Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Woman Asked For $5 Co-Pay During Heart Attack

Woman asked for $5 co-pay during heart attack

Posted: Feb 4th 2008 12:20PM by Bethany Sanders

Filed under: General Health, Health in the Media, Healthy Aging

Imagine visiting your doctor for chest pain and being rushed off to an ambulance because you're suffering a heart attack, only to be stopped by a receptionist looking for your $5 insurance co-pay. Ridiculous, right? That's what happened to Barbara Antonelli of Staten Island last month. Mrs. Antonelli, 76, was astounded when the receptionist approached her while she was lying on the gurney and reminded her that she hadn't paid her co-pay upon check-in.

The doctors in question have apologized and admitted that the receptionist acted inappropriately (and will be reprimanded). But one still has to wonder. After all, she was only doing her job and something in her training made her rush out to collect that money. A simple mistake? Or a sign of a bigger issue within their office? What do you think?

How pathetic is this?..... :jem'hadar:

It's disgusting, but not terribly surprising. :jem'hadar:

EDIT: How sad is it that my first thought was "Only a $5 co-pay for an ER visit??" Man ours is $50 for ER.

Edited by RikerChick

It's disgusting, but not terribly surprising. :jem'hadar:

EDIT: How sad is it that my first thought was "Only a $5 co-pay for an ER visit??" Man ours is $50 for ER.

That was my first thought too! I have to pay $20 for co-pay.

I think the $5 co-pay was for a regular office visit - she was on her way to the emergency room. She's probably also on medicare - and since that is the federal government who knows what kind of paperwork or misery will ensue if they don't get that $5.00.

All of you should consider yourselves lucky - my ER co-pay is $200.00 and regular office co-pay is $30.00

I think the $5 co-pay was for a regular office visit - she was on her way to the emergency room. She's probably also on medicare - and since that is the federal government who knows what kind of paperwork or misery will ensue if they don't get that $5.00.

All of you should consider yourselves lucky - my ER co-pay is $200.00 and regular office co-pay is $30.00

Jeez.

Your insurance sucks. :jem'hadar:

I'm thinking the $5 co-pay could have been paid by her estate ... if she had had a worse coronary afer being asked! :jem'hadar:

I often am less than impressed at the receptionists found at many businesses. And their actions do indeed reflect upon that business.

When my dad was in the hospital (and ended up dying the next morning) he was in and out of consciousness, and when he was conscious he was dilusional. I wasn't there but the doctor saw his condition and immediately asked my sister if he should send for a priest to deliver the last rites. And you know it, some staffer came up to dad, the doctor, my sister, her husband, the priest, etc. and tried to get dad to sign some paperwork.

Don't get me started......

:jem'hadar:

I see it in two ways, the receptionist was doing her job, the patient couldn't pay at that particular time. It was a big misunderstanding.

Don't get me started......

:jem'hadar:

I see it in two ways, the receptionist was doing her job, the patient couldn't pay at that particular time. It was a big misunderstanding.

While it was her "job" to collect the $5, it's just $5! The woman was in a gurney, ready to be taken to the hospital! There is some judgement necessary in performing any job, and imo this receptionist's judgement was not good, and reflects upon the businesss that employs her. If the receptionist doesn't "understand" how bad it makes her business look, she has a big problem, bigger than being $5 short this month!