Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Picard

Trade your job for your rights?

The Schrammie: Trade your job for your rights?

the%20schrammie.jpg

Story Published: Feb 6, 2008 at 2:22 PM PST

Story Updated: Feb 6, 2008 at 2:22 PM PST

By Ken Schram

SEATTLE - Do you want your job, or do you want your rights?

When forced to choose, which would you pick?

And who would create such a dilemma?

For the answer, I'd like to invite David Zeeck, Executive Editor of Tacoma's News Tribune to stop the presses and come on down.

In an article published earlier this week, David explained why journalists in his employ must give up "privileges" in order to limit the perception of bias.

And just what "privileges" do reporters at his newspaper surrender?

Why, the "privileges" of voting in the presidential primary and participating in the state caucuses.

Well, hang my chad, but I was unaware that voting was just a privilege.

Stupid me, I always thought voting was a right.

Being the magnanimous guy he is, David does allow his reporters to vote in the general election.

Be that as it may, for pulling off a stunt that Joe Stalin would be proud of; for pitting public perception against citizen participation and for buying off constitutional rights with a paycheck, take a bow David Zeeck, because this "Schrammie" is for you.

If newspapers want to limit the perception of bias, all they have to do is to not endorse any candidate. I don't understand why they do that anyway. Their job is to report the facts, not to tell me who I should vote for.

If newspapers want to limit the perception of bias, all they have to do is to not endorse any candidate. I don't understand why they do that anyway. Their job is to report the facts, not to tell me who I should vote for.

A-freakin'-men.

At first thought - this seems pretty outrageous - but it is Ken so I figure there must be more to this. Now, if it was simply a matter of "voting" well since that is done in private and no one knows who you vote for how could it matter?

Now, if you're talking caucuses - where you publicly stand up for your candidate of choice while being seen by the entire community - I can see why some professions would want you to keep a low profile. Personally, I think caucusing is not a good idea for that reason.

As for Kor's comments- "you got that right."