Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

'Family Guy' Cleveland Getting Spun Off

'Family' Guy Cleveland Getting Spun Off?

By KIMBERLY NORDYKE AND NELLIE ANDREEVA, Reuters

Posted: 2008-02-29 18:22:14

Filed Under: TV News

LOS ANGELES (Feb. 29) - "Family Guy's" henpecked husband Cleveland Brown might be getting his own show.

The Fox network and the show's producer, 20th Century Fox TV, are developing a spinoff from their hit animated series centered on Peter Griffin's bathtub-accident-prone neighbor, sources said.

The project, tentatively titled "Cleveland," is being written by "Family Guy" creator Seth MacFarlane, Mike Henry -- a writer/producer who voices Cleveland -- and Rich Appel, an executive producer on MacFarlane's other Fox cartoon, "American Dad."

Cleveland, who plays off black stereotypes, is the most levelheaded among Griffin's trio of friends. He's also pushed around by his wife.

Once canceled by Fox, "Family Guy" triumphantly returned on the network in 2005. It is Fox's top-rated comedy and has grown into a $1 billion franchise with red-hot DVD and merchandise sales.

Fox executives have made it a priority to find another hit animated comedy to complement their Sunday comedy lineup. They have several cartoons in the works, including an animated version of the 2003 short-lived live-action comedy "The Pitts." In addition to "Cleveland," Fox is also developing a spinoff of the drama series "Prison Break," set at a female prison.

I don't know. I don't think this character can carry a whole show......do you?

like the article says, he is the only other character that would work as a spin off. Definitely the most levelheaded.

Cleveland, Cleveland, he's our man! If he can't do it, no one can

That's definitely true. Can't be Quagmire, he would just be a one trick pony trying to find out who to sleep with while going Giggity Giggity. That may be funny, but not spin off worthy. I've always liked Cleveland and I can see possibilites that they can use

I highly doubt Cleveland can carry his own show. Sure he's level headed, but that's a disadvantage in the Family Guy universe. Also, his wife left him recently after having an affair with Quaqmire, so that closes that whole chain of jokes.

Joe Swanson would probably make a better spin-off. It could center around his police adventures.

They can't spin off Cleveland. I love the character, I really do but they haven't expanded him enough, he's only had 1 or 2 episodes where he was the central character. Death has had that many episodes. IMO spin offs centered around 1 character from the original show don't work I mean look at Joey, mind you Frasier did work that's true but if they spun off a character it has to be Quagmire, he's brilliant. He even has his own theme song.