Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ktrek

I have finally decided!

Guest Ktrek

Well, I have decided to throw my lot in with Obama. I have been a Republican most of my adult life and have voted that way with the exception of Jimmy Carter. However, I can no longer support the Republican position as it currently stands. In Texas our primaries are May 4th, I think, and I intend to vote for Obama. Hillary is way too scary for me. I also cannot understand why anyone would think that a Bush, Clinton, Bush and Clinton again dynasty is good for this country. If you have valid reasons I'd like to know! Why should two families be allowed to run the country for a quarter of a century? It makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever. OK, I admit she was First Lady but that does not qualify her to be President. She also has no leadership qualities. I suppose the first time America is in real danger she is just going to sit in the oval office and "cry"? I could care less about her tears and how personal she thinks all this is. I care about a "vision" for America that is better than the one we have today and I think Obama has that vision and he believes in the "people" and not the politicians. Change begins with me and change begins with you, and if enough of us "get" what Obama is saying we can make a difference in this country.

Now, that said, let me say that even though I do not want to vote for McCain in November he will be getting my vote if it means defeating Hillary. I'm very encouraged by the advances Obama has made. In polls only a few weeks back the news media was telling us he had NO chance but now look where he is! Running neck and neck with Hillary. The Clintons do not play nice and their tactics are unscrupulous but I think Obama can overtake her. Just today it was announced that she was having to "lend" (of course expecting full restitution) $5 Million of her own money to her campaign. Obama does not have the deep pockets of Hillary but guess what? He has raised almost that much in 24 hours just from those who believe in him. Last month in 31 days his supporters raised $32 Million dollars. No big corporations like Hillary just common people like you and me!

If you have not listened to Obama and heard what he has to say then please go to barackobama.com and check out the Media section and listen to his speeches. He is one who can motivate and make you proud once again to be an American.

If you find yourself that you cannot support Hillary I would ask you to please consider donating even just $25.00 to his campaign. He needs money to pay for advertising in order to overcome Hillary. Every little bit helps!

I believe and think that Obama has what it takes to be a GREAT President. He genuinely cares for the people. He has not sold out to Washington politics and he has INTEGRITY.

If this Republican can find hope in a Democrat than I know others can also! A vote for Obama is a vote for hope and change. We can do this!

Kevin

You haven't listed a single specific reason why I should vote for Obama. Where does he stand on the issues?

Socialized medicine, amnesty for illegal immigrants, raising the minimum wage and various forms of wealth transfer.

Here's a capsule version of the candidates issues:

Basically he supports the very thing I can not- helping the "lower" classes by taxing the working classes - there's got to a better way than direct wealth transfers (I'm sure there is).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21116732/]msnbc

Obama is junior Senator of my state of Illinois. He is excellent at giving memorable, stirring speeches. I would love to be able to believe that he can achieve all he says he wishes to do. As a member of the older than dirt club here <_< I've been around long enough to hear lots of political promises, that have not been delivered on. I greatly fear that this will be the case with Obama. However, I more realistically fear that he will be ripped apart, besmirched, and soundly defeated by the Republican's and their conservative talk show attack allies.

I expect the race issue to be pushed behind the scenes in the South, West and eslewhere. Sadly this country still has many biggoted people who I expect to refuse to vote for a black candidate. I also expect his middle name to be bandied about inferring that he is Musllim or Muslin leaning. I have read the email lies that have been circulated on the internet about him: that he went to a Madrasa in Indonesia, that his Church is racist, that he was sworn in on the Koran and that he refuses to salute the flag. Despite the fact that these comments are all lies (I get especailly annoyed about the Koran one, where Obama is confused with a Minnesota Congressman who swore his oath on a Koran owned by Thomas Jefferson), there are people out there that want to believe such garbage because they are either afraid, stupid or biggoted. I also expect his admitted drug use as a young adult will be constantly brought up.

Obama does have problems. In the eyes of many he is too inexperienced. In his only tough election he was thumped by Bobby Rush for a Congressional seat. He has served in two political posts, with few substantial bills being passed into law that he originally proposed. As Senator he has been AWOL for over a year campaigning for President and I feel I am short one Senator representing me in Washington DC. He has had dealings with Tony Rezko who will soon be going on trial for influence peddling in Illinois. While Gov. Blagoyovich is expected to bear much of the damage during this trial, there is some possibility that Obama's name will come up and that some damaging testimony may occur. Despite Obama's talk that they had limited dealings, he and his firm were involved with Rezko. Rezko was involved in some very unsuccessful low income housing deals while Obama was busy as a community organizer.

Obama talks of himself as a community orrganizer, but it isn't clear what his community organizing really ever accomplished - there are all kinds of problems for the poor in Chicago to this day.

It's Obama's talk of himself as a reformer that irritates me. He had a real opportunity to back a reform candidate for Cook County Board President in the last election. Instead he ended up encouraging voters to vote for the son of the former board President who was slated without a citizen vote after his father had a stroke. This son Todd Stroger has cut Union health care jobs, closed down public clinics and hired his friends and relatives to lucrative County posts. This Stroger has suggested massive tax increases and revenue ideas like a county wheel tax! He intends to make Cook county taxes the highest in the country - thanks to the support of reformer Barack Obama.

People complain about Clinton's weakness, but I question how tough Obama will be. He doesn't seem to like his experience being questioned and keeps saying he's been totally vetted, but questions remain.

His visonary ideas sound wonderful, but I doubt that he has the strength or the political coallition to bring them to reality. George Bush talked about bringing the two parties together when he came into office and you can see how well that worked out. :naughty:

I don't mean to stomp on anyone's dreams, but I prefer someone who knows how things work in Washington DC to someone who claims they will somehow transform that massive bureaucracy and political quagmire into a pro-people paradise churning out positive improvements for all. I'd be thrilled to see it but don't think it will happen anytime soon.

Obama won the Dem vote here in Georgia and also in SC, so people aren't as racist here as the biggoted stereotype will lead you to believe

Edited by Gamera

Thanks for the insight, Trekz. I've always suspected Obama as being all talk and little action. People are swayed by his great public speaking skills. With Romney out of the race, I have no idea now who to vote for. I'm not voting for McCain or Hilary so I guess my vote's not gonna mean much on election day.

Romney was starting to look good. But now that he's out, I'm stuck between Obama and Clinton. I'm leaning toward Clinton.

Guest Ktrek

You know I'm amazed at the amount of Star Trek fans, not just here but also other boards as well, that say they love Gene Roddenberry's "positive" and "hopeful" view of the future but when it comes right down to it they don't want change because change means changing themselves. We are too comfortable in all or our hates and suspicions to trust a leader that may not have a lot of experience in Washington but he has tremendous insight and wisdom for his age (Christ was only 30 years old when when He led a transforming movement). Go to your public library and read his book "The Audacity of Hope" and find out what this man is really like (I know reading anything beside the Internet these days is a real sacrifice).

Yes he is a liberal and true conservatives will hate him. I have never been a liberal or a conservative. In every political poll I have taken I come out Libertarian.

I have confidence that Obama can and will surround himself with intelligent people to aide him in the office of president. A president does not make decisions in a vacuum or all alone on any issue. His advisors help him to determine what is a right course of action.

One thing I admire about Obama is the ability he has to break down party lines, racial lines, gender lines and age. People from all walks of life are supporting him and some of the most brilliant minds in America are giving him their support. Just today the female Governor of Washington, Chris Gregoire, is now endorsing him. This is a brilliant woman in politics who you would have thought would have backed Hillary.

No I'm afraid that for most Star Trek fans the vision of a Star Trek future is just fantasy and fiction. A fun thing to entertain us but has very little substance or truth for our reality.

Before you discount Obama so easily you could at least devote some time to researching him out. Read his two books. Read his webpage thoroughly. Watch the videos of him on You Tube. Give him serious thought as a candidate. If after all that you still wouldn't vote for him at least you will have done your research without relying upon the personal opinions of others.

I think for anyone to say that Obama is all talk and no substance without actually doing the above probably should not be voting in the general election IMHO.

Kevin

Edited by Ktrek

I am impressed by the youthful supporters of Obama. I'm duly impressed by his wins. But it's the primaries thus far, and I question how many traditonally Republican Red states he can actually win. And there was a lot of youthful enthusiasm for Dean too, but it didn't translate into a Democratic victory.

I didn't mean to sound like I have no hope in this country. I do. But in order to truly change this country we do all have to get beyond our comfort level and really reform it.

We need to set term limits imo. Or we need to resolve personally not to re-elect the same people term after term who are unwilling to change business as usual. Polls usually show that while Congress gets low marks, most people approve of their local representative and keep sending them back. Well sure, because they spend lots of time getting pork barrel projects for their district or state. But think about it - in your whole congressional district, do you really believe that ONLY YOUR representative is capable of making the decisions for your country that need to be made? Being an elected official should not be a lifetime job imo.

To make changes we need some new blood and people who are more representative of their districts than the millionaires who generally represent us. To make that change we need election reform. Publicly funded campaigns at the state and national stage could help level the playing field for other candidates. Limit how much can be spent on a campaign or on advertising for all candidates. Provide free debate and ad time for ALL candidates (who can show a certain level of supporters).

We also need to limit the amount that companies or corporations can give to candidates and parties imo. The influence that corporations currently have is obscene. There should also be limits to the amounts that groups, whether it's the NRA or the NEA, can give to candidates. This could allow normal citizens to have their voices heard more clearly imo.

I think and hope that these changes may eventually occur with the work of all committed citizens. However,

without these major systemic changes imo, whomever is elected will run into business-as-usual Washington DC and not accomplish much. And if that is the case, I'd rather have someone how knows how the system works than someone who is less experienced with mainly hope as their guide.

Here is what I know of Obama on the issues:

1) ABORTION:

Expand access to contraception; reduce unintended pregnancy. (Feb 2008)

Voted against banning partial birth abortion. (Oct 2007)

Stem cells hold promise to cure 70 major diseases. (Aug 2007)

Trust women to make own decisions on partial-birth abortion. (Apr 2007)

Extend presumption of good faith to abortion protesters. (Oct 2006)

Constitution is a living document; no strict constructionism. (Oct 2006)

Pass the Stem Cell Research Bill. (Jun 2004)

Protect a woman's right to choose. (May 2004)

Supports Roe v. Wade. (Jul 1998)

Voted YES on expanding research to more embryonic stem cell lines. (Apr 2007)

Voted NO on notifying parents of minors who get out-of-state abortions. (Jul 2006)

Voted YES on $100M to reduce teen pregnancy by education & contraceptives. (Mar 2005)

Rated 0% by the NRLC, indicating a pro-choice stance. (Dec 2006)

2) BUDGET AND ECONOMY:

Protect consumers with Credit Card Bill of Rights. (Feb 2008)

More accountability in subprime mortgages. (Feb 2008)

Voted against limiting credit to 30%, because 30% too high. (Jan 2008)

Lack of an energy policy is a financial burden. (Jan 2008)

Bush & GOP dug budget hole; need years to dig out. (Dec 2007)

Save $150 billion in tax cuts for people who don't need them. (Dec 2007)

Take China "to the mat" about currency manipulation. (Dec 2007)

Rejects free market vision of government. (Oct 2007)

Regulate financial instruments to protect home mortgages. (Aug 2007)

Return to PayGo: compensate for all new spending. (Oct 2006)

Bush's economic policies are not working. (May 2004)

Supports federal programs to protect rural economy. (May 2004)

Voted NO on paying down federal debt by rating programs' effectiveness. (Mar 2007)

Voted NO on $40B in reduced federal overall spending. (Dec 2005)

3) AFFIRMATIVE ACTION:

Fight job discrimination to give women equal footing at jobs. (Feb 2008)

Remove discriminatory barriers to the right to vote. (Feb 2008)

Benefited from affirmative action but overcame via merit. (Dec 2007)

Include class-based affirmative action with race-based. (Oct 2007)

Better enforce women's pay equity via Equal Pay Act. (Aug 2007)

African-Americans vote Democratic because of issue stances. (Jul 2004)

Supports affirmative action in colleges and government. (Jul 1998)

4) GAY RIGHTS:

Being gay or lesbian is not a choice. (Nov 2007)

Decisions about marriage should be left to the states. (Oct 2007)

Homosexuality no more immoral than heterosexuality. (Oct 2007)

Ok to expose 6-year-olds to gay couples; they know already. (Sep 2007)

Has any marriage broken up because two gays hold hands? (Aug 2007)

We need strong civil unions, not just weak civil unions. (Aug 2007)

Legal rights for gays are conferred by state, not by church. (Aug 2007)

Disentangle gay rights from the word "marriage". (Aug 2007)

Gay marriage is less important that equal gay rights. (Aug 2007)

Gay rights movement is somewhat like civil rights movement. (Aug 2007)

Let each denominations decide on recognizing gay marriage. (Jul 2007)

Supports health benefits for gay civil partners. (Oct 2006)

Opposes gay marriage; supports civil union & gay equality. (Oct 2006)

Marriage not a human right; non-discrimination is. (Oct 2004)

Include sexual orientation in anti-discrimination laws. (Jul 1998)

5) VOTING RECORD:

Strengthen the Americans with Disabilities Act. (Aug 2007)

Voted NO on recommending Constitutional ban on flag desecration. (Jun 2006)

Voted NO on constitutional ban of same-sex marriage. (Jun 2006)

Rated 89% by the HRC, indicating a pro-gay-rights stance. (Dec 2006)

Rated 100% by the NAACP, indicating a pro-affirmative-action stance. (Dec 2006)

6) ENERGY AND OIL:

Passed tax credit for installing E85 ethanol at gas stations. (Feb 2008)

Voted YES on removing oil & gas exploration subsidies. (Jun 2007)

Voted YES on making oil-producing and exporting cartels illegal. (Jun 2007)

Voted YES on factoring global warming into federal project planning. (May 2007)

Voted YES on disallowing an oil leasing program in Alaska's ANWR. (Nov 2005)

Voted YES on $3.1B for emergency oil assistance for hurricane-hit areas. (Oct 2005)

Voted YES on reducing oil usage by 40% by 2025 (instead of 5%). (Jun 2005)

Voted YES on banning drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. (Mar 2005)

Rated 100% by the CAF, indicating support for energy independence. (Dec 2006)

7) HOMELAND SECURITY:

Expand Peace Corps and AmeriCorps to 266,000 slots. (Feb 2008)

Put forward a national service program. (Jan 2008)

Give 18-year-old women opportunity to serve. (Dec 2007)

Register women for draft, but not for combat. (Jul 2007)

Support veterans via the Dignity for Wounded Warriors Act. (Aug 2007)

Voted NO on removing need for FISA warrant for wiretapping abroad. (Aug 2007)

Voted YES on limiting soldiers' deployment to 12 months. (Jul 2007)

Voted YES on implementing the 9/11 Commission report. (Mar 2007)

Voted YES on preserving habeas corpus for Guantanamo detainees. (Sep 2006)

Voted YES on requiring CIA reports on detainees & interrogation methods. (Sep 2006)

Voted YES on reauthorizing the PATRIOT Act. (Mar 2006)

Voted NO on extending the PATRIOT Act's wiretap provision. (Dec 2005)

Voted YES on restricting business with entities linked to terrorism. (Jul 2005)

Voted YES on restoring $565M for states' and ports' first responders. (Mar 2005)

8) IMMIGRATION:

Immigration raids are ineffective. (Feb 2008)

Illegals shouldn't work; but should have path to citizenship. (Dec 2007)

Don't deputize Americans to turn in illegal immigrants. (Dec 2007)

OK to provide government services in Spanish. (Dec 2007)

Comprehensive solution includes employers & borders. (Nov 2007)

Undocumented workers come here to work, not to drive. (Nov 2007)

Support granting driver's licenses to illegal immigrants. (Nov 2007)

FactCheck: Lightning IS likelier than employer prosecution. (Nov 2007)

Illegal immigrants' lack of ID is a public safety concern. (Oct 2007)

Immigration system is broken for legal immigrants. (Sep 2007)

Reform must include more border security, and border wall. (Sep 2007)

Sanctuary cities show that feds are not enforcing law. (Sep 2007)

Pathway to citizenship, but people have to earn it. (Aug 2007)

Let's be a nation of laws AND a nation of immigrants. (Aug 2007)

Do a better job patrolling the Canadian and Mexican borders. (Jun 2007)

Give immigrants who are here a rigorous path to citizenship. (Jun 2007)

Extend welfare and Medicaid to immigrants. (Jul 1998)

Voted YES on comprehensive immigration reform. (Jun 2007)

Voted NO on declaring English as the official language of the US government. (Jun 2007)

Voted YES on building a fence along the Mexican border. (Sep 2006)

Voted YES on establishing a Guest Worker program. (May 2006)

Voted YES on allowing illegal aliens to participate in Social Security. (May 2006)

Voted YES on giving Guest Workers a path to citizenship. (May 2006)

Rated 8% by USBC, indicating an open-border stance. (Dec 2006)

9) IRAQ WAR:

Get our troops out by the end of 2009. (Jan 2008)

No permanent bases in Iraq. (Jan 2008)

2002: Iraq will require US occupation of undetermined length. (Jan 2008)

FactCheck: No, violence in Iraq is LOWER than 2 years ago. (Jan 2008)

Congress decides deployment level & duration, not president. (Dec 2007)

Surge strategy has made a difference in Iraq but failed. (Nov 2007)

Clinton has not been consistent on the Iraq War. (Oct 2007)

2002: I don't oppose all war; I do oppose dumb war. (Oct 2007)

Leave troops for protection of Americans & counterterrorism. (Sep 2007)

Hopes to remove all troops from Iraq by 2013, but no pledge. (Sep 2007)

Surge has not succeeded because it ignores political issues. (Sep 2007)

Tell people the truth: quickest is 1-2 brigades per month. (Sep 2007)

No good options in Iraq--just bad options & worse options. (Aug 2007)

Be as careful getting out as we were careless getting in. (Jul 2007)

Troops not dying in vain; but we need plans for success. (Jul 2007)

We live in a more dangerous world because of Bush's actions. (Jun 2007)

Case for war was weak, but people voted their best judgment. (Jun 2007)

War in Iraq is "dumb" but troops still need equipment. (Apr 2007)

Increase ground forces in Iraq to decrease troop rotations. (Apr 2007)

Open-ended Iraq occupation must end: no military solution. (Apr 2007)

Begin withdrawal May 1 2007; finish by March 31 2008. (Apr 2007)

Open dialogue with both Syria and Iran. (Apr 2007)

Withdraw gradually and keep some troops in Iraq region. (Mar 2007)

Iraq 2002: ill-conceived venture; 2007: waste of resources. (Feb 2007)

Longtime critic of Iraq war. (Nov 2006)

The surge reduced violence, but at enormous cost. (Jan 2006)

Begin a phased redeployment to send a clear signal. (Jan 2006)

Saddam did not own and was not providing WMD to terrorists. (Oct 2004)

Initial military was extraordinarily successful in Iraq. (Oct 2004)

Invading Iraq was a bad strategic blunder. (Oct 2004)

We must make sure that Iraq is stable having gone in there. (Oct 2004)

Advance the training speed and get the reconstruction moving. (Oct 2004)

Democratizing Iraq will be more difficult than Afghanistan. (Oct 2004)

Never fudge numbers or shade the truth about war. (Jul 2004)

Set a new tone to internationalize the Iraqi reconstruction. (Jul 2004)

Iraq war was sincere but misguided, ideologically driven. (Jul 2004)

Not opposed to all wars, but opposed to the war in Iraq. (Jul 2004)

International voice in Iraq in exchange for debt forgiveness. (Jul 2004)

I like Obama, and how he wants to bring Americans together (all parties). I wouldn't have a problem with him becoming President. I don't like the idea of Hillary as President though, she is too anti anyone not Dem.

Edited by Gamera

I always get amused when people drag out the "how can you claim to be a star trek fan and not share my opinion of 'x' " line of reasoning. <_< It's sort of like the religious arguments people make - you can't be a Christian if you don't intepret verse 'x' the same way I do.

In fact, I guess people interpret Star Trek much the same way they do the Bible - pick out the parts that support what they want to believe and ignore the rest.

Anyway, so what exactly does Obama have to do with Star Trek - not much by the way I can tell. He wants to delay any NASA plans for space exploration. And maybe I missed something but I thought Star Trek was at least tangently related to science and exploration and discovery.

As for the vision of the future. I don't think there is anyone here that wouldn't like to see a better tomorrow - the question is how to achieve it. And that is where we differ - and that is a matter of political theory not a matter of prejudice or bigotry. Our current system of government - the "good ole boy" way of doing things in the legislative branch, the pork projects, the tax and spend mentality - it is not going to fix what ails our country.

IMO, our country is spiraling down the toilet - in Romney's speech dropping out of the race he made the comment that "...if we do not change course the US will become the France of the 21st century." we'd still be a player but not a leader. I agree wholeheartedly - we desperately need a change in how our government does business. Trekz makes excellent points about how the federal system works or in essence doesn't work - we abhor "pork" except when it's our representative wasting US taxpayers money to fund projects that benefit our own state - maybe give our own relatives jobs.

As most of you familiar with my posts know - I deplore government programs that are nothing more than wealth transfers - ie taking money from me to give to someone who "chooses" behaviors or lifestyles that lead to poverty. Some people take the stance that opposition to welfare is opposition to helping - not at all - but our system of doing things only perpetuates many of the problems that cause economic disparity to begin with. That is what we should be addressing. I should not be paying to provide government documents in Spanish as apparently Obama believes we should. If people want to come to this country they should do what immigrants in the past have done - learn the language. That is the problem - the shift from personal responsibility to a nation of entitlement seekers. From everything I have read - Obama is a supporter of most entitlement programs.

There is a basic element of fairness and personal responsibility that have been removed from our government - and reform doesn't happen because the average American is too busy working however many jobs they need to work to pay all the taxes imposed by our government. Taxes that are used to support useless government projects like bridges that go nowhere and programs that reward bad choices - ie providing a vast array of free services to illegal immigrants (services often not available to American taxpayers themselves.)

And congress, including all senators currently running for president, seem to think there is an endless supply of money to be drawn off the backs of the working class. I think eventually we'll reach the breaking point - maybe sooner - maybe later. IMO, Romney was the only candidate who might be able to address congress's lack of financial responsibility because he apparently understands money better than the rest of the candidates. All the pretty speeches in the world are meaningless if you don't have the means to bring your dreams to pass. Congress is milking their cash cow to death - the question is how long will it last.

I am afraid I am more pessimistic regarding the future of this country than Trekz.

Our Primary is going to be held this Tuesday. This is the first time since I've been old enough to vote where I probably won't. There is nobody left for me to vote for in the primary.

Well Kor, what's worse McCain or Huckabee?

Thats a good question. Now that Romney is out of it, I'm going to have to study up on Huckabee to see if he is someone I could vote for. If not, I may have to vote Democratic this year.

There must be local or state representative contests on the ballot in your primary, Kor. Just vote in those contests if you can't find a Presidential candidate to support. Local and state government can be very important and affect your daily life as far as crime enforcement, local services, decisions made in your state, etc... Plus, fewer people vote in the primaries usually and your vote can actually mean a bit more, since fewer votes overall are being cast.

I felt good about voting in the states attorney contest I was wavering on. One of the candidates who has worked in the prosecutor's office won and hopefully will be a bit less political about running the office than previous occupants. Plus she has a proven record of increasing minority representation in that office, so that is also a postivie imo. On the other hand, this is still Cook County, so hopes of de-politicizing any public office may be premature. <_<

And TUH, I can be as pessimistic as the next person, or worse. :naughty: I do sense a lot of people, however, getting fed up with business as usual in politics and the government. And from that hopefully some posititve change may come, when the frustration level gets high enough.

Edited by trekz

Well I am pissed at the Super Tuesday results for my party. The candidate I want gained less delegates than someone who wasn't even running anymore!

Perhaps your candidate did not speak to the needs of the majority of voters? <_<

Well I am pissed at the Super Tuesday results for my party. The candidate I want gained less delegates than someone who wasn't even running anymore!

Part of that stems for early voting and absentee voting - that candidate probably was still running when people voted. Are you watching the Washington state results?

As it stands, there is one candidate I will vote against in the national election - if he happens to win the nomination - otherwise I might just write in a third party

Part of that stems for early voting and absentee voting - that candidate probably was still running when people voted. Are you watching the Washington state results?

As it stands, there is one candidate I will vote against in the national election - if he happens to win the nomination - otherwise I might just write in a third party

Good luck with that 3rd party thing. History has shown how "successful" that has been <_< :naughty:

Ron Paul, Obama, 3rd party; in that order.

Paul is unfortunately unlikely, Obama stands a chance. I wouldn't feel comfortable voting for Hillary, McCain or Huckabee, so I may as well vote someone who won't win, if only as a statement.

I'm an independent voter. I was going to vote for John Edwards, but . . . . <_<

I'm not thrilled by any of the remaining candidates. But I suppose if push comes to shove I'll throw in with John McCain. Edwards was the most moderate of the Dems. McCain is the most moderate of the GOP. I also like that he has proven the GOP elite cannot bully him. I would like to see him a little less wishy washy. He tends to cave to popular opinion at times. But he's still to be preferred, IMO, to Obama or (God help us all) Hillary.

Obama is generating a lot of buzz. But he has no experience. And I've seen evidence that he takes his obligations in Congress with something less than the enthusiasm I would like to see in an elected representative of the people (missing almost 40% of votes taken). Also, virtually all of my relatives have voted for him simply because he's black. That's not good enough for me. And it shouldn't be for them. Show me some substance Barack, and maybe I'll consider you in 2012.

Edited by Captain Armstrong