Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Yelchin Talks of Chekov

Edmontonsun.com posted an exclusive interview with Anton Yelchin, the young actor who plays the new Chekov in the upcoming Star Trek prequel movie. Here are few excerpts.

"There's only so many layers you can find to Pavel Chekov. But at the same time, it is fun to sit on the bridge of a spaceship screaming about Romulans," Yelchin says.

As a Russian speaker, he found the accent rendered by Walter Koenig in TOS be a little odd, but he went with it. "It was fun to take things from the old character and bring them to the new one. Words like 'wessels ... wery strange ... Wulcan,' stuff like that was fun. Everything in the film is as much its own thing as it is very respectful of the original."

Yelchin spent all of January on the bridge of the Enterprise and he returns to finish shooting in March. "There is an away team, but Chekov's not on it," Yelchin says of Star Trek

"It's like all the other movies, Chekov is there on the ship and in a couple of important scenes, but it's not like he's Kirk or Spock (played by Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto)."

"J.J. [Abrams] let us decide how much, or how little, of the original character we used. Walter Koenig did this weird thing of using w's for all his v's. I don't know why he did that, but I kept that," Yelchin told The Star Online eCentral during an interview to promote the release of his new movie Charlie Bartlett.

There is no way that Chekov should be on the bridge of the Enterprise during the time this movie takes place!

why not? I've seen the original series, every episode, but I don't know why he couldn't be on the bridge. I may be forgetting something.

Chekov didn't appear in TOS until Season 2. I guess we could suspend belief that every single episode in Season 1 occurred while Chekov was off duty but thats a bit of a stretch don't you think?

I wouldn't say that it's too far-fetched. We see different people on board all of the time, so it is always a current rotation. Not to mention, Chekov wasn't on every episode when he was on the series. Pavel not always being seen would be an explanation of how Khan knew Chekov.

Another thing that kind of made me think that he was there is that they never made a big deal about his first appearance on the series. There was no "welcome aboard" kind of thing. He just appeared one episode and they never did mention that he was new.

Edited by Gamera