Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

OH NOOOOOOOOOO!

OMG! :P Chocolate and beer prices going up? Aren't those two signs of the Apocalypse? :yahoo:

Better buy Nestle and Mars products before those prices go up! And have a quick beer too.

They have to raise the price of chocolate right before Valentines Day? Golly isn't that a convenient coincidence.

They always raise the price of gas before 3-day weekends and the price of beer before the Super Bowl. It's called supply and demand. When demand goes up and supply remains constant (or in the case of beer actually goes down) then price goes up.

Are you really surprised it would happen to chocolate before Valentine's Day? Why would - or should - the laws of supply and demand not apply here?

There is one simple way to convince confectioners to not raise the price of chocolate for Valentines day - don't buy it and don't ask others to. Don't create the demand! I know that isn't something women like to hear but it's the truth.

Obviously I wasn't surprised, and since I don't celebrate Valentine's Day anyway it's not an issue. :yahoo:

Obviously I wasn't surprised, and since I don't celebrate Valentine's Day anyway it's not an issue. :yahoo:

Well......there is at least one husband that gets a break from these endless meaningless holidays!

There is one simple way to convince confectioners to not raise the price of chocolate for Valentines day - don't buy it and don't ask others to. Don't create the demand! I know that isn't something women like to hear but it's the truth.

Could not the same be said of beer - do you suppose all men want to give up beer for the super bowl?

Good point. Market economics applies to beer as well. However, whereas chocolate and gasoline become scarce at the *product* level my post about corn subsidies making less land available to grow hops occurs at the *resource* level. It indicates a long-term trend that outweighs the impact of an individual weekend.

Good point. Market economics applies to beer as well. However, whereas chocolate and gasoline become scarce at the *product* level my post about corn subsidies making less land available to grow hops occurs at the *resource* level. It indicates a long-term trend that outweighs the impact of an individual weekend.

Doesn't it also suggest that this would be a good time to buy land used for less valuable purposes and start farming barley and hops.

Eventually, yes, the price of hops and barley will rise high enough that it will induce farmers to grow these crops instead of government-subsidized corn for ethanol. However, it will take time for the market to adjust. You can't simply tear up all your corn seed, plant hops, and start brewing tomorrow. It also assumes that the government won't increase it's corn subsidies, and don't count on *any* subsidies being cut in an election year.

I was thinking more along the lines of land not currently used for farming or even farm land being considered for "development". Housing sales have practically stalled in FL and all this land people are trying to sell to developers could probably be used for alternate farming because from what I've read there is also a demand for more corn production and will be more if ethanol continues in popularity.

Besides if you quit growing corn for hops - there'll be another sort of Whiskey rebellion.

It's the same issue. You need to take land out of one use and use it for something else. That takes time, planning, resources. It isn't as easy as using corn for feeding livestock or feeding humans or ethanol or corn syrup or other uses.

Hops is essentially a one-use product. Corn has multiple uses so you can bet that weighs heavily on the farmer's decision to use their land for corn instead of hops. As I said, supply and demand forces will eventually compel more farmers to grow more hops but it isn't going to happen overnight.

That takes time, planning, resources.

Then those folks with time and resources should start doing some planning. Not that I care - I'm so depressed over the election results - I'm going to go find a commune in the mountains somewhere.

Wait a minute, weren't you the one who was upset about your primary not counting? If it doesn't count then why are you upset about the result?

We had a constitutional ammendment on the ballot - and while national news talk about how Floridians went to the presidential primary in record numbers - people were going to the polls to vote on Amendment 1.