morgan, but it wasn't as funny later on, and I don't think it had a lot to do with running out of steam.

In the later seasons, MASH became more serious and preachy. I like the earlier seasons the best.

Obviously, but the letters from veterans that became episodes of M*A*S*H extended well into the later seasons. I think it had more to do with how Alda and Rogers played off each other, and with Stevenson. I loved Farrell and Morgan, but it wasn't as funny later on, and I don't think it had a lot to do with running out of steam.

In the later seasons, MASH became more serious and preachy. I like the earlier seasons the best.

The main reason for the seemingly split personality, early M*A*S*H to later M*A*S*H was because of the amount of control that Alda had later in the series. I believe his control really took hold around 1977 or 1978 and that's where you really start to see a difference from comedy to more dramatic or as Kor said "preachy" episodes.

I liked the entire series, start to finish but you can see a definite switch in direction once Alan Alda was controlling things.

You're largely right, but if you also look at the writing (which Alda had a hand in too, I know), but look how the laughs were the quick one-liners, and very seldom a significant chunk of any scene. One of my favoriite later-season laughs was when Winchester was guiding the nurses in learning to do triage and B.J. and Hawkeye come in and pull the whole silly army leaders bit... very reminiscent of the way it was done in Five O'Clock Charlie. I loved how the earlier seasons just layered punchline upon punchline. That was missing from the later seasons. Whether that rests all on Alda, I don't know.

But, as I said earlier, I think the later seasons gave us some of the most impressive episodes ever. Some really tremendous stuff. Just not as funny. I love the early and the later seasons equally. Just for different reasons.

You're largely right, but if you also look at the writing (which Alda had a hand in too, I know), but look how the laughs were the quick one-liners, and very seldom a significant chunk of any scene. One of my favoriite later-season laughs was when Winchester was guiding the nurses in learning to do triage and B.J. and Hawkeye come in and pull the whole silly army leaders bit... very reminiscent of the way it was done in Five O'Clock Charlie. I loved how the earlier seasons just layered punchline upon punchline. That was missing from the later seasons. Whether that rests all on Alda, I don't know.

But, as I said earlier, I think the later seasons gave us some of the most impressive episodes ever. Some really tremendous stuff. Just not as funny. I love the early and the later seasons equally. Just for different reasons.

Yeah, I know the episode you're talking about. The one you're talking about was in the Mess tent and Radar was laying on the table as if he was wounded. Hotlips ends up chasing them out. I also think that was the same episode where Radar was in love with one of the new nurses but he was pretending to ignore her. I always liked Five O'Clock Charlie also, I look forward to seeing it on DVD once I get that one.

I found this on Youtube, it's kind of slow in the beginning but near the middle they have some of the cast talking from this past February.