Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Picard

German scientists use the blazing sun to chill their frosty brewskies

RELATED SECTIONS: Future Tech

German scientists use the blazing sun to chill their frosty brewskies

beer-fridge.jpg

If you've even poked around the back of your fridge to dig out that stray bag of catnip the cat batted behind there, you might have been surprised to notice that the coils on the back of the fridge actually get hot as part of the effort to keep your munchies cold. The truth is, most cooling devices like fridges and air conditioners use a heat exchange process that cools one area by creating heat in another.

Following simple logic, a group of scientists at the Innovationszentrum Wiesenbusch Gladbeck and University of Applied Science in Gelsenkirchen, have developed a prototype of a fridge using a process called ammoniac-water absorption, that harnesses the power of the sun for cooling. This should be a tremendous boon in parts of Asia and Equatorial Africa where refrigeration and or conditioning is rare.

From DW-World

I have to ask if that is Kor in that picture from his early days...

Well, Kor does love beer, and I believe he has been to Germany, so ... Draw your own conclusions. <_<

I think I read about this process (or similar) being used in ancient times to make ice. The exact device maybe, but I don't think the concept is new.

Add the fact that I've never had a "fro"... :spock:

Gotta hand it to the Germans,though......always at the forefront of beer technology!.... <_<

It's not as innovative as you might think. That technology has been used for years in RV refrigerators that can be run on propane or electric. On propane there is a flame that heats the ammonia solution filled "coils" like those on the back of a refrigerator. They are just using a different source for the heat not a new process.